Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does RNSE require the PIN input anytime the cluster is removed??

I remove the cluster often for checking the operation of my in-tach boost gauge and the RNSE just went into PIN Entry mode.

Will I be faced with this every/any time I remove the cluster??

Also, since I have Lee's instructions for resetting RNS-E, and it requires a reboot of the unit, am I going to loose all my input data?? IE Names, Routes etc...??

·
Registered
258 Posts
mine doesnt... removed the rns, removed the battery.... and nothing... mind you i only removed it for a few hours... if you leave it for longer then maybe?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You don't say what car you have but in any B6, 8P or 2002+ C5 you should not need to enter the code after disconnecitng the cluster.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I have a bench test setup with a B6 cluster and a RNS-e and I never need to enter the code as long a the cluster stays connected. Even days or weeks after cutting power.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
You don't say what car you have but in any B6, 8P or 2002+ C5 you should not need to enter the code after disconnecitng the cluster.
Yep, sorry. B5 S4.

It certainly asked for the PIN...don't know why, but it did.

I have been lucky though, it didn't require the reboot...I just let it sit for a while.

So, if I were to reboot, is that like a hard reset where I would loose all the settings and data I stored??

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You should not lose any settings by just doing a reset.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes in the B5 and early C5 cars you will have to enter the PIN much more frequently then later cars. Let's just say that our clusters don't get along well with the RNS-E and they will take any chance they can get to "disconnect" from each other.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NSX JR said:
Yes in the B5 and early C5 cars you will have to enter the PIN much more frequently then later cars. Let's just say that our clusters don't get along well with the RNS-E and they will take any chance they can get to "disconnect" from each other.
Thank you!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts