Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need your help.

Current vehicle: 2003 - Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Tiptronic, steering wheel without TIP controls
Goal: Retrofit 2005 USP (S-LINE) Perforated Steering wheel WITH TIP controls

Parts obtained:
2005 USP perf steering wheel w/ TIP no airbag
2004 A4 steering wheel w/ TIP & Airbag

Background: I obtained the 2005 Sline Perf steering wheel separately.

In my search for a 3-spoke airbag, I came across a deal I could not pass up, it is the 2004 A4 steering wheel with TIP complete w/ airbag. Assuming they would be direct swap, I thought I could simply use the 2004 air bag, on the 2005 wheel.

After taking apart the 2004 wheel, I was stoked to see that it came with most of the internal components! I SCORED! see below:

So, I start to take everything apart and soon discoverd that this would not be a direct swap. I removed all the internal components and found that the 2004 steering wheel has a different mounting mechanism (apparently) for the horn setup, and also has different harness connectors than the 2005 S-Line. See pics below:

2004 wheel, components removed:

2005 USP wheel, components (not included with purchase)

2004 wheel, horn circuit board, TOP

2004 wheel, horn circuit board, BOTTOM

2004 wheel, horn plate, TOP

2004 wheel, horn plate, BOTTOM

2005 USP wheel, Harness shot 1

2005 USP wheel, Harness Socket closeup

2004 wheel, harness shot 1

2004 wheel, harness socket closeup

2004 wheel, airbag plug

Now, i haven't had a chance to take apart my stock A4 (non-TIP) wheel, so I dont quite know what harnesses/sockets I have to behind my current setup. I am doing that this weekend so I will post pics ASAP. So my question is this:

1. If anyone out there has a picture of their 2005 USP Sline wheel disassembled, can you please post? I want a look at the components involved.
2. If anyone has access to ETKA diagram, could you possibly bring up the 2004 and 2005 steering wheel assembly and let me know the difference in internals (p/n too if you can)?
3. I am assuming I can reuse the "plate" from the 2004 wheel, but i have to get right parts to get the horn portion working. It also seems that 2004 plate will ONLY work w/ the buttons from the 2004. As you can see from the pics above, the shift button harness socket on the 2005 is waaaay different from the 2004, while the 2004 shift button harness wires already apear integrated w/ the airbag socket.

If i left any info out, please ask. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

bump - anyone? NSXJR - i sent you an email via your contact page on nsxjr.com

Thanks in advance!

Brian

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Horn assembly is different...I believe that you have B5 steering wheel (not necessary 2004) but I could be wrong.
Anyway I had the same problem when playing with Sline SW .....

Not sure if you will see much but check this video I did during my swap.
PLAY

·
Registered
996 Posts
Re: bump

deephouse said:
bump - anyone? NSXJR - i sent you an email via your contact page on nsxjr.com

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Brian,
you have a combination of B6 and C5/TT steering wheel parts.

Your 2005 Sline Perf steering wheel is from a C5/TT...and not a B6 (based on the tiptronic wiring that feeds into that 4 or 5 pin black connector).

I'm actually converting a B6 paddle wheel to fit a C5 S6 as we speak.

Maybe, we can kill two birds with one stone.

Let me know if you need some assistance. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts