Audi Forum banner

Red BIS-FIS-DIS

18K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  craigyb 
#1 ·
One month ago I find this magnificent website, and start to read all the stuff about RNS-E.

So this is my story:
In January 2005 I bought a A4-B7, with a Concert II radio, non bose.
In February 2005, I make a conversion from one din to double din, by my self
(€50, double din frame from –E-bay)
And put the climate control in the lower position (a lot of work when you to that for the first time).
Buy a RNS-E for €1399,= with 1 year guarantee, in Holland, and they make the work of cables.
After 3 weeks the LCD won’t open any more, I get a brand new RNS-E unit , because of the guarantee. (HW= H44 + SW = 0080)

Second question:
My car has a red BIS (Dutch) - FIS (German) - DIS (USA/UK)
The company where I buy the RNS-E unit told my, it will not work.
I read on the forum, it is possible to get the red BIS to work, but not 100%

Are there members with a 100% working RED BIS in the A4-B7 ?

Peet

See less See more
#28 ·
PetrolDave said:
Bjarne, Dirk & zx81-sp - that's for clarifying that. When all you read is the postings here it is sometimes easy to get an incorrect impression.
For me all is ok, sometimes my answers are too much short because this is not my language and it's not easy for me to explain with details some things, that's all.

Regards

#29 ·
shawnie53 said:
well the wierd thing is that its not enough that the navi be on... you need to have route guidance active... for example... i turn on my car and the dis is normal (non navi) if route guidance is active or inactive.... at this point, if i turn off and back on the rns, and route guidance is not active, nothing changes in the dis. it is only when i activate route guidance, turn off and back on the rns, that the dis changes to navi mode. if, at this point, i turn off route guidance, the dis-navi will still be active, even if i turn off and back on the rns.... kind of odd.

also, i do not think that it is a problem with the cluster sending the message, because a member had the same car using a REV-C RNS-E unit with the problem, but now upgraded to a REV-K RNS-E unit and does not have this problem....
I've used four RNS-E, without letter, C, K and N, all works in same way, also one RNS-E that works fine with color DIS does not works with red DIS, so it's pretty clear that the bug is in the cluster, not RNS-E.

I'm allways talking about the B6 cluster, because some B5 clusters with red DIS works ok.

Regards

#30 ·
shawnie53 said:
anyways... what would be involved in fixing this... having a module connected at all times? or a simple vag fix?
We know that's it's a bug in the red DIS on the B6/B7 A4 - no other models are affected.

But it does appear that newer versions of the RNS-E may have implemented a "work around" because some cars which have the red DIS bug with a C version RNS-E do not have the red DIS bug with a K version RNS-E.

#31 ·
zx81-sp said:
I've used four RNS-E, without letter, C, K and N, all works in same way, also one RNS-E that works fine with color DIS does not works with red DIS, so it's pretty clear that the bug is in the cluster, not RNS-E.

I'm allways talking about the B6 cluster, because some B5 clusters with red DIS works ok.
Well my experience is different and suggests that it is not a 'bug in the cluster'.

K unit = no issues with red DIS. C unit = have to turn off and back on. Both in the same car, no other differences (both units running SW500)..

#32 ·
Alister said:
Well my experience is different and suggests that it is not a 'bug in the cluster'.

K unit = no issues with red DIS. C unit = have to turn off and back on. Both in the same car, no other differences (both units running SW500)..
Alister - I beg to disagree.

Until the K units became available this happened with ALL earlier units in B6/B7 A4's with red DIS but not at all in B6/B7 A4's with colour DIS. Your own example shows the difference between a C and K unit!

So the problem clearly lies in the red DIS, since ALL units work perfectly with the colour DIS.

It just happens that Audi HAVE addressed the problem in newer units by implementing some kind of work around.

#35 ·
something wierd happened today. i started the car, turned on am radio, opened the hood, opened the drivers door, closed the hood, closed the door, went into engineering mode, went into each setting in order from top to bottom, when in speed sensor screen, went into reverse for a sec (1mph), back into drive, and left engineering mode, then did an auto scan on all am stations, turned off the rns, and when it was back on, even though route guidance was not active, the dis showed the navi screen (with the compass). the funny thing is that now, even after turning off the car and having the rns go into deep sleep, i only need to turn off and on the rns to get the dis to work and no longer need to turn on route guidance before.... maybe no need to do all the steps listed above, but thats what i did!!! :D

#36 ·
I'm sure you have the compass enabled which will enable the navi mode on the DIS more reliably but requires to switch to the DIS1 and DIS2 level in case you want to see any of theother data.

#41 ·
Just the standard coding on the RNS-E unit itself, ie 301713 in my case for an A4 with the OEM bluetooth and CD changer but no Bose, MFSW, TV etc.

#44 ·
Hi,

In my Audi TT mk1 with RNSE I have the same problem with the DIS. If I launch the navigation everything is OK but so for example I support on the reset button to change the mode to see the gas consumption for example, the screen remain black later for the navigation.
If I cancel the guide and I re lauch it the FIS instruction become for the navigation.

Moreover, the instrument cluster don't sent the clock to the RNSE.

#45 ·
jetrider said:
In my Audi TT mk1 with RNS-E I have the same problem with the DIS. If I launch the navigation everything is OK but so for example I support on the reset button to change the mode to see the gas consumption for example, the screen remain black later for the navigation.
If I cancel the guide and I re lauch it the FIS instruction become for the navigation.
Classic "red DIS bug" behaviour ...

jetrider said:
Moreover, the instrument cluster don't sent the clock to the RNSE.
How have you coded the RNS-E in your Mk1 TT? Specifically what model have you coded it for (A6, A4, A3, ...).

#47 ·
The TT Mk1 is the same platform as the 8L A3 - and I remember (but can't find at the moment) that some installations of the RNS-E into the 8L A3 have been done.

Can anyone remember (or post a link) whether they had fully working instrument cluster clock to RNS-E clock synchronisation?

Is it another example of the "B5 clock bug"?

#48 ·
Yes another member Cyril00 is a friend and have the same installation into the 8L S3 and all is ok. He has just the problem like the A6 for the clock with a bug but he has a can gate now.

My question. If just 1 one wire of can is not connected correctly to the instrument cluster, can I have the infos in the dis but my clock problem?

edit : more informations about my problem
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9019

Thanks for the help (and sorry for my english) :D

#49 ·
jetrider said:
Yes another member Cyril00 is a friend and have the same installation into the 8L S3 and all is ok. He has just the problem like the A6 for the clock with a bug but he has a can gate now.

My question. If just 1 one wire of can is not connected correctly to the instrument cluster, can I have the infos in the dis but my clock problem?

edit : more informations about my problem
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9019

Thanks for the help (and sorry for my english) :D
So it sounds like you also need a CANgate.

If only 1 wire of the CANbus is connected all the CAN functions will work(info in DIS, power on/off with key, clock, etc.), but there will be fault codes logged.

#51 ·
Very late to the party, but for anyone reading I developed a fix... Video.
This is for the TT MK1 (8N) which also suffers the red DIS bug (note RNS-E was not a factory option on MK1 TT either).

This fix is in the form of a patched RNS-E firmware, and rectifies the following:
a) Bug where the RNS-E does not reacquire the DIS when cycling via the stalk button.
This fix removes the need to reboot the RNS-E, or stop/start guidance, in order to get directions on the DIS.
b) Buffer overrun bug where the RNS-E sends too much data over CAN for the older clusters receive buffer.
This fixes the corruption and missing elements on many of the DIS direction screens, as shown in video.
Question: Do you see this problem on the A4 also?
c) Moves the bottom line of text (for street names, etc.) up by 1 pixel so the text doesn't collide with the lower solid line.
Note: This fix not shown in video, but you can see the issue.

Currently tested on European MK2 RNS-E (193 PU) firmware 220. Probably equally applicable to EU MK1 (192) and US firmwares. Just haven't had any requests for fixes for those units.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.