Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I had a thought and I figured I would post it to the pros here. I have a 2000 A6 which Im about to change out a symphony 1 to RNS-E. I have had an issue which I have seen listed on here where sometimes my DIS flashes or recently the top portion (where the Symphony displays) turns off and I have to press the reset button or turn the radio off/on. Its still under warrenty but there has been issue with the paperwork transfer. To the point, Im going to move the canbus wires from the CLK/DATA positions to the Canbus H/L and was wondering if I need to take the car in for service and I swap the symphony back in will that confuse or alter the symphonys function. I figure the display will not work considering the wires are no longer there, but it is labeled Clock so maybe the clock doesnt function either. Anything you guys can think of let me know
Brian

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would not make such a change if you expect Audi to perform any warranty work. After the change the Symphony I will not work correctly anymore, so hold on until your warranty issues got sorted out or don't expect Audi to cover them under warranty.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured as much thanks for the help, ill get this taken care of first

·
Registered
996 Posts
yes, get the warrantee stuff taken care of first. Those aftermarket or CPO warranty places are always looking for reasons to deny a claim.

If you have the MF steering wheel, relocating the Clk/data wires is key (behind the cluster and inside the rnse harness).

If you don't have the MF steering wheel, it might be easiest to just add the two canbus wires to the cluster and route those to the rnse directly....this is my personal opinion because it requires less work to return the car back to stock to make the Sym I functional with the cluster.

Also, I would build in the wiring for Bjarne's CANGATE device so you can add that later. Trust me, you will want to add it later.

This is all stuff that I can do for you if you want to ship me your rnse harness. There are probably 4-5 other connections that would need to be made/corrected to set up your harness for your pre-2002 C5.

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

Good luck!
-Ted

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually Ive been working on this for about a month, I have a CANGATE already thanks to the hookup from Bjarne. If I decide to add the wires which is a very good idea, where can I get the pins from, I assume they have a part number but if there is a generic pin that will work good enough. And after talking to the dealer today its possible that the temp sensor maybe bad and not the cluster. SO i figure Ill check that first.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you go to NSXJR's website, you will find a comprehensive list of pins and repair wires in the table 'audipins', a great resource.

I found it easiest to get a couple of repair wire for the gray connector in the cluster, and splice those into my harness CAN pins. This way you can swap the Symphony I in at any time, if required for warranty work. This is why I did it this way.

Also there is really no advantage to doing the wire swap, unless you have MFSW and plan on upgrading the controller to the CAN version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts