Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not able to recode my navi unit with vag-com. When I go into the vag-com open controller, the light on my cable keeps blinking red, and it says "protocol: kwp2089" in the top left hand corner and appears to be trying to connect, but never does. When I enter in the new code and click "do it," it returns to the previous screen but doesn't change the software coding. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
What version of VAG-COM are you using?

IIRC you need at least 409, but it's best to use the latest (512 or beta 606).

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If you can access your VAG screen with NAV unit info (part number etc), and you can't change soft coding, this will mean that your firmware is corrupted (this is not bad) or your EEPROM was damaged (this is bad).

Some people selling those units don't have a clue how to process proper firmware update and you end up with problems later.
In most cases you will be able to reverse and override your firmware, which will allow to correct corrupted sectors.

If you can't connect with VAG at all, this could be either wrong VAG cable, wrong software or damaged EEPROM in your NAV unit. IN last case scenario you will need to return your NAV to the seller for replacement.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Is this an original Ross Tech cable? Can you access other interfaces?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not an original ross-tech cable. It is a usb-hex-can cable though. The cable does appear to work for other interfaces. I had no problem changing the coding for HVAC or Xenon lights. I checked for fault codes, and it reported 2 of them for the navi unit. They are:

01317 - Control module in instrument cluster (j285)
008 - implausible signal

01042 - control module; not coded
000 - -

I was able to clear the first code, but it reappeared the next time that I ran it, but was unable to clear the second code at all. Any ideas how to fix this? My navi works great, but I just want to recode it to get the stock cd changer harness to work.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Probably by proper coding of the RNS-E and instrument cluster. But since you 3rd party cable doesn't talk to the RNS-E it may be hard to verify what the current coding is. I would try to get an interface / software that is able to talk to the RNS-E and then check the coding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to recode it using a different cable and software. However, I still get the first error code with the instrument cluster, and it says that there is no communication with the CD changer harness, even though the phatnoise is plugged into it. Do I need to connect the phatnoise to the CANBUS somehow, or can I just plug the phatnoise cable directly into the CDC harness and have it work? Any ideas?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I doubt this is the problem, but the car doesn't always save settings if the voltage is too low.

Also, if it isn't accepting the coding, chances are it's not a valid code you're using. It just won't take it. Double check you have the right settings with us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recoded it without a problem. Its just not getting communication with the CDC harness. Do I need to wire anything for the Phatnoise besides just plugging it into the CDC harness?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Did you ground the CD Changer? With the RNS-E you have to ground it somewhere, either change come wires around behind the head unit or in the back at the Changer itself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
my vag com can't evne communicate with my rns-e lol

but that's only after i installed my icelink :/

anyone got any ideas?

my DIS shows navi directions tho ...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, your problem is that when you installed the icelink you probabaly replaced your connector "B" in the quad lock plug with the one from your icelink kit.

What you must do is go to your original connector B and remove the wire from pin #5 and insert it into your new connector B in the same slot for pin 5. This is your diagnostic wire and it obviously won't work if it is not plugged in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yeah i figured that's what the problem was - ill just wait till i rip the damn navi out of my dash to mess with the wire

its pin 5 right? ... i have to take it out anyway to do the mute switch

·
Registered
132 Posts
btw i got the same problem with my other stuff with stuff nto saving

u just gotta give it a try - and make sure ur car's started. turn off ur rns and wait a bit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've tried all these things. If my RNS-E was properly coded to accept a CD changer, but there wasn't one connected, would a screen appear when I start the car warning me that there isn't one connected?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Kbone24 said:
I've tried all these things. If my RNS-E was properly coded to accept a CD changer, but there wasn't one connected, would a screen appear when I start the car warning me that there isn't one connected?
No, it won't display a warning but a fault will get logged that canbe read with VAG-COM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts