Audi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I get the following error codes in my 02 S6 after more than just "Driving Miss Daisy"... AUDI Dealer confirms errors appear under load.
They have excluded Coils, Ignition Wires and Spark Plugs, and currently accusing the wiring harness. I did some research but did not find anybody with similar problem. I pump brand name gas (93) exclusively...
Also, I have reset the error codes several times, and Cyl. 7 + 8 always show up, but also all others after hard acceleration... Any ideas?

Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No: 4D0 907 559 B
Component: 4.2L V8/5V G01 0001

4 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16692 - Cylinder 8: Misfire Detected
P0308 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16691 - Cylinder 7: Misfire Detected
P0307 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

·
Registered
21 Posts
16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Possible Causes

• Air Intake System leaking
  • Fuel Supply faulty
  • Injector(s) faulty
  • Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty
  • Ignition Coil(s) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18 stuck/open
  • Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Misfire Recognition
  • Check Air Intake System
  • Check Fuel Supply
  • Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing
  • Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s)
  • Check Ignition Coil(s)
  • Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18
  • Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Special Notes

• This DTC indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.

All others
16692/P0308/000776 - Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

Possible Causes

• Ignition system
  • Fuel injectors
  • Fuel pressure
  • Running out of fuel
  • EVAP canister purge valve
  • Evaporative emission system
  • Low compression
  • Base engine problems
  • Controle Module damaged
see Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
68 Posts
catalyst or air mass sensor or fuel pump... I think... it is better to let the dealer (not at forum!) to solve this problem...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks to swilky2000 for your detailed response. And ladan for his/her suggestion to let the dealer solve the problem... Unfortunately the dealer is solving it for the past 8 days w/o any success... They claim no or bad support from AUDI USA. Called AUDI USA myself and was promised a return call by Wednesday (48 hours). My previous experience with them was great (01 A6 2.8)

Anyway, dealer (supposedly) has checked:

* Ignition Cable(s)
* Spark Plug(s)
* Ignition Coil(s)
* Compression Test

Initially they suggested defective wiring harness, but now they suspect defective ECU, but do not want to replace since they are not sure...

Somehow I do not have the greatest confidence in this dealer, however, I did receive a loaner car for free (and that is the first time that I have done business with the dealer).
I was just hoping that someone had a similar problem...
Strangely enough, once the Check Engine Light comes on, it starts to flash upon deceleration, and remains solid while cruising or moderate acceleration

Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might do this... Car is still at the AUDI Dealer... they "narrowed" it down to a defective ECU, damaged wiring harness, or damaged camshaft. needless to say, they would like to do further testing, or "diagnostics work" in order to determine the cause; my expense of course...

quite frustrating and I am tending more and more to pick the car up and check at least some of the suggestions myself...

Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - did not realize that it has been more than 2 years! Finally can lay this problem and post to rest... But not after testing two different Audi Dealerships, and 5 different loaner-Audi, including a Q7, A6 and A4.

Well, I did purchased this vehicle used (e-bay) with 50000 miles, and I was aware of the fact that is was a "Lemon Buy-Back", however, it also came with a Warranty Extension to 100000 miles...

As a conclusion, the car remained a total of almost 7 month at the dealership (Audi dealer) during numerous visits (during the last one I received a brand new Audi A4 1.8t as loaner).

During one visit, the Intake Manifold was found faulty and exchanged - bargain price of only $1800 (covered by insurance), needless to say, that did nothing to solve the problem.
Finally, after removing the heads, leaking valve seals were diagnosed, and surprise, surprise, for the bargain of about $8k I received two new Cylinder Heads (Repair cost of about $12000 including new timing belt and water pump).

The car is now definitely fixed and a blast to drive. However, the Random Misfire experience totaled at about $14,000. I am not sure if Audi can be proud of this... "Forsprung durch Technik", at least not for this car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts