Audi Forum banner

Red BIS-FIS-DIS

18K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  craigyb 
#1 ·
One month ago I find this magnificent website, and start to read all the stuff about RNS-E.

So this is my story:
In January 2005 I bought a A4-B7, with a Concert II radio, non bose.
In February 2005, I make a conversion from one din to double din, by my self
(€50, double din frame from –E-bay)
And put the climate control in the lower position (a lot of work when you to that for the first time).
Buy a RNS-E for €1399,= with 1 year guarantee, in Holland, and they make the work of cables.
After 3 weeks the LCD won’t open any more, I get a brand new RNS-E unit , because of the guarantee. (HW= H44 + SW = 0080)

Second question:
My car has a red BIS (Dutch) - FIS (German) - DIS (USA/UK)
The company where I buy the RNS-E unit told my, it will not work.
I read on the forum, it is possible to get the red BIS to work, but not 100%

Are there members with a 100% working RED BIS in the A4-B7 ?

Peet

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not possible to make the red DIS work 100% - there will always be the problem that the navigation instructions will only appear when you turn the RNS-E briefly off and back on with a route active.

This is due to a bug in the red DIS that Audi will not fix - because they never sell a car with the RNS-E and a red DIS! So we have to live with this "feature".

#4 ·
Fido Dido said:
PetrolDave: What you say worries me a bit. I had my RNS-E fitted at the factory and it has come with the red DIS. Is this correct? Am i going to encounter problems later? Thanks.
I don't think you can get the RNS-E with red DIS as factory option. If you get the RNS-E or BNS you always get the color DIS.

#5 ·
Something is wrong then because i have def got the red DIS. Maybe it is a slip-up from Audi. What would you suggest that i do? Should Audi now replace the red DIS for a colour one. What a mission that is going to be. I know i paid a fortune for the sat nav and if it is supposed to have a colour DIS then i want one. How could i find out about this? The Audi page in ZA still only shows the BASE system....

#6 ·
Ok, my comment is based on what Audi sells/sold as option in Germany and the US. In your country there might be other options/packages available, especially for the B7 that may have a new firmware in its instrument cluster that no longe has any issue when connected to the RNS-E. if Audi sells the combination of red DIS with RNS-E in your country there is little to nothing you can do about this but I'm pretty certain that none of the issues we discuss here exists if you get this combination from the factory.

#8 ·
PetrolDave said:
It's not possible to make the red DIS work 100% - there will always be the problem that the navigation instructions will only appear when you turn the RNS-E briefly off and back on with a route active.

This is due to a bug in the red DIS that Audi will not fix - because they never sell a car with the RNS-E and a red DIS! So we have to live with this "feature".
Maybe I am thinking of something else but I don't think that is 100% true. I have never had that problem with my B5 S4. I always get the directions in the DIS without any problems.

#9 ·
bfly said:
Maybe I am thinking of something else but I don't think that is 100% true. I have never had that problem with my B5 S4. I always get the directions in the DIS without any problems.
The issue with the DIS exist only on the A4 B6 (and maybe B7) platform. All A3 and A6 and the A4 B5 do not have this issue.

#11 ·
bfly said:
PetrolDave said:

The original question referred to a B7 A4 - as far as we know (tell us all if this is wrong) the red DIS bug exists on the B6 AND B7 A4 (reports on www.tyresmoke.net from people who have retrofitted the RNS-E are where I have seen it said the problem exists on the B7).

#12 ·
If the problem exists on the B7 as well then I doubt that Audi is factory fitting the RNS-E with red DIS in any country and would suspect that any B6/B7 with red DIS and RNS-E got the RNS-E retrofitted at one time.

You can determine what options are factory fitted by going to a dealer and let them decode the sticker in the service manual. Or use something like http://igorweb.org/equidec/. 7Q2 or 7Q7 is the "navigation system with color screen" which should include the RNS-E.

#13 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
bfly said:
The issue with the DIS exist only on the A4 B6 (and maybe B7) platform. All A3 and A6 and the A4 B5 do not have this issue.
Fair enough. I had heard about this in the past and never made the connection between it and the B6. When people talked about it they always talked about the red DIS. I just assumed they were talking about all cars with the red DIS. (Assumption = mother of all %$@# ups)

Anyway, now I know and knowing is half the battle. ;-)

#14 ·
A4 Red DIS B6 VS B7

Are there more A4 B7 than only ‘’ Fido Dido ‘’ with a 100 % working Red DIS.
Please report.
I want to know, of I will invest in a VAGcom.

Peet

#16 ·
Last week my audi dealer change the value, from 17 to 21

STG 17 (Instrument cluster) -> Adaptation -> Function 10 -> Channel 62
+01 - Radio
+02 - Telefon
+04 - Navigation
+08 - Telematics
+16 - Instrument Cluster
To add navigation, add +4 to the current value.
My car has radio+navigation+Intrument Cluster 1+4+16=21

I can confirm its working now, with the bug.

I have to restart the RNS-E, to show NAV info in the Red DIS
and when i open the door, NAV info Red DIS, disappear.

Peet

#17 ·
I've never seen a RNS-E with a red cluster (except retrofited).

The bug is a very small bug and it can be solved with some CAN commands, probably if there is enough people interested, Bjarne (with the great CanGate) can give you a solution.

Regards

#18 ·
I had the issue with an 8E0 035 192 C unit but don't have it with an 8E0 035 192 K unit.. FWIW both units were running the same SW (0500) and installed in the same B6 A4 with red DIS.

#19 ·
zx81-sp said:
The bug is a very small bug and it can be solved with some CAN commands, probably if there is enough people interested, Bjarne (with the great CanGate) can give you a solution.
zx81-sp - you have posted before saying the same thing.

Since this forum is about sharing information and not about being "clever" please will you share with us all what modifications to CAN commands are necessary to solve the red DIS bug in the A4 B6/B7. Then bjarne can know whether it is worth him putting in the time to solve this problem and make more CANGates for us all.

#20 ·
Dave,

We pretty much know which CAN messages are involved. The problem is to find out exactly how these messages go wrong in the case of red DIS and B6/B7. I would need some nessage traces from a car with the problem. In the past, when this has been discussed, I have a couple of times tried to find somebody to work with, but it seems this does not bother people enough to want to work with me on it, as they would have to install a CANGate to get the proper traces.

I honestly don't think zx81-sp is trying to hide anything. He, Dirk, and I have been sharing CAN stuff in the past, both here and privately, but for the most part it is useless information for the vast majority of members of this forum, and nobody else has ever asked for it.

just my $0.02 worth.
Bjarne

#21 ·
As Bjarne say, I think that the CAN sequeces are not very useful for the main people, and really nobody asks for that kind of information. Anyway, I have only color DIS, but this is how the color cluster works:

When you start the DIS (and RNS-E), it sends a CAN command (I don't have the logs here but I have no problem to publish it from home), if RNS-E answers, then the DIS start to work in "navi" mode, so you have partial 1, partial 2, navi and off. If RNS-E does not send answer (or cluster does not ask), the DIS start to works in "normal" mode, with partial 1, partial 2 and off.

There is another way to activate the "navi" mode, when RNS-E goes ON, it sends a command to the cluster so it goes into navi mode directly (I think that this is how you are fixing now this bug).

And there is the third way to activate, if you change in navi-setup and selects "show compass", then the DIS shows directly the navi mode (also a CAN sequence).

I suppose that the red-DIS bug is just that it does not ask if RNS-E is present (because Audi does not use this kind of DIS with the navi), for this reason when you restart the navi, it sends automatically the CAN sequence described above and it works.

So, if I'm right, the problem could be solved just sending the "query" CAN to the navi, this will answer "I'm present", and DIS will works right. If this doesn't works, we can anyway send the CAN commands that RNS-E use after a restart, so we have same effect that now, but automatic.

I'm sure that Bjarne can do that, he just need people interested.

Regards

#22 ·
I concur with what zx81 said. It easy to test if you turn the cluster on without the RNS-E being present on the CAN and then connect the RNS-E, you won't see the navi data until you turn the RNS-E off and back on. I have neither the time right now nor a second CANgate to play with nor do I think that there is enough people being interested in this enough so that they would buy a CANGate that includes a fix for this.

#25 ·
well the wierd thing is that its not enough that the navi be on... you need to have route guidance active... for example... i turn on my car and the dis is normal (non navi) if route guidance is active or inactive.... at this point, if i turn off and back on the rns, and route guidance is not active, nothing changes in the dis. it is only when i activate route guidance, turn off and back on the rns, that the dis changes to navi mode. if, at this point, i turn off route guidance, the dis-navi will still be active, even if i turn off and back on the rns.... kind of odd.

also, i do not think that it is a problem with the cluster sending the message, because a member had the same car using a REV-C RNS-E unit with the problem, but now upgraded to a REV-K RNS-E unit and does not have this problem....

#26 ·
Bjarne, Dirk & zx81-sp - that's for clarifying that. When all you read is the postings here it is sometimes easy to get an incorrect impression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.