Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 2003 A4 FWD, and my questions is what kind of steering wheels can i get?

i currently have the 4 spoke one that looks like an A6 but not MFSW and no tiptronic buttons

can i upgrade to the sport 3 spoke one with tiptronic buttons or even a b7 mfsw?

how much work and how much am i looking at and what exactly do i need?

btw.. i have a grey interior

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have a black tiptronic steering wheel that will fit a B6/B7. It is in mint condition and the leather is very soft. It doesn't have the paddles but is does have the +/- buttons on either side for use by both of your thumbs.

All you need is the airbag (and the self cancelling ring).

Let me know if you are interested.

-ted
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If your B6 A4 is equipped with cruise control, then you likely have all the steering column electronics you need. You would just need to install the new steering wheel and airbag and maybe upgrade your S/C ring if it is the 6-pin version to the 12-pin version.

You will need access to a VAG tool to recode the electronics to recognize the new steering wheel, no matter which one you decide to install.

If you decide to go with the B7 wheel, you must also upgrade to the B7 version SCSM and S/C ring. You'll have to properly connect the dual stage airbag to your single stage airbag controller though, so you'll have to do some reading in the "multimedia" forum to see how this has been done before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NSX JR said:
If your B6 A4 is equipped with cruise control, then you likely have all the steering column electronics you need. You would just need to install the new steering wheel and airbag and maybe upgrade your S/C ring if it is the 6-pin version to the 12-pin version.

You will need access to a VAG tool to recode the electronics to recognize the new steering wheel, no matter which one you decide to install.

If you decide to go with the B7 wheel, you must also upgrade to the B7 version SCSM and S/C ring. You'll have to properly connect the dual stage airbag to your single stage airbag controller though, so you'll have to do some reading in the "multimedia" forum to see how this has been done before.
k, I'm raising this one up from the dead. Lots of searches etc. but this describes (I think) the closest thing to what I want to do. I have a 2005 B6 (with cruise, no tip buttons) and I have bought and installed a new s-line B6 ultrasport steering wheel with the tip buttons. The new wheel came with the airbag wiring harness. Everything plugs in, reused my original air bag, no warning lights on the dash ... however the tip buttons do not do anything (nor do they light up).

Is it a matter of getting a different S/C Ring and/or do I need to VAG the wheel in order to get it recognized. When using the VAG tool what exactly needs to be changed (I might try this first since it is a cheap option)

Thanks, any and all help appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
more help needed

Well, I can't believe that I am still working on this mod!!! .. however I think I am almost there. So I have updated the S/C ring to the 12 pin version form the existing 6 pin version but of course now my airbag harness does not fit into the S/C ring. Looking through other threads I see most people have updated their airbag wiring harness to 4F0 971 589A ... however this is to support the B7 airbag .. whereas I am still using my B6 airbag (since I am still using a B6 steering wheel). So the question is do I use this airbag wiring harness or is their another 'version' of this harness that fits my application. I am thinking that since B6s came from the factory (USP model) as per my mod. that there should be a factory solution.

Anyone know .. anyone have E*KA that has this diagramed out and could send me some scans?

THanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
MFSW retrofit

I took a closer look at my existing harness and really it would be almost ideal if I could just get the yellow connector portion of the airbag harness that is compatable the S/C ring I installed (4E0-953-541-B). I could then reuse my existing harness by plugging the wires into this new connector (provided I could get the wires out of the existing connector .. hammer method perhaps :).

Anyone know if this is possible ... is there a part number stamped on the airbag harness that people are using (I couldn't find one on the connector that I now have) that I could then try and order ... I hate to have to buy a complete harness just because one plastic piece of the existing harness doesn't fit.

Thanks, any help or advice appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts