Audi Forum banner

Rare RNS-E Install: Early 05 S4 Cabriolet

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Matt21k 
#1 ·
Could someone please help - I searched the archives for hours but couldn't find what I need for adding RNS-E NAV in an 05 S4 that came with the XM Bose Satellite head unit.

I'm not sure I need XM support yet so I'm looking for the part #'s for head units with AND without XM satellite support, for the 05 CABRIOLET? I know there is an 8H0 035 192 E for the A4 cabriolet, and and 8E0 057 593 E for XM with tire pressure, but didn't see anything about B6 S4 Cabriolets.. Also how does the tire pressure monitoring system affect the part numbers? Whew! Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Welcome onboard and thanks for searching ;-)

The S4 Cabrio is very similar to the A4 Cabrio (at least in regards to the head units used). However, there are still some open questions regarding the North American spec RNS-E for the A4/S4 Cabriolet.

In Europe there are 2 different devices, the 8E0 035 192C and the 8H0 035 192, the first being used in the A4/S4 Sedan/Avant and the later used in the A4/S4 Cabrio. We got confirmed that the current US A4/S4 Sedan/Avant RNS-E is part number 8E0 035 192E but so far nobody has reported the part number for the US spec RNS-E for the A4/S4 Cabrio. Although the 8E0 035 192E should fit in an A4/S4 Cabrio, there might be internal changes due to the different accustics which caused Audi to release two different units. You mentioned the 8H0 035 192E which does AFAIK not exist, further confirmation would need to be required on this part number.

Your best option is to contact your friendly Audi dealer or call Clair Parts and ask for the part number for the 2006 US RNS-E Navigation Plus (and then share that part number here).

Regarding TPMS/RNS-E and part numbers: From what I understood do all three (RNS-E, TPMS and SAT receiver) talk to each other over the CAN-BUS. For some reason does having the TPMS or RNS-E cause the old SAT receiver no longer to work, I would guess something on the CAN-BUS is preventing proper communication. The new SAT receivers do work with any head unit, therefore it is better to always look for the new receiver even if you may not need it. In any case, the head unit is the same and all US spec RNS-E support the 2nd generation SAT receivers.

I hope this helps,
Dirk

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, it feels good to be here!

Ok, I guess I'm a little confused then. All I want is to add DVD Nav capability to my existing XM Satellite. I don't have or need TPMS, and don't want the external CD Changer. I thought I could just swap the head unit and be done. What is this "newer satellite receiver" you are referring to and where is it located? Do I also need to run a new antenna? Finally, if I want to add TV, do I only need the 4DO 919 146 C tv tuner?

Thanks on clarifying the situation with the open questions in this forum on my setup... I will post here when I figure out the partnumber and get it installed.

#4 ·
If you install the DVD Navigation Plus (RNS-E) you will need a new XM receiver (8E0 057 593E). The one you currently have (8E0 057 593A) will not work with the RNS-E, with or without TPMS. The XM receiver is in your trunk, left side, behind the panel. If you are lucky you can find the part number somewhere written on the panel, if not you will need to remove the panel to confirm the part number. If you are lucky again you may already have the new tuner but this is unlikely.

You will need to contact Audi or Clair Parts to confirm the part number for the RNS-E in the A4/S4 Cabrio. If you don't do this you may run into issues not known yet. If you don't care you could simply get the A4/S4 Sedan/Avant unit which is 8E0 035 192E. You will also need to contact Audi or Navteq to get the US Navigation DVD.

You will need to get an adapter kit which converts the Symphony II harness in your car to fit the RNS-E connectors. This adapter is not available from Audi, only from sources in Germany (or sometimes here in the For Sale section). You will also need access to a VAG-COM and the radio removal tools during the install.

Once you got the RNS-E, the new XM tuner, VAG-COM, radio removoval tools and the adapter kit you can install the RNS-E in less than an hour.

Until now it has not been confirmed that the US unit will support any kind of video input, either from the OEM tv tuner or from an aftermarket device like the Dietz adapter. The OEM "C" tuner you refer to is only confirmed to work with the European RNS-E (which itself does not support XM or Sirius).

These are your options.

#5 ·
Wow, thanks! Great summary of what I need for the CAB. I pulled the XM receiver - it was right where you said - and it is the "A" version... bummer! Guess I'll be getting that from Clair parts also.

Only thing that makes me nervous is where the heck can I get the SymphoneII -> RNS-E adapter kit? I was hoping to buy from U.S. location? Anyone wanna sell one? ;-)

Peace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.