Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To add a rear view camera for parkign do I need both the video in motion adaptor and the multimedia from dietz?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
ejc2008 said:
To add a rear view camera for parkign do I need both the video in motion adaptor and the multimedia from dietz?
Correct, unless you never drive faster than 5 km/h (up to that speed video in motion is possible without the 1280).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Dirk, just had a little thought for the cangate project. As it can inject a message onto the canbus, maybe it could send a message to the RNS-E to select AV1 when reverse is selected and switch to the rear view camera? of course it would have to drop back again when forwards is the direction.

This would work for the Dietz 1417 users and the TV tuner users with a camera attached to AV1.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I haven't found yet a CAN message that would switch the RNS-E into TV mode. there is a VAG-COM channel you can set to switch to TV but it remains in TV only as long as VAG-COM is connected to the RNS-E. If we would log the traffic in a Lambo with rear view camera, we might be able to find a message that does this but then the question remains if this message also works in "Audi" mode. As usual, lots of interesting things to do, not enough time available.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Ah my mistake, I thought you had for your car PC project.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What about tapping into whatever signal tells the passenger-side mirror to tilt down when the car is put in reverse?

I have absolutely no idea how this works so this may be a ridiculous suggestion

:wink:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I have this project on the list.
I have pretty much most of the components but I didn't locate 12V reverse signal to activate my media box.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
buddy of mine got it to work (just the camera and all) not the reverse auto camera stuff

but since the 3.0 has the auto thing where once its reverse it auto tilts ... why can't you not do the same

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
ejc2008 said:
buddy of mine got it to work (just the camera and all) not the reverse auto camera stuff

but since the 3.0 has the auto thing where once its reverse it auto tilts ... why can't you not do the same
The reverse signal is a CAN message but there has to be another CAN message that changes the RNS-E to TV mode. That message has not been posted anywhere so far.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Reverse signal is also available as a hardwire signal to, for all those A4 B6's with the RNS-D before the RNS-E came along. It is available from the cluster.

As Dirk says the hardest part is getting the can signals to switch to AV1/2

The Dietz 1417 always appears as AV1 when you select TV on the RNS-E, how does that fool the RNS-E that only AV1 is connected and not TV/AV1/AV2 like people with TV tuners.

Craig

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The message sent by the Dietz 1417 is 81 12 30 3A 02 41 56 20 on ID 602. The 02 41 56 20 translates to _AV_ (_ = space), the first 4 bytes translate to CH, the second line is always TV/VIDEO when this message is used.

Changing the 4th byte also changes the position of the text sent with byte 5 to 8 but it is quite time consuming to try all possible combinations. It may very well be that one specific message on ID 602 enables a rear view camera and also shows this in the DIS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
... It may very well be that one specific message on ID 602 enables a rear view camera and also shows this in the DIS.
It maybe helpful to have a close look at ID 0x543 ... :-#

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
543 doesn't exist in my B6, maybe you can share a couple more details? Otherwise, trying 8 byte of possible values might take a while. :?

·
Registered
175 Posts
could you please share this info via pm with me as well...I could take a look at it and maybe get some more specific data sheets from some technicians I grew up with if I knew what to have them dig for. should be possible once we know the message to have bjarnes cangate kick out the command when +12 is fed from the reverse wire.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, sending a message like 41 00 64 64 64 every 1000ms on ID 543 is supposed to do the trick but that didn't do anything when I tried it (running US 0150 and EU 0550 coded 01xxxxx, 02xxxxx or 03xxxxx. It would be intersting to get a full scan (both VAg-COM as well as CAN from a Lamborghini, which is the only RNS-E equipped car with rearview camera. Having a full CAN scan from such a car should allow figuring out how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I still think there is an RNS-E adaptation channel that controls this. The Lamborghini camera ECU does NOT have a CAN connection and therefore the entire camera and A/V input are not part of the CAN network. So, either there is an adaptation setting in the RNS-E that tells it to switch to AV1 when the car is in reverse, or there is a magic CAN message produced by the Lambo instrument cluster when the car is in reverse that tells the RNS-E to do this. I think it would make more sense for it to be a simple adaptation setting within the RNS-E itself.

It is also possible that the switch to AV1 is not triggered by the reverse status, but instead it could be triggered simply by activity on the A/V input. This further supports my suspicion of an adaptation channel instead of a CAN message. The reason this is possible is that the Lambo rear cam is only broadcasting video when the car is in reverse, or for 10 seconds when the rear cam switch is pressed. This means the camera ECU turns on and broadcasts video during these times and this may actually be what signals the RNS-E to switch on the AV1 input.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmm...very interesting things being discussed here...I've been hoping for a solution to this issue for so long, I'll grab my vag-com and go recode for a lambo and start ripping through the adaptation channels :) Is it possible that this channel, if it even exists would be locked unless the RNS-E is coded for a lambo? I have my camera already setup so that it is only powered when the vehicle is in reverse so hopefully I will be able to stumble onto something. Any suggestions while going through this process would be appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!! NSXJR was right there is an adaptation channel for it...just set channel 4 to 1 and it automatically switches when coded for a lambo...going to recode back to a6 and see if it still works now...will report back...

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.