Audi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey
i have a 2006 a3 with premium package and wanted to retrofit the navplus rns-e. i wanted to know if anyone else has done this to their a3 and how their experience was doing so, good/bad, easy/hard. thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have a 2006 A3 with sport/premium sound/bose/phatbox. I had my dealer do the installation, but watched them do it ( I'm kinda useless with tools ) and it took only a couple hours. ( But come prepared with a printed out copies the DIY install tutorials)

Every thing worked perfectly together cause the unit i got had all the right connnectors. And literally they just plugged it in. Programmed it with the VAG. And i was good to go except for 2 issues.

My install issues were:
1. Power and test you GPS antenna before you put it in. Mine got damaged during shipping and we didn't realize it was broke until everything was put back together.

2.If your dvd maps disk is copied it can stop working when it gets too hot. And it took a while to figure out that was what was going on but after i got a real copy it works perfectly.

I installed the GPS antenna in the steering console and i still usually get 6-7 satellietes.

My only grips about the unit is that when i play songs from my phatbox it does not have a pause or stop the music feature.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks
that was helpful
i want to do it myself and i wanted to get some input on how other installs went.
if its pretty much plug and play i shouldnt have a problem. the only thing i would need help in is the vag. thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used the tutorials That I found on this site. There a couple of good ones for the A4 that showed where to install the antena in the steering console with good images. Not sure if you purchased your RSN-E yet, but I got mine from a guy haagie who sells them on this forum and he was very helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks
yea i've been looking at some of those tutorials on this site. they are pretty helpful.
i also wanted to know what parts came with your rns-e unit. did you have to get anything extra or did the package come with everything you needed?? thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i also wanted to know what parts came with your rns-e unit. did you have to get anything extra or did the package come with everything you needed??
My unit came with:
1. RNS-E Unit
2. GPS antenna
3. Prewired cables for hook up of phatbox/bose ( I just told him what i was planning on hooking up he made the cable for me)
4. Burned maps DVD
5. PDF of instructions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would you have pictures of the final install. i would like to see the final product. if you dont its no big deal. thanks again for help.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
click the "Album" button near the top of the page. There's tons of pictures in there of completed installations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts