Audi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the different pins used in the various plugs and hope that someone who built a bench test environment would be able to answer my questions.

I don't like the idea of soldering repair wires together, therefore I'm looking for the pins to crimp on the wires of a custom harness. I'm trying to order a bunch of pins from Germany and would appreciate if someone could confirm what I listed below.

Also, if anybody has the missing part numbers for the plugs/connectors/housings listed below I would appreciate if you drop me a PM or post a reply. I'm trying to get this list as complete as possible.

Thanks,
Dirk

ISO female used in
- the 8 pin power connector (coming from the car, VAG part # 357-035-447)
- the 8 pin speaker connector (coming from the car, VAG part # 357-035-447A)
- the 10 pin phone/navi connector (coming from the car, VAG part # 357-035-447B)
- the 8 pin Quadlock Connector D (in the RNS-E adapter)
- the 8 pin Quadlock Connector A (in the RNS-E adapter)

ISO male used in
- the 8 pin power connector (in RNS-E adapter)
- the 8 pin speaker connector (in RNS-E adapter)
- the 10 pin phone/navi connector (in RNS-E adapter)

Mini-ISO female (VAG part # N-103-357-06,N-103-358-07) used in
- 20 pin CDC connector (coming from the car, VAG part # 4B0 972 643)
- 8 pin T8r (power connector for SAT receiver, coming from car, VAG part # 3B0 972 724)

Mini-ISO male (VAG part # N-103-360-05) used in
- 20 pin CDC connector (in RNS-E adapter)
(no picture)

MQS female used in
- 12 pin Connector B/C (in RNS-E adapter)
- 8 pin T8s (data connector for SAT receiver, coming from car, VAG part # 3D0 972 708)
- 32 pin connector at instrument cluster
- 32 pin AMP connector (at RNS-E, for audio/video source)
- 20 pin connector on CAN Gateway (in A3 8P and A4 B7)
- 12 pin connector on TMC/CAN gateway (for RNS-D)

??? female used in
- 54 pin connector at TV tuner
- 54 pin connector at phone interface
(no picture)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnaks, moogie, I have added the CAN gateway the MQS list.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The MQS connectors have a slight ridge on one side that prevents them going into the phone and TV tuner 54 pin connectors,

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
craigyb said:
The MQS connectors have a slight ridge on one side that prevents them going into the phone and TV tuner 54 pin connectors,
Thanks, Craig, do you have a source for the right pins which fit? Some without the wires attached?

·
Registered
996 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ted, I understood the moogie is talking about the CAN gateway in the A3 8P and A4 B7 which is required to talk to the phone interface. But since the pins for the TMC/CAN gatway are the same as for the instrument cluster (that's what I got from you link), they should also be the same as the pins use for the new CAN gateway. I'm going to add the TMC/CAN to my list unless someone tells me that's wrong...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The MQS female you have shown is NOT the same as the T32 instrument cluster plugs, or the T8s SAT tuner plug. They are very similar but have two important differences. The MQS plug has a small tab on one edge that makes it too large to fit into T32 or T8s plugs. The MQS also has the locking tab on the "top" of the plug... assuming the top is "UP" in your picture. This part number for repair wire is 000-979-009

The pins for the cluster T32 plugs and T8s SAT tuner plugs do not have the small tab protruding from one edge, and the locking tab is on the side, not the top of the pin. This part number for repair wire is 000-979-018. I assume this can also be used for the 54 pin plugs, but have not verified this.

·
Registered
996 Posts
NSX JR said:
The MQS female you have shown is NOT the same as the T32 instrument cluster plugs, or the T8s SAT tuner plug. They are very similar but have two important differences. The MQS plug has a small tab on one edge that makes it too large to fit into T32 or T8s plugs. The MQS also has the locking tab on the "top" of the plug... assuming the top is "UP" in your picture. This part number for repair wire is 000-979-009

The pins for the cluster T32 plugs and T8s SAT tuner plugs do not have the small tab protruding from one edge, and the locking tab is on the side, not the top of the pin. This part number for repair wire is 000-979-018. I assume this can also be used for the 54 pin plugs, but have not verified this.
Therefore, part#000-979-009 is the female pin used in the RNS-E quadlock connector (specifically for connector B or C for CD changer or amp etc)....but obviously not Connector A or D.

Is this a safe assumption?

Also, how do you remove the female pins from connector B or C? Is a small jewelers screwdriver or exacto knife needed? I have a spare VW/quadlock cable at home (got on ebay for $13) that I will dissect to try and figure this out. I do know that connector B and C require you to pull out the connector and then you slide out the white inner connector (similar to the 32pin connectors behind the instrument cluster etc).

Dirk: You should link this thread into the quicklinks section.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
TeddyBGame said:
Therefore, part#000-979-009 is the female pin used in the RNS-E quadlock connector (specifically for connector B or C for CD changer or amp etc)....but obviously not Connector A or D.

Is this a safe assumption?
Yes, that is correct.

TeddyBGame said:
Also, how do you remove the female pins from connector B or C? Is a small jewelers screwdriver or exacto knife needed? I have a spare VW/quadlock cable at home (got on ebay for $13) that I will dissect to try and figure this out. I do know that connector B and C require you to pull out the connector and then you slide out the white inner connector (similar to the 32pin connectors behind the instrument cluster etc).

Thanks guys!
Yes, in fact all connectors in the RNS-E quad lock can be removed with a small knife or screwdriver because they all only have one locking tab that is easily accessible once the connector housing is disassembled.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Here's some pictures of the smaller pins for further clarification

This is a dynamic parts list. It will automatically update as new parts are added to the list.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fusebox Female pins

I want to connect my BT Tel module to the fuse box (Fuse#8) What pins/repair wire do I need connect to this. The #8 fuse on my car is one of the smaller ones.

The fuse holder part is/but I need the repair wire part #s:
8D1941824 - fuse holder / lhd
8D2941824 - fuse holder / rhd

·
Registered
112 Posts
T5h etc on C5

Hi Lee, You could add T5h housing is 4B0 973 605 - at least on C5. T5h/2 carries a 1 amp fused 'Ignition On' supply to and T5h/3 is the ground return from the internal wheel electronics module.

There are a couple of other connectors on the vehicle side of some C5 slip rings -

a) T2bg brings a 15 amp fused supply in for those who have heated wheels that work. It is part 893 971 632 and the repair wire is 000 979 133. (When the Gulf stream stops, we are going to need them in the UK).

b) If ESP is fitted on the C5, there is a six pole ESP plug. There is no need to change this or its wiring pins. I do not have a record of the C5 part no.

I was wondering if another column should be added to your already very useful table, to indicate which model(s) the housing/pins are used on? You might feel it was getting too unwieldy though, and it is a lot of work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts