Audi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
As Bjarne say, I think that the CAN sequeces are not very useful for the main people, and really nobody asks for that kind of information. Anyway, I have only color DIS, but this is how the color cluster works:

When you start the DIS (and RNS-E), it sends a CAN command (I don't have the logs here but I have no problem to publish it from home), if RNS-E answers, then the DIS start to work in "navi" mode, so you have partial 1, partial 2, navi and off. If RNS-E does not send answer (or cluster does not ask), the DIS start to works in "normal" mode, with partial 1, partial 2 and off.

There is another way to activate the "navi" mode, when RNS-E goes ON, it sends a command to the cluster so it goes into navi mode directly (I think that this is how you are fixing now this bug).

And there is the third way to activate, if you change in navi-setup and selects "show compass", then the DIS shows directly the navi mode (also a CAN sequence).

I suppose that the red-DIS bug is just that it does not ask if RNS-E is present (because Audi does not use this kind of DIS with the navi), for this reason when you restart the navi, it sends automatically the CAN sequence described above and it works.

So, if I'm right, the problem could be solved just sending the "query" CAN to the navi, this will answer "I'm present", and DIS will works right. If this doesn't works, we can anyway send the CAN commands that RNS-E use after a restart, so we have same effect that now, but automatic.

I'm sure that Bjarne can do that, he just need people interested.

Regards

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I concur with what zx81 said. It easy to test if you turn the cluster on without the RNS-E being present on the CAN and then connect the RNS-E, you won't see the navi data until you turn the RNS-E off and back on. I have neither the time right now nor a second CANgate to play with nor do I think that there is enough people being interested in this enough so that they would buy a CANGate that includes a fix for this.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Good analysis, thanks. This is pretty much the same way the red DIS works in a C5.

But as you can understand, there is not much I can do with this information without somebody with the problem to work with. :(

·
Registered
517 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
nor do I think that there is enough people being interested in this enough so that they would buy a CANGate that includes a fix for this.
You are right, I have NEVER had anybody with the problem show any interest in CANGate to fix it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
well the wierd thing is that its not enough that the navi be on... you need to have route guidance active... for example... i turn on my car and the dis is normal (non navi) if route guidance is active or inactive.... at this point, if i turn off and back on the rns, and route guidance is not active, nothing changes in the dis. it is only when i activate route guidance, turn off and back on the rns, that the dis changes to navi mode. if, at this point, i turn off route guidance, the dis-navi will still be active, even if i turn off and back on the rns.... kind of odd.

also, i do not think that it is a problem with the cluster sending the message, because a member had the same car using a REV-C RNS-E unit with the problem, but now upgraded to a REV-K RNS-E unit and does not have this problem....

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Bjarne, Dirk & zx81-sp - that's for clarifying that. When all you read is the postings here it is sometimes easy to get an incorrect impression.

·
Registered
95 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Bjarne, Dirk & zx81-sp - that's for clarifying that. When all you read is the postings here it is sometimes easy to get an incorrect impression.
For me all is ok, sometimes my answers are too much short because this is not my language and it's not easy for me to explain with details some things, that's all.

Regards

·
Registered
95 Posts
shawnie53 said:
well the wierd thing is that its not enough that the navi be on... you need to have route guidance active... for example... i turn on my car and the dis is normal (non navi) if route guidance is active or inactive.... at this point, if i turn off and back on the rns, and route guidance is not active, nothing changes in the dis. it is only when i activate route guidance, turn off and back on the rns, that the dis changes to navi mode. if, at this point, i turn off route guidance, the dis-navi will still be active, even if i turn off and back on the rns.... kind of odd.

also, i do not think that it is a problem with the cluster sending the message, because a member had the same car using a REV-C RNS-E unit with the problem, but now upgraded to a REV-K RNS-E unit and does not have this problem....
I've used four RNS-E, without letter, C, K and N, all works in same way, also one RNS-E that works fine with color DIS does not works with red DIS, so it's pretty clear that the bug is in the cluster, not RNS-E.

I'm allways talking about the B6 cluster, because some B5 clusters with red DIS works ok.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
shawnie53 said:
anyways... what would be involved in fixing this... having a module connected at all times? or a simple vag fix?
We know that's it's a bug in the red DIS on the B6/B7 A4 - no other models are affected.

But it does appear that newer versions of the RNS-E may have implemented a "work around" because some cars which have the red DIS bug with a C version RNS-E do not have the red DIS bug with a K version RNS-E.

·
Registered
530 Posts
zx81-sp said:
I've used four RNS-E, without letter, C, K and N, all works in same way, also one RNS-E that works fine with color DIS does not works with red DIS, so it's pretty clear that the bug is in the cluster, not RNS-E.

I'm allways talking about the B6 cluster, because some B5 clusters with red DIS works ok.
Well my experience is different and suggests that it is not a 'bug in the cluster'.

K unit = no issues with red DIS. C unit = have to turn off and back on. Both in the same car, no other differences (both units running SW500)..

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Alister said:
Well my experience is different and suggests that it is not a 'bug in the cluster'.

K unit = no issues with red DIS. C unit = have to turn off and back on. Both in the same car, no other differences (both units running SW500)..
Alister - I beg to disagree.

Until the K units became available this happened with ALL earlier units in B6/B7 A4's with red DIS but not at all in B6/B7 A4's with colour DIS. Your own example shows the difference between a C and K unit!

So the problem clearly lies in the red DIS, since ALL units work perfectly with the colour DIS.

It just happens that Audi HAVE addressed the problem in newer units by implementing some kind of work around.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Call it what you will but I changed the RNS-E unit, not the DIS, and this fixed the issue.

·
Registered
258 Posts
something wierd happened today. i started the car, turned on am radio, opened the hood, opened the drivers door, closed the hood, closed the door, went into engineering mode, went into each setting in order from top to bottom, when in speed sensor screen, went into reverse for a sec (1mph), back into drive, and left engineering mode, then did an auto scan on all am stations, turned off the rns, and when it was back on, even though route guidance was not active, the dis showed the navi screen (with the compass). the funny thing is that now, even after turning off the car and having the rns go into deep sleep, i only need to turn off and on the rns to get the dis to work and no longer need to turn on route guidance before.... maybe no need to do all the steps listed above, but thats what i did!!! :D

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm sure you have the compass enabled which will enable the navi mode on the DIS more reliably but requires to switch to the DIS1 and DIS2 level in case you want to see any of theother data.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have you correctly recoded the instrument cluster AND the RNS-E unit itself Teknic111?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts