Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I got my RNS-D in, but when I power the unit up and get to the code screen, it won't allow me to select the numbers to enter the code. I am using the right knob to do so. It seems like the only buttons that work are the power on/off.

When I power the unit on, the Audi logo with the rings is the welcome screen, which probably means my car isn't coded for navigation yet, but I don't see why this would affect the function of the knobs.

Also, I have a non-CANbus car, so I didn't connect any CAN wires to the 26 pin harness. I don't think CAN is needed for the unit to function though, only to get the information in the DIS.

Lastly, I didn't connect anything to the reverse wire because I don't plan on installing a reverse camera. I don't see any other function of connecting the reverse wire.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my unit?

Thanks!
Chard

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good call! I did that and it works now, however I don't have the correct safe code (doh!!!!)

I guess the number on the card I was provided is wrong. Does the dealer have this kind of info?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
From your posts on the Yahoo! forum it looks like you've got this fixed now. Is that so?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes and No.

The unit is on and the code is accepted. The radio and CD changer functions (once I find my changer magazine), but the Nav does NOT :(

I am wondering if my unit might not be a DX unit, but rather an RNS-D that needs the C-unit discs. Is that right? Right now, I'm trying to use a DX map disc and it's not reading.

Also, my firmware is 1998...I know the latest is 11/2001. I tried to burn the firmware update CD and it's not reading that either.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
What's the complete part number of your unit?

Someonw who knows more about the CD based Audi sat navs than I do should be able to say if that's a C or D and hence which CDs it will need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure, there is no revision letter on the unit. Here are pics of the stickers:

Screen Shot:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
From the lack of a suffix letter I would speculate that it's a C unit not a D unit.

That would mean that any SW upgrade for a D unit wouldn't work, nor would DX discs. And you would need the rare as hens teeth non-DX CDs.

Is anyone able to confirm my speculation (it's nearly 3 years since I sold my RNS-D so I'm relying on my (poor) memory!).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to update this...

When I first got the unit, it was locked out completely. I had to leave the unit powered on for an hour before it would even let me attempt to enter the code. Once it did, it wasn't accepting the correct code for some reason. I kept trying for the next couple days and it finally accepted it...strange.

Next, I got a map from a DX unit and couldn't get it to work for some reason. I thought my unit was broken, because the seller assured me it's a DX unit. I finally figured out that I have a C unit, not DX. One telltale was the software that showed up in engineering mode: 1998.

The wiring is a bit different for one of the connectors in the rear for the C unit, so I switched that up.

Of course, the DX map disc doesn't work in a C unit, so the next goal was to get a map disc. I was lucky and another member here was kind enough to send me the files.

Final outcome: Got the radio and nav working correctly now. I am a bit disappointed to see that there aren't many selections under special destinations available for me. I think Audi Dealership, Hotel, Restaurant, Filling Station, and a few others are available...not all of them. I am thrilled the unit functions and everything is working, though.

Next step: obtain an A/V adaptor and a Blaupunkt ME3 so I can have DVD and TV playback. There isn't too much information on here regarding which is best (maybe because the RNS-D is outdated) but I found 3 options: Conexx, Nexxtel, and Dietz 1212. Seems like Conexx is the best choice to go with because the contrast, color, and brightness are all adjustable. They were the fastest to respond to my email too. Only downfall, I can't find a US distributor of the product so it'll be pretty expensive to ship over from Europe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts