Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I now have the RNS-E connected to the instrument cluster through the CAN bus, I added new wires between the 2 devices.

Next step is to connect the MFSW module and the BT kit. Do I simply tap
into the existing CAN bus and connect 2 more devices? How many devices
can be on the same CAN bus? does it matter where I tap into it? does
it need to be "star" connected? What is the rate on this? are there any
concerns about signal reflection and/or termination?

F.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
the easiest way will be to tap into your harness, this way your OEM wires will be untouched in case you will ever try to go back to stock (some people do that before they will sell their cars).

TEL +/- is a replacement so you can remove wires from adapter and slide in those from TEL interface cable. K-Line need to be patched to K-Line wire in th e RNS-E harness, same for CAN high / low.

I would recommend to connect 12V+ directly to fuse box - ignition trigerred power source (driver side) for 2 reasons.
1. You don't want to have your conversation switched when you are standing next to the car.
2. You could connect to the harness power wires but I'm not sure if this line can handle 2 devices (never heard about any problems but just wanna be on the safe side)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
PROXUS said:
1. You don't want to have your conversation switched when you are standing next to the car.
The BT module is only "powered on" after the key is turned on... and powers off as soon as the key is removed from the switch. Therefore, you don't have to worry about this item...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can connect as many devices as you want to the CANbus. Just don't connect long runs of CAN wires that don't connect to anything.

One example of this is if you ran spare CAN wires to the trunk for future use. Obviously, it is okay to run the wires, just don't splice them into the active CANbus until you're ready to use them.

Also, Audi is very specific about the type of wire to use for CANbus. I suggest that you keep to this specification to avoid problems. The easiest way to meet this is by using twisted pairs from a CAT-5 network cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts