Audi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LCD is no longer working and doing what I see has been a problem on here for many on the past. It's working then black, then working a bit, then black again and now has been black for weeks so I think it is finally gone. Not sure if it is my screen or motherboard or ribbon cable but the ribbon cable is cheap enough to try and then I give up and I am replacing the whole unit I guess:-( When I took out the ribbon cable to inspect it I noticed that two of the end little metal strips on the ribbon cable where it connects to the motherboard have been scratched off (see picture before-although not as clear as I would like it!). Is this enough to kill my screen connection? Anyone have thoughts or know where I might get a ribbon cable now? I know they are a challenge to find at times. Thanks so much to anyone that can help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting me that far! Did that and it seems to be fine. So I guess I am down to screen or motherboard and there is no way to really know between those two other than replacement is there? If the screen died would it really come back and then die again as it did? It was on and off for about two weeks before it totally crapped out, no flickers or anything just either fully working or not. Hmmmm so frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I put my RNS all back together and made sure all my connections looked good and guess what? IT WORKS!!! I think the connection of the ribbon cable to the back of the display just came loose over time. Thanks so much Rabbit for your help and this forum is amazing for having the information to take this thing apart and save me a whole lot of money! I can't wait to tell the dealer who looked at it and said I need a whole new unit for $3,775. Bastards!

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry to dig up an old thread, but my screen has been going black as well. when i wiggle the ribbon cable around it comes back on. I just ordered the radio removal keys. My question is it easy to access the ribbon cable to reseat??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same question. Removed RNS E an hour ago, but no idea where to start to get to the spot that the ribbon attaches too internally. I read that there is an RNS-E disassembly pdf floating around, but no luck finding it. Search criteria "too general" it says. Anyone have it, or guidance to reach the ribbon?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lot more info in this thread
http://audiforum.us/threads/screen-going-blank.14492/#post-91079

... To access the ribbonmake sure the screen is the open position before disconnecting from power so it stays open .. Remove LCD (3 screws make sure you use a good screw driver if u you have trouble taking them out. Loosen ad much as possible thr tighten as much ad possible to break te seal . Then loosen again) then there's a few screws on the sides of the casing and should be able to take off the front .. I'm on my cell phone sorry if it's hard to understand

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, but I have gotten that far. I'm a newb so when I went to put the screen back on the unit (after backlight install completed), the flex cable slid out right in my hand (came dissconnected from inside of unit). Damn.

Now RNS-E is on my table, flex cable is on my table by itself, screen is on my table by itself. Screen is ready to install, but need to find how to re connect the cable first to the inside of the RNS-E unti. I don't want to take apart entire unit if at all possible. I'll check your link but hope this clarifies.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
9 Posts
UPDATE: figued it out. Simple. Two small screws in the top and bottom of the unit, a bunch of slightly larger screws on each side. All of these screws (large and small) are close to the front of the unit. Take em off.
The sides of the unit swivel outwards, making the face of the unit easily removable. NOTE: there is one wire that doesn't have much length, and it attached to the face of the unit, so be careful not to pull the face off too far, i just rotated it to gain access t the inside.
The ribbon connect point is a small brown clip inside the RNS-E, under where the faceplate was just removed, just look inside the unit through the openeing in the metal. Slide the flex cable (aka ribbon) in the clip and pull back on the clip gently to lock the ribbon in place, and that's it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts