Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just completed a temporary install of the DVD navigation in my A6. Just thought I'd share.

My A6 has the MMI High (color screen) and Multifunctional Steering Wheel but not much else when it when it comes to options. I bought the DVD Navigation unit on EPAY. Also bought a GPS antenna with magnetic foot locally. The GPS antenna sticks nicely to the metal mesh on the dashboard:

Then routed the cable to behind the glove box. Noticed that the CD Changer has the exact same connectors as the DVD Navigation unit so I plugged them into the DVD Navigation unit instead of the CD changer:

Connected the GPS antenna, loaded the DVD map and tested. It works great. Even TMC and FIS/DIS works:

Although this install is not as clean as I would like it to be it works fine for some holiday driving. I don't use the CD changer much as it doesn't handle mp3's anyway. If I select CD in the MMI it says CD NOT INSTALLED - fine with me.

Have ordered the proper GPS/GSM shark fin antenna and cables for installation in the trunk so will do that after the holiday. By the way, no recoding at all was necessary. Thinking of ordering one of the Bluetooth phone options and install that while I move the Navigation to the trunk. The phone unit goes under the driver seat right? Not sure which one to go for though. I'm leaning towards the Motorola one with the hand unit.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You going to have some issues with doing this. The point of the MOST ring is that the DVD nav drive goes in a certain place in the chain. The DVD must be in a certain position.

If you do this then your system may go into "Component Protection" as I found out with a phone installed in the wrong position in the loop.

The DVD should go between the sound system and the radio. It is a 5 minute job to install it in the boot and run the GPS antenna up through the rear pillar into the rear windscreen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...

OK, thanks for the tip. I've had it like this for over two week and 3000 km so if it was going to fail I guess it would have done so already? Anyway it's going into the boot as soon as I get the optical cables and the antenna (my A6 is a Avant so need a roof antenna).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The avant can be a bit of a pig to get the rear media tray out, the bolt at the front of the tray is well down the trim and hard to reach.

Make sure you have a fiber cable set with 2 lengths of fiber cable and a joint, as the cables from the radio and amp will not reach down far enough.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a look at the Media Rack the other day and your post confirms what I thought. It seems to be a real pain to remove it. Almost looks like I have to remove part of the boot floor trim. I guess I'll find out...

Anyway, looking at adding a phone as well. Which one would you suggest? The phone prep or the Motorola one with a handset? I do a lot of calls from the car and the handsfree in my previous Audi A8 D2 (think it was a Nokia OEM phone w handsfree) wasn't that good. I ended up using the handset most of the time (not illegal here yet). I'm leaning towards the Motorola one with the hand unit but if the handsfree is just as good as talking on the handset I might as well install the phone prep?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I would deffo go for the BT hands free, not the motorola hand set.

·
Registered
93 Posts
MMI 2007 NAVTEQ /DVD NAVIGATION AUDI Q7

I recently installed DVD navigation system in my Audi Q7. It looks like the DVD drive works, DVD disc goes in and I can eject it but for some reason on the MMI display it says "check DVD navigation" does anyone familiar with this? what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I am brand new to this forum and I am trying to visit some old threads to figure out the easiest way to retrofit NAV into my 2005 A6. I was reading :

http://audiforum.us/mmi/10382-2005-c6-4f-a6-nav-sat-radio-install-usa.html

And thought I might be good to go, but then mike3141 and craigyb pointed out that what I thought was NAV wiring was actually for SAT radio. I am not opposed to putting in the harness if that's what it takes but when I saw this thread I had to ask the question:

If the NAV will work in place of the cd changer, won't it work in place of the SAT radio?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed Navigation and AMI into my 2005 A6 3.2Q that I purchased in December. If you are looking for the cables, purchase a kit for an Avant. It comes with everything you need and instructions. Audi must be trying clear inventory of old stock because you can get the kit (which comes with a Shark Fin antenna - not needed for the sedan) for around $35. Purchase kit 4F0051322A from genuinevwaudiparts.com. I bought two kits one from them and one from OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning but Genuine was cheaper. I wanted one for the navigation and I wanted just the optical cables for the AMI since the AMI kit I bought off eBay didn't have genuine Audi optical cables.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts