Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if some kind soul on the forum could help me out, I have just changed my single din Concert radio/cd to a RNS-E unit. All was well until I realised that because the climate contol unit sits lower in a double din housing it no longer fits - basically it's to big. I have since seen a couple of threads that suggest I need to take a file (or similar) to the edges and trim it down, has anybody done this and if so how much trimming am I looking at ? - at a guess I'd say 4/5 mm either side but it would be nice to hear from somebody who has attempted it. All advice welcome.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Your other option is to replace the climate control unit with an Audi double din unit - that's what I did.

Not the cheapest of options but saves a bit of time and stuffing around!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I replaced my climate control with one I bought off ebay, but then I found I got several error messages (faults found) that I could not clear.

Reading up further and with info from others on here, I found that the thing to do is to buy the correct size unit off ebay, or here, etc., and then just use the front facia plate from the new one but with your electronics inside.

Just swap the front circuit boards over between your existing and the Double DIN one, then use your back half with your existing back circuit board plus the new front half which now has your circuit board in it.

No errors ans a perfect fit.

I have read on here that several people have managed to file down their existing unit, OK I guess if you have a steady hand and a power file :!:

Dave.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
It takes about 20 mins to retrim the AC down to size.

1. Mark 2mm points each end at the top of the AC face plate
2. Mark 5mm points each end at the bottom of the AC face plate
3. Join the points top to bottom, carefully as it is slightly curved.
4. Using a junior hack saw, remove the excess either side of the lines.
5. Remove the two guide runners on the back sides of the AC unit with a craft knife
6. Smooth the sides where you have cut down with a hand plane to the lines previously drawn.

I've probably done about 20 of these, also A3 ones, more tricky, and also A2, A3 faceplates of RNS-E systems.

Cheaper than buying a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.