Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every weekend I drive north or south. In the summer I drive from Boston to Cape Cod 1-1.5 hours (Beach). I usually leave after rush hour to avoid traffic. In the winter I drive from Boston to Killington, VT 3 hours (skiing)

Each of these trips is littered with police traps during the high tourist season. One weekend I counted 11 speed traps between Boston and VT. I have a Valentine 1 but I would prefer an insurance plan since this isnt safety enforcement, but revenue collection fomr the small towns between the city and the beach/mountains.

The speed traps are almost always on the left side of the highway. The police park in the median behind a grove of pine trees. It is impossible to see them and your radar will only detect them when other cars are around.

What I would like to do is similar to what a rally driver does with turns. Map them out in advance. I would record the gps location or mile marker of each speed trap location manually.

In the old days one could have a list of the mileage markers of each trap and make sure they are going the right speed in advance.

With the technology of RNS-E/Nav it would seem to be very easy to set a DING or a Beep 1/4 mile before every trap if there was some way to enter those coordinates.

Anyone ever tried to input someting like this or have experience coding the RNS?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I frequently drive a highway that suddenly goes from a 65 MPH zone to a 55 MPH zone. I entered a top destination where it changes and I enter it as a stopover when I travel that road. This wouldn't work with as many traps as you described, though.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The ability to add user defined POIs (Points Of Interest) like speed traps is a long and on-going issue with the RNS-E.

There is a group working (part time) on understanding the RNS-E software. Until they come up with some results, issues like this are going to have to remain on our (very long) wish list.

Try looking at this topic Nav Hacks.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
I have a GPS speed camera location device too - a Cyclops (UK specific).

It really bugs me that I've got this great GPS and map based device integrated into my car (an RNS-E) and I have to have a "box" stuck on my dash to tell me where speed cameras are (or may be) - especially since the GPS receiver in the Cyclops is nowhere near as sensitive as the GPS receiver in the RNS-E so it takes longer to geta fix and drops out occasionally.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
In The Netherlands you can call the national radio stations when you see a police trap. They put it on their RDS, but they also give the exact location a TMC flag. So when it's on your route, you will be warned (twice) just before that point: [siteimg:9a35ddf0b5]665[/siteimg:9a35ddf0b5]

saves my every day a lot of money :lol:

just wait for the day TMC is working on your RNS-E in the US..

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Haaggie said:
In The Netherlands you can call the national radio stations when you see a police trap. They put it on their RDS, but they also give the exact location a TMC flag.

just wait for the day TMC is working on your RNS-E in the US..
Assuming the authorities want to tell people where the cameras are and improve road safety... The Netherlands seems to be the exception.

In the UK cameras are used almost exclusively for revenue generation, so information about their locations is, with a few exceptions, not made officially available.

I suspect it may be similar in the US because I read yesterday of a policeman in Florida dressing in drag to prevent drivers identifying him - he then radio'd ahead to his colleagues. The team issued over $10,000 worth of tickets in just 90 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
The TMC-feature is not supported by the government, but it's the 'new way' of radar detection since the use of the radar detectors (Stingers etc) is not allowed anymore. In Holland you can buy a lot of 'detectors' nowadays that aren't illegal, because based on the TMC-flags.

Anyway, In Holland also a lot of checkpoints are published before: http://www.snelheidscontroles.com/aangekondigdecontroles.htm

just to let you drive slower..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haaggie said:
The TMC-feature is not supported by the government, but it's the 'new way' of radar detection since the use of the radar detectors 9Stingers etc) is not allowed anymore. In Holland you can buy a lot of 'detectors' nowadays that aren't illegal, because based on the TMC-flags.

Anyway, In Holland also a lot of checkpoints are published before: http://www.snelheidscontroles.com/aangekondigdecontroles.htm

just to let you drive slower..
Same in Sweden, the swedish police publish on their homepage where they are going to have speed controls a couple of days before.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Haaggie said:
The TMC-feature is not supported by the government, but it's the 'new way' of radar detection since the use of the radar detectors (Stingers etc) is not allowed anymore. In Holland you can buy a lot of 'detectors' nowadays that aren't illegal, because based on the TMC-flags.
The UK Government plans to make radar detectors illegal too (a Bill was even put before Parliament, but it failed due to an election).

So all we are left with in the UK is GPS devices and our own alertness. BTW nearly one third of all UK drivers have convictions for speeding and road deaths have not decreased at the same rate they used to before speed cameras with the result that 1200 more UK residents per year are being killed on the roads - all because road policing is now all about cameras and revenue NOT making the roads safer. Don't believe the "muddled" statistics published by the laughingly titled "Safety Camera Partnerships".

This UK Government attitude is why so many UK drivers want custom POIs - so that we can use our RNS-E as our speed camera warning device and throw away the additional GPS devices that we are forced to use at the moment (which also increase the risk of thieves breaking into our cars - to steal our camera detectors!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts