Audi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You need a k-wire for the RNS-E but the phone interface should be CAN only. Are you using the orignal VAG-COM cable? If yes, which version of VAG-COM? You may need a HEX-CAN cable and VAG-COM 5.04 or newer to talk to the phone interface.

In STG 77 channel 133 you can enable/disbale BT, value 0 = disbaled, value 1 = enabled.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You cant talk to the phone interface unless your car uses canbus for diags, for example the new A3 8P shape, older cars like my 2004 RS6 are K-line only.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
craigyb said:
You cant talk to the phone interface unless your car uses canbus for diags, for example the new A3 8P shape, older cars like my 2004 RS6 are K-line only.
Does that mean that when retrofitting the phone interface it must be configured first in a B7 or 8P and then installed in a model which doesn't have a CAN gateway? Or would it be possible to take CAN-high/-low/12V+ and GND from the ODB VAG-COM connector and connect it to the CAN-high/-low/12V+/GND on the phone interface to configure it? Or is there a gateway between the k-line in older models and the CAN pins on the new phone interface?

Maybe lanny can explain what the Kufatec harness does (regarding CAN-bus and older models). There must be a way to talk to the phone interface and configure it properly, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Just did that recode from 2 to 7 and reset the unit, Wow thanks for that, now have the dialer screen.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
craigyb said:
Just did that recode from 2 to 7 and reset the unit, Wow thanks for that, now have the dialer screen.
Good to hear but how did you connect to the phone interface?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I own a VAG-COM (504) License with HEX-COM+CAN Interface. My Audi A2 has no CAN at OBD-Socket as far as I know. Am I able to forward the Canbuswires from the Interface to the OBD Socket as AudiA4B6US suggested?
I read in the codingtable, that the phone interface is abele to handle the K-wire.
Hope you can help me.

Thanx

Mütze

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I didn't need to, the interface is set at factory settings and the car I recoded with VAg.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
This is the ODB2 plug:

Pin 5 = GND (KL 31)
Pin 16 = 12V+ (KL 30)
Pin 7 = K-line
Pin 14 = CAN-Low
Pin 6 = CAN-High

Can anybody confirm that the CAN-bus at the phone interface is the same CAN-bus at the OBD2 connector? Or where is the Kufatec harness getting CAN from?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I think that there is a CAN gateway, you cannot driectly connect to the RNS-E from the VAG-COM CAN wires, I have tried unsuccessfully to do this.

Also the kufatec harness gets can frm the same place as the RNS-E, in other words, the infotainment can.

As there are 3 CAN buses in the car, the gateway brings them all together for the DIAG port.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Interesting that my mates Siemens S65 reboots after being paired with the BT kit. I would have thought that Siemens would have been the best phone brand for the Audi.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Audi's Bluetooth comatibility list. The last colmun is the recommended firmware on the phone.

http://www.audi.com/reports/bluetooth_uebersicht.pdf

ja : Phone is supported
(ja)* : Audi does not recommend this phone
(nein)* : BT connection is not stable
nein : phone is not supported

·
Registered
131 Posts
So I won’t be able to code my phone interface. Or I plug it into a new A3/A4 and code it there.

Thanx

Mütze

·
Registered
131 Posts
I I tried to pull the CAN-Bus Infotainment wires until the OBD-Socket. My VAGCOM doesn’t recognise the phoneinterface yet. I am getting disappointed.
I have to find an Audi A3 or A4 with build in phone interface to code it probably.

Mütze

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I've already told you it doesn't work. You need a gateway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just The Facts, Ma'am

Alright, I've read all of the messages in this thread twice now, and I'd like to see if I can boil down what it means to me. Everyone feel free to correct me.

First, here is my situation. I purchased an '01 B5 S4 Avant a week ago. In that week, I have had my car three days and the dealer's service department has had the car four days. If they finally get it worked out, then I will keep the car. Otherwise, I'll be returning it. If I keep the car (90% chance), then I'll be upgrading to RNS-E. I'd also really like to have a tightly integrated Bluetooth solution, also. By tightly integrated, I mean caller ID on the DIS, phonebook dialing, etc.

Here is my current understanding about adding the Audi Bluetooth.
  • The Audi Bluetooth kit can be retrofitted to U.S. Audis that have been retrofitted with RNS-E.
    To do this, you need the Audi Bluetooth module.
    You also need a custom harness that costs $120.
    Some recoding with VAG-COM needs to happen.
After that, I'm a little lost.

It seems like most of the people on this thread have newer cars than the B5. My car has the old DB25 connector in the back for the analog phone.

If/once I upgrade to the RNS-E, if I get the version of the harness for it that allows for a phone, will I still need a special harness, or is the one on the RNS-E plug and play to the Audi Bluetooth module?

I've seen mention of a voice control module. Is this something that I can buy and integrate with all of this?

I'm sorry for being such a newbie. I was planning on buying a Mercedes C32 with the Command system in it, which is easilly integrated with Bluetooth, but my wife and I fell in love with this S4. You guys are giving me hope that buying this car hasn't banished me to non-integrated phone solutions. :D

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
craigyb said:
Did you try to restrofit that gateway or do both your S8 and RS6 have that gateway already or did you simply get it configured properly from the dealer? I'm wondering what will happen when we try to install it in a A4 B6 which doesn't have a gateway either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I look into the wire plan (Stromlaufplan) of my Audi A2. From model 2004 on, it has CAN (Infotainment PIN 2 and Pin 10) at the OBD socket. The CAN comes straight without a gateway.
Do you have a part number of the gateway?

Mütze

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
craigyb said:
Did you try to restrofit that gateway or do both your S8 and RS6 have that gateway already or did you simply get it configured properly from the dealer? I'm wondering what will happen when we try to install it in a A4 B6 which doesn't have a gateway either.
I borrowed an A3 to code my D module, the C module I'm using factory set. No chnages.

41 - 60 of 409 Posts