Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend install an RNS-E in his 2000 A6 that has a Symphony I, Bose, Armrest phone, Multifunction Streering Wheel, and the old BNS navigation system. I have installed one in my B6 A4 which is far more straight forward. I have a few questions regarding some of the specifics with this setup. I have read these two write-ups linked at nsxjr's site and still don't have it straight in my head:

Audi Symphony I to RNS-E Install Guide
OEM RNS-E for C5 A6/S6/RS6/allroad - Updated 2/2006

Questions
----------------------------
1. Do I need to tap the GALA wire for speed info? One write-up only shows it run when replacing a Symphony II, the other doesn't mention it. If so, what is it's location in this setup?

2. I am very confused about the CAN wires. One write-up explains simply moving 2 pins in the T32c connector, another shows a custom wiring harness going to these pins. To complicated matters, upon removing the instrument cluster to move the T32c pins, I realized that that my friend's T32c connector has far more pins occupied that the images I have seen. Here is a crap photo of his connector:

Presumably some of these these pins are from his old BNS nav? What do I do here? Specifically, which, if any, of these T32c pins can I remove entirely and tape off?

3. I have a similar problem understanding what, if anything, needs to be done to Connector 1. Both write-ups seem to imply that pins may need to be moved around in this connector.

4. What is best way to remove the BNS system? Some suggest unplugging the power connector (which one is that btw). Is this the best way or should I disconnect whatever data wires terminate at the front of the car?

5. Finally, how the hell do you manage to get the RNS-E back into the console? Seriously, I am not ham-handed and it seems almost impossible with all of the harness connectors. Do I need to remove the climate controls and tuck the harness connectors behind? Is it easier if the plug and play harness has longer wires?

thanks in advance,
-Oliver

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
1. You do not need to tap the GALA wire behind the cluster. The GALA wire is in pin 1 of connector III at the radio.

2. The car you are working on already has the CANbus wires in the connector. (You can see this note on page 1 of the install guide: If the CD-based navigation system is installed in the trunk, the CANbus wiring will be present. These wires will need to be removed and taped out of the way during the installation process.) Those run to the nav unit in the trunk but not to the headunit. You need to pull the orange wires out of pins 5 and 6 and tape them off out of the way. The method you choose from this point does not matter, but the main idea is that you must connect the CANbus wires in pins 5 and 6 behind the cluster to the CANbus pins on the RNS-E at pins D9 and D10. My method is to move the pins from numbers 12 and 13 to pins 5 and 6 at the cluster. Then move pins in connector I so that they will match up with the plug and play harness you use to connect the RNS-E. The good thing about my method is that it allows you to retain your multifunction steering wheel controls (by replacing the control unit under the dash...see section 3 of the install guide). If you choose to run new wires as in Ted's install guide, you will absolutely lose your steering wheel controls even if you replace the control unit.

3. I think I just answered this in question 2 above.

4. Unplug all of the connectors at the BNS nav unit and remove from the car. No reason to have it back there anymore. Be sure to remove the CD from the drive beforehand.

5. This is tricky. It is harder than any other car. It is easier with a "longer" PNP harness, but can be done with a short one. If you have a short one that also has the "monoblock" (three connectors molded as one piece) it will pretty much be impossible. The only way to ensure that you get the unit to snap into place is to tuck the connectors down behind the climate control and/or off to the side. You don't have to remove the climate control to do this, and in fact you can't really do that anyway because the climate control won't go back in if the RNS-E is already installed. You can see Nene's install (see quick links) to view some pics of this process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the quick and detailed explanation. I understand now. Can't remember if he has the monoblock harness style or separate connectors right now.

What is easiest way/place to get extra connector pins?

-Oliver

·
Registered
300 Posts
One of my customers who ended up with a monoblock connector instead of the longer wire with individual connectors tried this trick and it worked. With a modeling coping saw he cut the mono block in half. You cut the block such that you now have two individual connectors with the appropriate wiring. Apparantly this allowed enough play to get the unit to seat firmly and flush.

Steve

NSX JR said:
5. This is tricky. It is harder than any other car. It is easier with a "longer" PNP harness, but can be done with a short one. If you have a short one that also has the "monoblock" (three connectors molded as one piece) it will pretty much be impossible. The only way to ensure that you get the unit to snap into place is to tuck the connectors down behind the climate control and/or off to the side. You don't have to remove the climate control to do this, and in fact you can't really do that anyway because the climate control won't go back in if the RNS-E is already installed. You can see Nene's install (see quick links) to view some pics of this process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts