Audi Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Only trouble I had was the people on the service desk didn't understand what component protection was. The guy in the workshop had no problem doing it at all though. I also retrofitted MMI high at the weekend so had the component protection for that removed at the same time. I think I was overcharged at £110 for 1hr but there's not much I could do about that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
How is this Component Protection working? I will be installing MMi High and Climate Control PLUS very soon.. is this protection something I can sort myself with VCDS? does anyone have the right codes for this that wanna share it..

tnx for help

·
Registered
383 Posts
Whenever you put a component in a car that it wasn't originally meant for, the component will go into the so-called component protection state. Not all components will do this (eg. AMI normally doesn't go into CP). The CP is Audi's means of preventing component theft.

If any component in the car is in CP, your car will function and you can drive it but you may lose some "comfort" functionality. For instance, when I changed my CAN gateway the other day (quite an important component for the car's functionality as many things operate through CAN), the car would start normally but I had no sound, no air conditioning, no DIS, the instrument cluster would light up as a X-mas tree, I had no information on the revs the engine was doing, engine temperature or fuel tank state. But the car would drive, lights would work, etc.

What the dealer has to do is connect to Audi's GEKO service in Ingolstadt and authorize the component through there. It takes about 10 minutes for them to do so. Only authorized dealers with online access to Audi's factory can do this. Some dealers may want to ask for proof of purchase on some components (like instrument clusters) but most of the time they don't bother.

If a component is reported stolen then the Audi dealer will get a visit from Interpol investigating where the component comes from so they may be fussy about component protection removal.

AJAX

·
Registered
171 Posts
Whenever you put a component in a car that it wasn't originally meant for, the component will go into the so-called component protection state. Not all components will do this (eg. AMI normally doesn't go into CP). The CP is Audi's means of preventing component theft.

If any component in the car is in CP, your car will function and you can drive it but you may lose some "comfort" functionality. For instance, when I changed my CAN gateway the other day (quite an important component for the car's functionality as many things operate through CAN), the car would start normally but I had no sound, no air conditioning, no DIS, the instrument cluster would light up as a X-mas tree, I had no information on the revs the engine was doing, engine temperature or fuel tank state. But the car would drive, lights would work, etc.

What the dealer has to do is connect to Audi's GEKO service in Ingolstadt and authorize the component through there. It takes about 10 minutes for them to do so. Only authorized dealers with online access to Audi's factory can do this. Some dealers may want to ask for proof of purchase on some components (like instrument clusters) but most of the time they don't bother.

If a component is reported stolen then the Audi dealer will get a visit from Interpol investigating where the component comes from so they may be fussy about component protection removal.

AJAX
hehe! What is it to steal in a Audi A6? There is nothing u can use in another car.. just in an Audi :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
hehe! What is it to steal in a Audi A6? There is nothing u can use in another car.. just in an Audi :)
Yes, and many people make money selling stolen components to other Audi owners ;-)

AJAX

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Yes, and many people make money selling stolen components to other Audi owners ;-)
There are two illegal international trades in cars like Audis - cars stolen to order, and cars broken for parts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Finally putted in the Climate Plus controller now.. and it is as they other writes the front and rear window is just working.. CP ofcourse..
But I wonder if I need to code something in VCDS to get this working to? So I can do this before going to audi dealer to remove CP!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My VCDS wont take the coding when trying to activate the climate comfort plus controller.. is this because of CP or is it because of something else?

·
Banned
48 Posts
Perform basic settings

Hi

has someone the procedure for doing the basic setting for the Klima Plus controller?

Can I get rid of

01087 - Basic Setting Not Performed ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i change old klimatic to klmatronic plus (with displays) . it's any possibility for remove Component protection without visiting Audi dealer... i want do with minimal cost....i have OFF on display's ,where is writed VIN number on mainboard of klimatornic ?..... i swap from my old eeprom 93E86 to new panel ,but its not work .... i try to read this eeporm ,but all is crypted.... any sugestion ? where can be writed informations about vin?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i attach files which i read from 93c86 , but everythink is crypted ...
next file is photo of klimatornik and klimatik and which Chip is similar... somewhere there is writen Vin and pin i think, mayby need only re-solding from my oryginal to new one. what u think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
i attach files which i read from 93c86 , but everythink is crypted ...
next file is photo of klimatornik and klimatik and which Chip is similar... somewhere there is writen Vin and pin i think, mayby need only re-solding from my oryginal to new one. what u think?
How did you fix this?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts