Audi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a 2002 EU allroad with: RNS-D navigation unit, OEM TV tuner, Bose sound, OEM trunk CD changer, OEM phone.

I want to upgrade all that to the same level of comfort, i.e. RNS-E navigation unit, OEM TV tuner, Bose sound, OEM trunk CD changer, OEM bluetooth phone and other things if possible.

I bought:
- 4B0 035 192 P (RNS-E EU head unit)
- cable kit from Kufatech, "RNS-D to RNS-E", but looks odd, only two connectors on the other side, one red, another black (is that normal?) plus the one to convert the antennas
- 4D0 919 146 C (OEM TV tuner, compatible with RNS-E, obviously other than the one I have on the car), but without cable
- 8P0 862 335 C (OEM bluetooth phone interface, incl. bluetooth antenna), but without microphone and cable.

What do I still need to buy? Is there anything I can use from the previous setup?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm getting desperate; there is no way to install this?

I would imagine there is an OEM phone module somewhere and that I can simply replace that old one with the new BT one.

Is someone here who upgraded RNS-d to RNS-e? Please?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The parts you bought should be sufficient but you are facing a pretty complex retrofit job. You will need to change the CAN wiring between the TV tuner and RNS-E as well as the wiring between the old phone interface and the new BT kit. I don't think that anybody offers a plug and play harness for this job.

You best route would be to check NSX Jr's chart for the Symphony II to RNS-E wiring (http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNStoSym2.pdf) to see what all the plugs at the RNS-E do. Then check Dan's side (http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/) for details about the RNS-D and its connectors. make a plan of what wires are available now and what needs to get changed and identify the missing wires and pins. Then take the RNS-D to RNS-E adapter you got and add the missing wires and also inlcude the wires.

Or find someone to build such an adapter harness for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information.

Who that someone would be? Customs harness seems to be a great idea.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to ask for such an application. I've been reading for a long time now the various posts on different sites, but nothing much yet. The only somehow related post was written by Christian Forg on a german site (http://7797.rapidforum.com/topic=100279019566), but that's all.

Would someone here be interested with this challenge?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try sending a note to Ted Basile - [email protected]. Ted builds custom harnesses and does a great job. You can see some of what he's done in the for sale section of the forums. There's a post titled "Custom wiring harnesses to compliment a RNS-E installation".

SMF

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I did read it. It does not help much in my case.

My biggest problem is not the RNS-D to RNS-E switch for which I already have the right adaptor from Kufatec, but to have the rest working as well:
- the new "C" OEM TV Tuner
- the new BT phone module
- the new CD changer 8E0 035 111 A
- the existing MFSW
- other extensions (DVB-T, iPod, reverse camera, CarPC etc.) in the future.

I believe I have to modify that adapter, to run cables from the trunk to the dashboard and stuff, but I just don't know eaxctly how and what in order to fit all in it.

Example: Friday I almost completely dismantled the car :) in search for the existing phone module. No success.

Thank you all for your support, anyways.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
From reading your post it sounds like you ar ein Germany or nearby. There are several shops in Germany that do install stuff like that but it's hard to recommend anything without knowing where you are located. if you read/write German, the A4 Freunde forum and Audi4ever.at are excellent sources (use the search first or you will get yelled at).

If you want to do this yourselves, the best thing would be to get a repair manual with the wiring plans. From there you can do an inventory of what's already in the car and what needs to be changed. IIRC, in the A6 the OEM phone module sits under the center console, somewhere where the center armrest is mounted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not in Germany, and "nearby" is a figure of speech. I live in Bucharest, Romania, at 1 day driving distance from the closest point in Germany. In addition, I do not speak, nor read German.

Anyways, thanks for the tips. I probably need a new harness to connect with the old one and with the new sfuff in such manner that later on if I decide to revert to the initial OEM, I do it easily. I am not going to remove anything from the car, except maybe for the old TV tuner and CD changer from the trunk.

Probably the most convenient is to do it myself with all the help I can find here, and then come back and share the results.

Once again, thank you fo your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts