Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the stupid question , but when i read Navigation plus MMI or navigation plus RNS-E , i was thinking that was the same thing ...
What the difference ??

Thank you very much for the answer...

Bye.
Rs4Fan.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
I'm losing count of the number of times this question has been asked here! A search would have found you the answer...

For the record ...

The RNS-E has an integrated display with the radio, sat nav, MP3 SD card readers, etc in one unit.

The MMI system has a separate display with control boxes buried around the car and also includes control of car setups like suspension.

The confusion is often caused by the startup screen on the RNS-E saying "MMI" - that doesn't mean it's an MMI system, just that it uses an MMI style of user interface (one big knob which you turn and press with 4 soft keys around it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PetrolDave said:
I'm losing count of the number of times this question has been asked here! A search would have found you the answer...

For the record ...

The RNS-E has an integrated display with the radio, sat nav, MP3 SD card readers, etc in one unit.

The MMI system has a separate display with control boxes buried around the car and also includes control of car setups like suspension.

The confusion is often caused by the startup screen on the RNS-E saying "MMI" - that doesn't mean it's an MMI system, just that it uses an MMI style of user interface (one big knob which you turn and press with 4 soft keys around it).
Great , thank you..is more clear..

but :

1) where is the "separate display" for the MMI system ?

2) why in the configuration on the audi site there is only the difference between the plus and the normal ( cdrom) navigation system...

Many thankssss...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You can get the MMI only in certain models, currently the A6 C6, A8 D3 and Q7. If you look at the A3 or A4 you may see references to the MMI system but it isn't the MMI. MMI is an Audi marketing abreviation for Multi Media Interface and is used whereever a system in controlled by the center knob with the 4 buttons around it. The RNS-E has MMI controls build in, the MMI is a multi component system with the MMI controls in the center console.

In the A6/A8/Q7 you can get a MMI Basic and MMI High. If you sit in an A6/A8/Q7 you only see one screen, that's the MMI screen. They also come with the DIS, the display in the instrument cluster. The MMI High comes with the color screen that looks similar to the RNS-E. The MMI Basic comes with a monochrome (red) screen that looks similar to the new BNS 5.0 navigation in the A3/A4.

Today there are the following systems available:
BNS 5.0 (A3/A4/TT MK2), double DIN head unit with CD-ROM navigation, monochrom display
RNS-E (A3/A4/TT MK2/R8), double DIN head unit with DVD-ROM navigation, color display
MMI Basic (A6/Q7?), multiple components (MOST/CAN connected) with monochrome display in dashboard, CD-ROM based navigation may be installed as optional component, controls certain features of the car like air suspension
MMI High (A6/A8/Q7), multiple components (MOST/CAN connected) with colordisplay in dashboard, DVD-ROM based navigation may be installed as optional component, controls certain features of the car like air suspension

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK !!!

Really , thank you very much.
Now i have clear ideas!!

Because in the configurator there is mentioned the word MMI also with RNS-E;That's make my confused.

Thanks again and sorry for the re-request ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.