Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question - but if I were to get one of those license plate cameras - do I need to get it reversed? Does the dietz video adapter allow you to reverse the image?

Enquiring minds want to know now that the disclaimer screen will go away

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think it would depend on the camera reversing the image. I have never seen how to reverse the image with the 1417.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a dietz 1491 digital TV uner, it also has AV1 and AV2 inputs.
I use AV1 for a glovebox DVD
I was thinking of AV2 (video only) for a rear view camera.

Would it be better to have the camera high up - looking down, this would give a better distance perspective.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi. I've been wondering about this. I think at fender (bumper) level you would need quite a wide angle lens to get the context of what you were in danger of hitting. The image would possibly be very unrealistic. I suspect you are right and looking down is better - I'll take some photo's and post the results. I'm not at all sure what is best in terms of reversing the image - I suspect our brains would very readily interpret the image on the RNS-E display the same way as it would if looking directly out of the back window - although apparently one of the classic TV studio tricks is to get an unsuspecting interviewee to try combing their hair whilst looking at themselves on a monitor.....

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
I had a rear view camera on an RV I used to own.

It was mounted high up (about 10ft up actually), and gave a really good (almost birds eye) view of whatever you were reversing towards.

Based on that experience I'd say mount the camera as high up as possible - like on the roof spoiler on an Avant (not so easy on a sedan).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.