Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found another problem with my adapter harness, the alarm wire is connected to the telephone mute in the connector D. That has not seemed to cause any trouble so far, but now I am trying to install the BT module, so I need that pin. Easy enough to fix, if I could get the pin out of the quadlock connector. I have been fuzzing with it for the last hour, and just realized, that it must be the pink 'thingy' at the end of the connetor, which locks the pins in place. So how do I take that thing out of there (without breaking anything)?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Bjarne

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, maybe it is not a problem after all. Since my old radio was a Symphony I, it is not the alarm wire, but rather one of the mute connection.

The Symphony I radio shows three different pins labeled mute, mute in connector III, and two in connector IV (telephone mute, and Navi mute). Can I use any of these mutes for the BT mute wire, since the mute is already connected to connector III, I would not have to change anything.

Bjarne

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
To remove the pins in connector D, remove the pink lock first by pulling it out. I usually insert a very small screwdriver to get it out. Then use the usual pin removal tool to get the pins out of the quadlock connector.

For the Mute and NF+/- wires I would probably use pin 1 in Connector IV, although based on what's written at http://www.nav-plus.com/instructions/installb5.html, pin 2 in Connector III is a Telephone Mute as well. Could be that III/2 is the mute in older Bose systems (those that used a seperate phone speaker), and pin IV/1 is the mute in system that use the radio speakers for the telephone sound.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
To remove the pins in connector D, remove the pink lock first by pulling it out. I usually insert a very small screwdriver to get it out. Then use the usual pin removal tool to get the pins out of the quadlock connector.
Do you pull it straight up by prying the top with a small screwdriver? It seems somewhat fragile, so I did not want to use too much force.

Since the mute was already connected to connector III pin 2, I tried it, and it seems to work.

I got my BT installed thanks to a BT module and instructions from Lee, and a trunk adapter cable from Ted, thank to both of you, you both do great work !!

Bjarne

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It should come straight out if you use a small screw driver:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ted, I apologize, I meant to send you an email when I received the BT harness. I got so busy installing it, and doing other stuff, that I simply forgot.

As everything else I have seen from you, it was excellent quality, and works as shipped, thanks!

My confusion was, that the mute wire from the red connector you sent, should go to the quadlock connector mute pin. But my harness already had a wire in that pin. Then I added to the confusion by looking at the wiring list for Symphony II (instead of my Symphony I). I tried to get the pin out of the quadlock to insert the new one, and that was were I had trouble.

However, when I looked at the correct wiring diagram, I found that the existing wire went to a 'general' mute next to the GALA wire in connector III. So I tried to just use that connection, and it mutes fine when the telephone is in use. It seems that the Symphony I has three different mute connections, and maybe they are all connected together in the car ???

So unless this could be the cause of the low level buzzing I get from the microphone, I will leave it alone for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts