Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums, so many times but have yet not found exactly what I am looking for.
Maybe I suck at searching! ;)

I have a 2003 S4 Avant with the following original configuration:
RNS-D (cd based navigation)
Bose sound system
6-disc cd changer in the glove box.
handsfree (no bluetooth)
TV-tuner in the trunk.
I have also connected a DVDplayer to the TV-tuner, so I can play Mp3 and watch DVD´s

However: I want to replace my RNS-D to a RNS-E unit. so I can play Mp3´s directly from the head unit.
I know that there are interfaces to buy so it´s possible to control a DVD player from the head unit.
But then I have to buy a new DVDplayer and a multimedia interface. This is quite expensive, and for me its more worth to upgrade the RNS.

SO:
what do I need for this upgrade?
I want the handsfree to work, or do i have to upgrade to a BT-system?
TV-tuner is not necessary, but it would be nice (so I still can watch DVDmovies via my DVD player)

http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info...apter---Antennenadapter---Ausbauwerkzeug.html
Is this all I need?
Is the rest just plug and play?
Will I have to change any settings with Vag-Com?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Here are the main steps to upgrade a RNS-D to an RNS-E:
- remove RNS-D, install plug and play adapter, make sure that the CAN wires are connected properly, install the RNS-E
- find TMC tuner and connect CAN high/low in to CAN high/low out and connect atnenna in to antenna out
- remove the TV tuner (won't work with the RNS-E anymore)
- install AV adapter for DVD player more intelligent multi media adapter and new DVD player if you want to control the DVD player from the RNS-E
- basic handsfree will work with your old phone interface, for more you will need to replace the phone interface, cradle and some cabling.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
So the kufatech adapter is pretty much all I need?.
I´m not sure if my car is equipped with a TMC-tuner. I suppose the RNS-E will work just fine without it.

Ok. no TV-tuner. Thats not a big deal.

How about Coding?
Do I have to recode the car with Vag-Com?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my system is up and running.
thanx AudiA4B6US.

I have one question though.

I removed the TV-tuner as you said.
But exactly what is the diffrence between my 4D0 919 146B with 4D0 919 146C / D ?
They look the same, and got the same contacts...

Is the ANY way to connect this tuner to the RNS-E ?
If I cant get the TV-picture, thats not a big deal (they are shutting down the analogue TV here in 5months)
But I would love to be able to use the 2 AV-inputs in the tuner.

cheers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
CAN-bus difference

4D0 919 146B uses the "internal" Bosch-CAN, which is connected to the external TMC-BOX, which in turn translates to Infotainment-CAN signals.
4D0 919 146C / D uses Infotainment-CAN-signals and is connected directly to the Infotainment-CAN. (Infotainment-CAN = Display-CAN)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts