Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have an RNS-E installed and have had some luck with the compass mode in the RED DIS I have some questions.

The first time I coded the cluster was with the value of 9 from the factory value of 17. Then I removed the fuse for the cluster to reset it as mentioned in another thread. I left the fuse out of the car for 30 mins or so then I replaced it. Then I turned on the car and selected the compass from the Nav setup page and nothing happened. So after all that I changed the value back to the factory value of 17 and deselected compass from the Nav setup page. Later that day I decided to give it another go. I change the value back to 9 and selected the compass and it worked.I have only seen the compass in the DIS work one time, right after I coded the the cluster of a value of 9. But, after I turned off the car it would not come back.

I have read also that there is another value 21 that has seemed to work for some of you. Should I try to recode the cluster with the value of 21?

Is there any particular steps when starting the car that must be followed to ensure the use of the compass page? Should I deselect the compass from on the NAV setup page before I shut down the car, or just leave it selected?

In my searches I have seen that some of you do NOT accept the nag page until all the lights on the instrument cluster have extinguished. What is the purpose of this? Also, in other post I have seen that others trick the RNS-E by turning it off and on quickly to try to trick it into working. I have tried this and come up with nothing.

I know that my cluster is in constant communication with the RNS-E, because the Radio stations come up on the top of the DIS. Even the clock is slaved off of the clock in the bottom of the tachometer.

I am hoping that someone here has an ideas because this has really disapointed me. Otherwise the RNS-E is an awesome piece of equipment.

Guys thank you for all you help in advance...

-John

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
9 = 1 (Radio) + 8 (Telematics), no way that the navi display will show up this way. If your original value was 17 = 1 (Radio) + 16 (Cluster), the new value should be 21 = 1 (Radio) + 4 (Navi) + 16 (Cluster). or if you had a 1 as orignal value, the new value should be 5 = 1 (Radio) + 4 (Navi). Even an original value of 9 could have bee possible, in this case the nw value should be 13 = 1 (Radio) + 4 (Navi) + 8 (Telematics).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well today I recoded my cluster with a value of 21 and took out the instrument cluster fuse from the fuse box. I kept it out for a very short time approx 2 mins, replaced the fuse and then let the car sit for about 3 hours. I went back to the car after that time and turned on the car and nothing happened. I turned the car off and back on let all of the lights on the cluster extinguish and then accepted the NAG screen and it worked perfect. It has worked perfect all day on multiple occasions. I also figured out that you can switch between screens in the DIS with the button on the bottom of the windshield wiper stalk. I do have to say that there is one weird thing that will disrupt this, if you open the door it will terminate the compass setting in the DIS. There is an easy fix all you have to do is turn the unit off and then on quickly, and then accept the NAG screen and it should reappear. I hope that this helps someone.

-John

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
What you have seen is what we have come to expect as normal behaviour with the red DIS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts