Audi Forum banner

Red BIS-FIS-DIS

18K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  craigyb 
#1 ·
One month ago I find this magnificent website, and start to read all the stuff about RNS-E.

So this is my story:
In January 2005 I bought a A4-B7, with a Concert II radio, non bose.
In February 2005, I make a conversion from one din to double din, by my self
(€50, double din frame from –E-bay)
And put the climate control in the lower position (a lot of work when you to that for the first time).
Buy a RNS-E for €1399,= with 1 year guarantee, in Holland, and they make the work of cables.
After 3 weeks the LCD won’t open any more, I get a brand new RNS-E unit , because of the guarantee. (HW= H44 + SW = 0080)

Second question:
My car has a red BIS (Dutch) - FIS (German) - DIS (USA/UK)
The company where I buy the RNS-E unit told my, it will not work.
I read on the forum, it is possible to get the red BIS to work, but not 100%

Are there members with a 100% working RED BIS in the A4-B7 ?

Peet

See less See more
#52 ·
Well done on your had work, especially modifying code.

I wonder if your work would help with the 2001-2003 A8/S8 that could never display on the cluster at all. The A8/S8 came with a colour DIS by default but the RNS-E navigation never displayed on it.

#53 ·
Hi craigyb,

Very difficult for me to do anything with that, as I neither have any experience with the colour DIS (on any model) or access to any system to test/debug against. Sorry... I can say that the firmware has different code for the colour vs monochrome DIS.

What vehicle do you have the RNS-E coded for in the A8? Because (like the TT 8N) the RNS-E was never standard OEM fit in the A8, was it? Please correct me if I am wrong.

So I wonder how does the RNS-E decide what DIS protocol to use (colour vs monochrome)? Is it via some initialization data sent by the cluster, or by coding alone? I'm going to assume via initialisation data, as for a A6 retrofit with mono-DIS it works regardless of fact A6 should have colour DIS if factory fitted with RNS-E.
And is the colour DIS protocol of the A8 one that the RNS-E supports in some in a factory fit form (i.e. same as colour A6), or some completely different beast?

The only way to possibly make progress on this is to capture some infortainment CAN traces from the vehicle with a CAN logging tool, and then compare with what you expect to see vs a car with working colour DIS.

#54 ·
Hi, the A8 was never made with RNS-E you are correct a productions stopped in 2002 and the RNS-E came out in 2004. When we put the RNS-E into the A8 we code it for A6 so it picks up the speed pulse from the gala wire.

The A6 4B upto 2005 again never came with a colour DIS, although the RNS-E was available in later models from 2004 onwards and lots of late runout models were fitted with RNS-E as stand like the A6 allroad limited edition and the RS6 plus, neither of these cars had a colour DIS. Well that was the situation in the UK and I'm not aware of anyone with a colour DIS in an A6 4B chassis.

The A4 B6/B7 was the only car that was available to order with the RNS-E and colour DIS, the latter R8/A3/TT had a very fancy colour looking DIS, but again I think it was only white and red.

#55 ·
Useful info. Thanks. A8 install very much like the install for the MK1 TT 8N then, except for DIS type.

The A4 B6/B7 was the only car that was available to order with the RNS-E and colour DIS
Then I wonder if coding for A4 would get your colour DIS to work? I realise of course that would then be next to useless, as the RNS-E would no longer be looking for speed pulse via B3 V-Signal pin. But it might answer the question as to how RNS-E decides on use of colour vs monochrome DIS protocols...
Of course I am assuming here you have performed whatever adaptation is required on the cluster to tell it you have navigation?

The latter R8/A3/TT had a very fancy colour looking DIS, but again I think it was only white and red.
A3 I don't know about, but MK1 R8 and MK2 TT both had only monochrome DIS in either red, or on some models (e.g. 2010 TTS) white. So never red and white simultaneously - although I have seen some Audi vehicles like that (so maybe A3?). Backlighting with various LEDs on the monochrome DIS allow the illusion of multicolour sections (e.g. yellow for warnings), but never 2 colours in same section simultaneously.
The protocol for communicating with any monochrome DIS is the same, even though some of those displays employed internal pixel doubling for a perceived increase in resolution (128x176 pixels vs 64x88 pixels).

Do you have any ability to do an Infortainment CAN trace so we can see what the RNS-E is sending to the cluster? CAN ID 0x6C0 is the destination for the monochrome DIS packets coming from the RNS-E to cluster, with acknowledgements from the cluster on 0x6C1. This would seem to be the only hope of making any progress on this.

#56 ·
Of course we tried A4 coding in an A8 and it did not help. There must be something particular about the can gateway used in the A8 to convert the RNS-D with Bosch CAN to display on the colour DIS of the A8.

I'm well out of the game now and don't do any work on the Audis unless it's my own S7 or A2. So I'm not in a position to do any diagnostics or can bus monitoring. Having said that I have fitted a 3rd party colour DIS to my A2 and it has the ability to monitor can messages and I have a MK2 RNS-E installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.