Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to set some source for recording the last traffic info. It works, but it's only recording the traffic info of the radio I'm listening at, and it records this info only when I'm currently listening to that radio station.

So I can listen to the recorded info I was just listening to..

You can imagine: that's not what I want. I want to set some radio station the RNS-E needs recording the traffic info from, and while I'm listening to a CD or I'm watching TV I want to listen to the recorded trafic info when I want to.

Also the timer function for traffic info doesn't work, because it doesn't record when the car stands still. What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
I've setup the traffic info timer to recored that TP announcements for 1 hour before I leave for work and 1 hour before I leave for home - seems to work fine for me. Remember it records only TP announcemenets on the radio station that you last listened to.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is it true that this option is only available in EU? Does it work by the radio station or by the model of RSN?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
It relies on the TP flag being set in the RDS data stream.

So you need to:
- have RNS-E SW that supports the feature (select INFO and see if the top left button is labelled TP memo).
- setup the TP timers in the RNS-E (INFO, SETUP, TP memo timer - you set a start time for one or both timers and it will record all traffic annoucements up to 2 hours after that - but only for 72 hours after you remove the ignition key, to save draining the battery).
- the radio station that you are listening, or last listened, to must be broadcasting RDS and make use of the TP flag.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So if I have a US model with the latest software and a Canadian Radio station has an RDS feed, I should be good to go? Interesting ...

How large are the harddrives on these units?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is no TMC in North America that can be used with the RNS-E. And the RNS-E does not have a hard disk to store anything.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
There is no TMC in North America that can be used with the RNS-E. And the RNS-E does not have a hard disk to store anything.
TP memo uses the normal TP service on RDS, not TMC.

If it used TMC then it wouldn't work in the UK either!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Ok, there is no TP that the RNS-E could use in North America either. Think about 40 years back and you know what kind of traffic guidance is available here. At least for VAG cars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
PetrolDave said:

Anyone have a thesorus for dummies? There are so many abreviated words! LOL :shock:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Ponch said:
PetrolDave said:

Anyone have a thesorus for dummies? There are so many abreviated words! LOL :shock:
Sorry!

TP = Traffic Programme

RDS = Radio Data System

TMC = Traffic Message Channel

Us techies tend to use lots of TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms), which can get a bit confusing for others.

·
Registered
189 Posts
LOL, thanks. I'm in the computer business so I understand the use, just need to know where they come from in order to follow the conversation.

Thanks sir!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.