Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in need of a bit of help with my RNS-E and Nokia phone kit.

I’ve just retro fitted an RNS-E (8E0 035 192 D) to my 2004 A4 B6. Great piece of kit.

I had a Nokia car kit installed professionally when I had the symphony II in the car. All worked fine with Symphony II and RNS-E with my 04 DVD.

I initially had problems with the radio display on the RNS-E. It showed ‘corrupted’ characters and would not let me select stored stations. Reading on the forum I realised I needed to update the software so ordered a 06 EU disc (EU 0450 SW) and installed the disc. The unit re-booted once and all the radio stations, radio display etc returned to normal, Great. Everything now works fine except the phone mute is now on constantly, so I have no sound through the speakers, except the nice Nav lady. The display on the DIS says phone and occasionally flickers to the radio display.

The Nokia phone kit (No. KRY 101 1005/01) is plugged into the RNS-E via two connectors. The problem is still there if I disconnect the phone kit and plug the RNS-E directly into the connectors from the car loom instead of via the phone kit. On inserting the 06 disc the display reads M1N051110_EN0506.

The fan on the back of the unit is also constantly on which drains the battery.

Bit of a long story, but any help would be appreciated

Jon

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did you try to reset the RNS-E (press RADIO and SETUP until it reboots)?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
You say the unit only re-booted once when you updated the software.

A software update usually causes the unit to re-boot twice. Maybe your software update has not completed properly, and that is causing your problems with both the phone and the fan?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I will re-fit the unit later and try the reset and also insert the DVD to see if the unit re-boots twice. I had my local Audi dealer try a new off the shelf unit last week in the car, this too had the problem with the phone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I re-booted the unit and re installed the DVD with no success. After reading through the quick links I realised I may have a problem with my pnp harness. Reading the tread by NSXJR I swapped pins D11 and D14 which solved the phone mute problem. The unit still has a constant 12v supply so the amp is constantly on draining the battery. I’ve tested all the pins on the harness and the only constant 12v supply is on pin D15 where it should be.

Help.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The amp enable pin is pin D13 - this is +12V only when the amplifier needs to be on.

The fan on the RNS-E will run whenever the unit is warm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My RNS-E is still draining my battery. The unit does not power down when the car is locked as it should. The screen stays black, only turning green when I disconnect the power. Sitting in the car with the alarm armed I can still turn on the RNS-E.

As the unit is constantly powered up it gets warm so the fan runs it also powers up the amp resulting in a flat battery. It’s almost as if the RNS-E is not communicating with the car and does not know it is locked.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Is your RNS-E correctly coded for your car? It sounds like it may not be and because of that is not recognising the command on the CAN bus to tell it to turn off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if the RNS-E is correctly coded or not. How do I tell and how do I code it correctly. The car is an A4 B6 2004. The RNS-E is a european model D.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
To change it you'll need to use VAG-COM or get a (friendly) dealer to check it with their VAS.

You should be able to check the coding by going into Engineering Mode (do a search on here for details on that).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been into engineering mode. Here are the results from the Coding section.

Coding:301715
FMC: 0
ARC: 255
KID: 42293
VIN: WAUZZZ8EX4A256192
DTC: 9
CRC: 0X0DD190F3

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The 7 is wrong unless you have the Audi phone interface. Try a 2, 3 or 4 an see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.
I Dont have an Audi phone interface.
So I change the 7 in the Coding line to 2,3 or 4 and this may switch the unit off when the car is locked? Can I do this in Engineering mode?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
jon said:
Thanks for the quick reply.
I Dont have an Audi phone interface.
So I change the 7 in the Coding line to 2,3 or 4 and this may switch the unit off when the car is locked? Can I do this in Engineering mode?
No, you need VAG-COM to change the coding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK. Looks like I need assistance with re-coding.

Specifically, when using VAG-COM, what do I need to do to change the No.7 as I’ve never done this before and whoever I get to help me with their VAG-COM or VAS may not have re-coded an RNS-E before either.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Where are you in the UK?

I've recoded several RNS-E's and am based in Southampton, if that's anywhere near you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m in Norwich. I’ve done Norwich to Southampton in 3 hrs on a good run. Little bit too far, but if I can’t find any local help I may be in contact.

When I get the RNS-E re-coded through VAG-COM is it an easy process to enable TV in motion and re-code the instrument cluster to display the direction arrows at the same time?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
jon said:
I’m in Norwich. I’ve done Norwich to Southampton in 3 hrs on a good run. Little bit too far, but if I can’t find any local help I may be in contact.

When I get the RNS-E re-coded through VAG-COM is it an easy process to enable TV in motion and re-code the instrument cluster to display the direction arrows at the same time?
Instrument cluster - YES, that's a simple recoding.

TV in motion - NO, that's not something we know how to change with VAG-COM. The only way is to get your RNS-E to someone with a special TV-in-motion coding box. I know Proxus has one in the US, not sure who in the UK has one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had my RNS-E re-coded two weeks ago now and have had no more problems. The unit powers down when the key is removed and powers up again when the doors are unlocked.

The new code turned out to be 301311.

Thanks for the help, this forum has been invaluable. I would recommend the RNS-E retro fit to anyone despite my teething problems.
:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.