0 - linear
1 - Audi A4 (> 2004)
2 - Audi A6 (< 2004)
3 - Audi A4 Cabriolet (> 2004)
4 - Audi TT (> 2004)
5 - Audi A3 (8P)
9 - Bose Soundsystem

What does linear do? Just curious.

If anyone is wondering why I'm asking. I have RNS-E in my passat and I have everything working but my rear speakers, my car did not come with Monsoon, and regular passat don't have an amp for the rear like I assume non-bose systems in audi's do.

So my question is, is there a way to turn the rear speakers ouputs on in the A part of the quadlock(I think its A,maybe it is D, either way I'm talking about the part wear the front speakers get there sound from, I know it say NC, but are they really no connected.) also could a just ad a non-bose amp and rear speakers out of an audi.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
purplezr2 said:
So my question is, is there a way to turn the rear speakers ouputs on in the A part of the quadlock(I think its A,maybe it is D, either way I'm talking about the part wear the front speakers get there sound from, I know it say NC, but are they really no connected.) also could a just ad a non-bose amp and rear speakers out of an audi.
They really are not connected, the RNS-E does not have internal amplifiers for the rear speakers, so you have to use an external amplifier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any audi systems that are just amplified in the rear that i could steal the amp and speakers out of. I have the interior out of my car so now would be the time.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
purplezr2 said:
Are there any audi systems that are just amplified in the rear that i could steal the amp and speakers out of. I have the interior out of my car so now would be the time.
Any non-Bose system from A3, A4, C5 A6, ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I just need the rear speaker, and to run the 4 wires from the head unit(DSP on, RL<RR<ground outputs, what else would I need.)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
purplezr2 said:
So, I just need the rear speaker, and to run the 4 wires from the head unit(DSP on, RL<RR<ground outputs, what else would I need.)
NO.

As I said the RNS-E does NOT have built-in amplifers for the rear speakers.

So you need an amplifier as well as the speakers.

The amplifier will also need a separate +12V supply - the amp on signal from the RNS-E cannot provide the power to the amplifier, it's just a low power signal to turn the amplifier on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As I said the RNS-E does NOT have built-in amplifers for the rear speakers.

So you need an amplifier as well as the speakers.

The amplifier will also need a separate +12V supply - the amp on signal from the RNS-E cannot provide the power to the amplifier, it's just a low power signal to turn the amplifier on.
That's rather disappointing ..... just tested my RNS-E before I built it in (need first to have a double din built in, but was curious how the device does work) and was wondering why I had no sound over the rear speakers anymore.
Was actually rather surprised since the menu of the RNS-E does indicate front and rear fading.... on which pins should the cable for the external be be connected ? Description on the RNS-E is rather confusing for me ....

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
nlrela said:
Was actually rather surprised since the menu of the RNS-E does indicate front and rear fading.... on which pins should the cable for the external be be connected ? Description on the RNS-E is rather confusing for me ....

Thanks for your feedback.
The fader menu is there because the RNS-E has four line level outputs (FL, FR, RL & RR) so it must provide both balance and fade controls to move the sounds around to where you want it.

BTW ALL current Audi headunits are the same - no built-in amplifiers for the rear speakers, front only and they are only active in non-Bose mode.

Regarding connections:

Line level signals:
Front Left - C3
Front Right - C9
Rear Left -C5
Rear Right - C11
Signal Ground - C8

Amplifier Enable (DON'T power the amp with this, is it to tell the amp to turn on) - D13

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.