Audi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Well I have been looking all over the continent for a B5 A4 specific RNS-D unit and as you might know they are as rare as it gets. I have spent hours of research and have thrown up 3 or 4 threads in the B5 section trying to get and as much info as I can. I just got my hands on one however and I need help from you guys on what I need to get this thing up and working. Please if any of you have done a Symphony I to an RNS-D conversion then please help. Let me know what else I will need other than the unit itself and what not. Again, I have researched but am still unclear on how to set it up.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Any specific questions you would like to ask?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just the RNS-D unit itself, nothing else

So, what type of antenna do I need to purchase and where can I find it the cheapest?
Where can I find a harness that will convert my Symphony I to RNS-D
Is Nav-Teq the only place to find maps, or can I find them on here from users?
How can I wire the TV Tuner (in motion) to an OEM FUNK button?
And, the most important one, How do I incorporate a CANBUS or whatever it is called and what exactly does that do?
One more, how can I wire the RNS-D to show the directions on my LCD screen in my cluster? Is this possible in a B5? I know A6 owners can do it so I'm jw.

Thanks so much for your time and I hope you can at least answer some of these

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I have just the RNS-D unit itself, nothing else
You will also need a TMC tuner, since that acts as a CAN gateway translating the Audi version of CAN into the Bosch version of CAN that the RNS-D uses.

So, what type of antenna do I need to purchase and where can I find it the cheapest?
I presume you mean a GPS antenna? You need any GPS hockey puck with a Fakra connector on the cable.

Where can I find a harness that will convert my Symphony I to RNS-D
Symphony I to RNS-D is not a conversion that many have done, I'm not sure you will find a wiring adapter for that. You will probably have to use a Symphony II wiring adapter and modify it.

Is Nav-Teq the only place to find maps, or can I find them on here from users?
Maps are copyright software, we cannot be seen to condone illegal sharing. In Europe maps can be bought from TeleAtlas, since the RNS-D uses Bosch DX maps.

How can I wire the TV Tuner (in motion) to an OEM FUNK button?
You need a latching switch (not sure if the FUNK button is latching or just momentary) inline with the GALA signal that is used for VIM blocking . The RNS-D has 2 GALA wires, 1 for VIM/GALA and one for dead reckoning.

And, the most important one, How do I incorporate a CANBUS or whatever it is called and what exactly does that do?
CANbus is a serial bus that carries many of the signals that the car uses to communicate with the RNS-D (ignition on, lights on, information to the DIS, etc.). If your B5 has a digital clock in the dash then the Infotainment CAN should be available on the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster.

One more, how can I wire the RNS-D to show the directions on my LCD screen in my cluster?
As said above this information is carried over the CAN bus, so you have to wire that up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help.

Do you think a custom stereo shop could help me out with this somewhat or will they get just as much of a headache figuring it out as I am?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Do you think a custom stereo shop could help me out with this somewhat or will they get just as much of a headache figuring it out as I am?
You need somewhere that deals in retrofitting Audi OE components rather than a custom stereo shop which will be more used to dealing with aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so I just got the RNS-D in the mail and it is flawless (at least by looks).

Now, I dont have any of the nav accessories yet but can I still plug this thing in to get at least the radio to work?

Let me know, thanks

And I cant tell which of the numbers is the radio code. Its either 0986 or 1024

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried one of the two codes on the unit and it was the wrong one. That was at 1:30 and its now 5:30 and the unit is still locked. Theres one more code I can try but it wont unlock and I was told you have 3 chances to try and then if not then you have to wait 30 minutes. Any tips? Do I have to keep the unit on for 30 minutes? Or do I have to completely unplug every plug in the unit and plug it all back in? Let me know ASAP as I want my RNSD!!

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I tried one of the two codes on the unit and it was the wrong one. That was at 1:30 and its now 5:30 and the unit is still locked. Theres one more code I can try but it wont unlock and I was told you have 3 chances to try and then if not then you have to wait 30 minutes. Any tips? Do I have to keep the unit on for 30 minutes? Or do I have to completely unplug every plug in the unit and plug it all back in? Let me know ASAP as I want my RNSD!!
You must keep the unit turned on until the lock-out expires - I thought it was 60 minutes and not 30?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys

Ya I figured it all out Friday. I went to the dealer to get a wire to put in slot 5, and spliced it with wire to pin 7 and it works. Thanks so much and I'll probably need more help down the road so be on the lookout for questions.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I went to the dealer to get a wire to put in slot 5, and spliced it with wire to pin 7 and it works.
Yes, the RNS-D needs the SAFE wire connected...

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello guys!

witwer4444 said: And, the most important one, How do I incorporate a CANBUS or whatever it is called and what exactly does that do?
CANbus is a serial bus that carries many of the signals that the car uses to communicate with the RNS-D (ignition on, lights on, information to the DIS, etc.). If your B5 has a digital clock in the dash then the Infotainment CAN should be available on the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster.

follow the TEDYBIGAME-s wiring diagrams, i done all included connectIon CAN-H & CAN-L. I HAVE CHECKED 100 times and the can L&H are connected correctly to cluster +TMC tuner(part number 4B2 919 894)+navi plus unit, the unit is works fine, the radio and CD is good as well, stering wheel butons is ok and navigation are perfect!
THE PROBLEM IS! I DONT HAVE ANY INFO ON INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAY, WHAT IS CAN BE PROBLEM AND HOW TO FIX? LEASE HEL ME, I AM SO TIRED WITH THIS INSTALLATION, ALL IS ALMOST DONE AND THATS DIS IS REALLY PISSED ME OF.
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts