Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my RNS-E (EU) in my 2000 Audi A6. Followed the instructions on the RSXJRs pdf. (BTW very smooth instructions) Everything works fine w/ the unit so far (I have no NAV disk yet), except for the button lights. The four corner lights work fine and the screen is flawless, but the (example CD/TV, INFO, NAME, etc) buttons do not light up. Anyone had this problem or is it maybe my unit? I should add that I skipped 2 things... I didnt VAG it, dont have one, but will call my mechanic or someone on the VAGlist that resides in my area. The other thing is I didnt have the antenna adapter. They mailed me the other one (Symph II). Any ideas, suggestions? Its not a real problem, the buttons are functional and im not a button masher, but for looks I want it. Gonna go back in soon when my antenna adapter comes, so if anyone can help please do.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Does the unit turn on/off with the ignition? If so, the lights in the buttons you mention, should come on when you turn the lights on.

If the unit does not turn on/off with the ignition, you have probably not hooked up the CAN bus (or it is backwards).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The unit does not turn off/on with the ignition nor do the steering wheel buttons work. But I followed the steps exactly. I will try to redo the steps as far as the canbus, maybe I did do something wrong or broke the wires. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you had a Symphony I before, CAN may not be enabled in the cluster. After checking the wiring make sure that you do the proper coding. The antenna adapter you need for an upgrade from a Symphony I is the same as the one for a RNS-D. Contact Euro-Parts.us (if you are in the US). for ther correct adapter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it may be a coding issue. I bought my wires from EuroParts. I ordered the annivesary package. They sent me the wrong antenna adapter, even though I specified in the customer comments what wires and adapters I needed and left a phone number in case they wouldnt be able to do it. They said thats what came with the package. Probably should have done the transaction over the phone, but wanted to use paypal. Got the GPS Antenna, and keys w/ the unit, dont know why I went with the package, should've just bought the harness and antenna. But their keys worked way better than the ones I got w/ the unit. (BIGGER)

·
Registered
112 Posts
CAN Bus

Hi, going to sound a silly question, but what sort of clock do you have?

I am asking because you have a model year 2000 C5.

If it is analogue, you will not have the Infotainment CAN Bus, and will need a CAN emulator to get things to work properly. These take are attached to various wires in the car and detect when you put the lights on, select reverse etc and translate these signals into the digital CAN protocol that the RNS-E needs.

There is another aspect. I am not too sure how serious it is. After powering up the RNS-E talks to the engine control unit and asks for the ECU serial number. If this number matches the ECU serial number held by the RNS-E it knows it is still in the same vehicle, and does not ask the user for the 4 digit RNS-E security PIN number. If the serial number sent by the ECU does not match the one held by the RNS-E - or if it does not get an answer to the ECU enquiry the RNS-E asks the user for the PIN code. This RNS-E/ECU interchange (possibly encrypted?) takes place over the Infotainment and Engine CAN buses, which 'join' at the cluster.

If you do not have an Infotainment CAN bus, as far as I know, the RNS-E cannot establish it is still in the same vehicle after being powered back up. You will always have to re-enter the PIN code after disconnecting the battery. There are reports on this forum of the RNS-E repeatedly asking for the PIN code. I am not sure exactly how it behaves without an Infotainment CAN bus.

Maybe some wiser reader can help?

If you have a digital clock, then your cluster is enabled for the Infotainment CAN Bus - it may not be wired through, though, especially if it was a Symphony 1 radio you replaced. This is not a problem, easily sorted. Did you do any wiring behind the cluster?

The steering wheel buttons are more of a problem. The RNS-E needs signals over the Infotainment CAN Bus for remote control from the wheel. Unfortunatlely the early remote control system did not use CAN Bus and is completedly incompatible with the RNS-E. We are working on this - see section about adding MFSW for the C5/B5/D2 & TT CAN enabled platforms, although your car may be just a a bit more of a challenge if it does not have the Infotainment CAN Bus. Rather early days for that scenario.

It is also possible that Bjarne's CANGATE could be of some help. (Search: CANGATE)

You really do need the disk - you are trying to fault find on what is really only half a system without it, and things also tend to get a lot better after VAG Com has been used to set the RNS-E up properly. You will be pleased to know you do not need CAN Bus for VAG Com to do its thing.

I am sure more knowledgeable people than me will help you a you work your way through this. NAVplus has the best forum community spirit I have ever seen

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I coded my car for the RNS-E and still no button lights, no steering wheel function and it does not turn on/off w/ the ignition. I moved the CLK & DATA wires in the gray instrument cluster connector. I didnt tap the wires to anywhere like I saw in someone elses Install. Could that be it?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Did you also move the wires in the 20-pin radio plug (connector I)? You have to move the wires from pin 9 to 12 and from pin 8 to 7. This can be seen on page 7 of the install guide (pdf page 10 of 61).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Help us help you and post one problem in one place :) As you said elsewhere on this forum that you have the digital clock, you have got a CAN equipped cluster. This is a good thing. Did you connect to pins 5 and 6 on the grey 32 way connector behind the cluster?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sure I did it. I will double check to see if the connections are being made or if the wire has been pushed out the harness. with the radio harness & the grey CanBUS connector. I found a guy w/ a VAGCOM and we followed the instructions and coded it properly and the codes remained, but as far as the turning on/off w/ the ignition, button lights, and MFSW still the same. Damn.. Still havent updated to US SW yet, hopefully the disk will come in soon and I can get to that. MAybe that'll make a difference.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I don't think VAG or the DVD is your problem. Double check your wiring.

Did you also replace your MFSW control unit? If not, your MFSW won't work even if your wiring is correct.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
didnt know I had to. Where is it located and how do I get my hands on one. Check stuff now, will have an answer soon, hopefully.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok I will. Didnt look at any of the chapters beyond the initial install. I wont be adding any options. Will take a look. Got caught in problems with the remote wire on the bose amp. Its pulsing and willnot remote my aftermarket amp, but that on the backburner. headunits more important. Checking the connections now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok I will. Didnt look at any of the chapters beyond the initial install. I wont be adding any options. Will take a look. Got caught in problems with the remote wire on the bose amp. Its pulsing and willnot remote my aftermarket amp, but that on the backburner. headunits more important. Checking the connections now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I dont remember the original placement of the wires so I just have colors and the new locations.

PIN 7 (CAN H) = Grey wire/ Red Stripe
PIN 12 (CAN L) = Red wire/ Brown stripe

Does this sound correct to anyone?

Going in behind the gages, will post the location/colors in a min.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, im pretty sure everthing is hooked up correctly and nothings changed except now my trunk wont pop open with the drivers side button. I think its from connecting the 3 of the 4 outside PNP connections (pg. 8 pdf) that I did not have connected prior to today. I had the reverse wire one connected. Some had no RNS slot on my adapter, so I just ran a wire onto them. Anyway, I guess I will give up and chalk it up to being a "buy cheap on ebay" statistic, and just live with what I got. At least it works at all, if not fully (crossing my fingers on the NAV part, which I yet to test). Special Thanks to bjarne, AudiA4B6US, half_a_florin, and NSX JR for the help.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sounds like your wiring is correct. Are you sure everything is making good contact between the plugs on both ends of your PNP adapter? Also you can check the fault codes in the instruments when you get VAG connected. It will tell you if there is a CANbus error.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll check it for errors, soon. I'll post on this within the next few days, hopefully that'll shine a light on my problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts