Audi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is anyway to have the RNS-E OUTPUT to another display. For example running the Video out to another display that would show exactly what the RNS-E shows. Is this possible?

I have an idea in mind for a little project but wanted to see if this was possible. Or is there anyway as to run a new screen on the RNS-E? Like an MMI screen?

Thanx I know this question is very random and ridiculous but I have something in mind.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is no documented way for running a video output from the RNS-E.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am under the (not particularly reliable!) impression that the screen resolution is VGA.

HOWEVER...

In order to get this into an outside monitor capable of displaying VGA, you'd need separated Red, Green & Blue signals, plus separate horizontal and vertical sync streams, plus ground.

There's no available connection to the outside world which carries these signals, so -at minimum- it would be necessary to FIND tapoff points, solder some 'sniff' lines in there, add five 75Ω video line drivers, then add a connector.

...That's if the signals are there to be had, which is a pretty big if.

I suspect the simple answer is no, but it's almost certainly not easy, that's even if it IS even possible.

Keith

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
In order to get this into an outside monitor capable of displaying VGA, you'd need separated Red, Green & Blue signals, plus separate horizontal and vertical sync streams, plus ground.

There's no available connection to the outside world which carries these signals, so -at minimum- it would be necessary to FIND tapoff points, solder some 'sniff' lines in there, add five 75Ω video line drivers, then add a connector.

...That's if the signals are there to be had, which is a pretty big if.

I suspect the simple answer is no, but it's almost certainly not easy, that's even if it IS even possible.
AFAIK there are no analogue video signals present in the RNS-E, and that the internal LCD screen is connected using digital signals (maybe some form of LVDS).

Several have asked this question over the years, but IIRC none have reported having successfully achieved it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
AFAIK there are no analogue video signals present in the RNS-E, and that the internal LCD screen is connected using digital signals (maybe some form of LVDS).

Several have asked this question over the years, but IIRC none have reported having successfully achieved it.
Ah...then I'll shorten my answer to:

"Probably not... -VERY probably."

:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I need to buy a busted RNS-E and rip it apart.

I might have to end up using a RCA out style reader like the one on the Playstation portable to be able to get TV out.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I might have to end up using a RCA out style reader like the one on the Playstation portable to be able to get TV out.
Doesn't that assume that there are analog video signals present to attach to?

And that's a very big (and very unlikely) assumption ...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't that assume that there are analog video signals present to attach to?

And that's a very big (and very unlikely) assumption ...
The first gen PSP had this big unit that sits above the screen and basically takes a mirror image of it and converts it to use RCA out so you can connect it to a Television.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Indeed... but the PSP always had an analog AV-output available, -I think? -Either composite, lum/chrom, or component, I think.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This all has to do with a carputer system idea.

I think the best route would be to replace the RNS-E with an 8" touch screen connected to a carputer that is connected back to the OEM stereo and what not. Also, replace the LCD in the DIS with a screen of similar size that is full color and capable of producing video. Then to connect that to the carputer to show NAV directions, Audio information and what not. Then the issue becomes the placement of the OEM LCD to still be able to see Trip Computer info such as low coolant, etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts