Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!! im new to this.but i just installed my rns-d unit and i thought i hooked up everythin right..but some error sign comes on when it turns on..and the red dipslay around the screen doesnt light up...and my second problem is that the navi is wayyy OFF!! i would be headed towards a city up north and it will say somethin totally opossite and i catch like 5-6 satellites.....if someone can help me..id really appreciate it :oops:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know about the error signal (post a picture of it?) but the nav way off is usually because your GALA wire is not hooked up correctly.

Also sometimes driving around for 10 minutes turning left and right and in circles will let it orientate itself.

John-

xplizittrojan said:
HI!! im new to this.but i just installed my rns-d unit and i thought i hooked up everythin right..but some error sign comes on when it turns on..and the red dipslay around the screen doesnt light up...and my second problem is that the navi is wayyy OFF!! i would be headed towards a city up north and it will say somethin totally opossite and i catch like 5-6 satellites.....if someone can help me..id really appreciate it :oops:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If nothing comes up on the instrument panel (I assume that's what you mean when you say red display around the screen) then you need to check what you have in your car. Firstly you need a TMC unit. It acts as a CAN gateway and you'll not get anything displayed without one. Checkout Dan Gold's web site for details of fitting. - Click on the top most message from Teddy and look through it and Dan's page is the first link.
I agree with Siberian - it sounds like your Gala signal is not connected up properly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What is Gala? Quick description

Ted and I understand this but for the original poster. The GALA wire tracks how fast you are going. The way the Nav works is that it only checks the sats every 60 seconds or so. Everything in between that is tracked based on how fast you are going and the turning of the auto.

So, GALA allows the Audi Nav to interpolate its current position based on speed and direction with occasional input from the sat to confirm.

Without this speed input (GALA signal) it never knows where it is and you always appear 'Off Road' and sometimes miles from your location. Another symptom of this condition is that you map only moves every 60 seconds or so.

John-

ted brefflon said:
If nothing comes up on the instrument panel (I assume that's what you mean when you say red display around the screen) then you need to check what you have in your car. Firstly you need a TMC unit. It acts as a CAN gateway and you'll not get anything displayed without one. Checkout Dan Gold's web site for details of fitting. - Click on the top most message from Teddy and look through it and Dan's page is the first link.
I agree with Siberian - it sounds like your Gala signal is not connected up properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Navi Problems

Hi everybody,

please help me!
I bought a Audi A4 (1999) with navi system a month ago. The Navi worked well till I decided to remove a handsfree telephone kit connected to the Navi. Even if i asked to a Audi Dealer to make the uninstall something was wrong and the navi now don't work well. The problem is:

1) I receive satellites (6-7) but the arrow moves only every 4-5sec and it is not placed in the correct way in the street. The system says "Non digitalized street"
2) the vocal indications are missing, only noise come out from the system instead the indication.
The radio and CD works well.

I have solved the point 2 just reloading the language (maybe something was corrupted in the RAM) but at te moment i cannot fix the point 1.

My first opinion was that the system is not able to receive the odometer signal due to a cable not well connected (i cannot extract the system so i cannot check) but after solving the problem 2 i thought that probably something is corrupted in the RAM and the system don't work well for this reason. I would like to try an upgrade of the firmware but i'm not sure what system I have. I suppose RNS-D but not sure.
How can i verify if My system is RND C or D? If I use a RNS D firmware could i damage the system if it is a C version??
Do you have experience of similar problems?

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Jors

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Have you checked that BOTH speed signals are connected to the RNS-D? It uses one for GALA and one for position updating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you checked that BOTH speed signals are connected to the RNS-D? It uses one for GALA and one for position updating.

NOt yet.
I'm looking for a pinout of the system in order to understand where the signals should arrive. I red some threads in the forum but unfortunately they link to an expired link nav-plus.com and at the moment i cannot find the needed informations. May you help me?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The pinouts will be on the paper label on the top of the unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The pinouts will be on the paper label on the top of the unit.

Good thanks a lot.
Anyway i've found in another thread that i should check the pin 1 in the 8way ISO connector and the pin 5 in the 26way connector. This second seems to be the most important for navigation (the first one seems to be used by the system only for speed volume control).

Anyway I've checked the hidden menu inorder to understand which system I have (for FW update). the results are:

MCM SW: 9430R/8427C
SH SW: 8C08/0024

Project: AUDI2DIN
STAMP: 30APR1999

Do I have a RNS-C or -D? Is it possible to update the FW??

Thank in advance
Bye

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
What does the map CD have written on it?

If it's a DX disc then you have an RNS-D, if not then it's probably an RNS-C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've checked the CD but no way to find the DX logo. Does it mean that I have RNS-C ? Is not possible that i have RNS-D (not DX version?).

THe cables which drive the speed signal to the unit are both connected (pin 5 in the 26way connector and pin 1 in the 8 way connector). I'm even more convinced that my problem is due to SW crash caused by the guy who has unconnected my old handsfree kit. I want now try to reflash the FW, my only problem is to understand which unit I have RNSC or D in order to reflash the correct FW. I've found both the SW upgrade 15-11-01 (for RNSD) and the 300499 (for RNSC). The last one is the same FW i have embedded in my unit.

Do someone know what happen if I try to reflash with an incorrect FW (i.e. FW for RNSD instead RNSC)? Do I risk to crash my unit without possibility to recover it (at the moment the radio /CD works and i would like not lose it!) or just the system reject the CD with wrong FW?
Thanks once more, especially to PetrolDave!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The only way to be sure is to remove the unit from the dash and look at the part number, or check the part number using VCDS (VAG-COM).

Flashing an RNS-C with RNS-D firmware would be a good way to create a brick!

Since the date on the latest RNS-C firmware you can find matches your unit it's most likely that you have an RNS-C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just reflashed my unit with the FW 300499 (the same i had previously in my system). The reflash was OK but the problem has not been fixed.
Now i’m sure that it’s not a SW crash problem, surely something happened to my car that prevent my unit to get the speed signal correctly. I’ll go back to the Audi Service to ask them to check if the signal that arrives to the pin 5 is good or not. Unfortunately i had a very bad service last time i went there, they not take care of my problem and just said to me to buy a new system (for 1.600 euro!!!).
Bye!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Unfortunately i had a very bad service last time i went there, they not take care of my problem and just said to me to buy a new system (for 1.600 euro!!!).
That's how most garages are now I'm afraid, they no longer employ mechanics who understand how cars work but they employ people that look at a diagnostics screen and swap block boxes without understanding why or what they are doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
PetrolDave
I see that you are well geared in this - i need your help - I have done an istall of a RSNd from a concert - I need to connect the speed & gala cable - I have the RSNd harness with the cables already fitted but need to know where on the car to connect these - can you please help or anyone who can - unfortunately the links to nav-plus.com no longer works -
A4 - B6 2002 originally fitted with Audi concert
installed - RSND -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.