Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First Happy New Year :D :D .

Following the upgrade to SW 500 of my RNS-E, I want to change the channel 18 of it (to have the brand S4 logo).

But when I want to connect, thanks to my VAG-Com, on Adresses 37 (radio) and 56 (navigation), I have the following error message: "Too many communications Errors to Continue" :evil:

Here is a picture of it:

Where it comes from?

Is it due to the fact that I have unplugged and plugged several times my RNS-E (following my DVD player installation)?

I need your help to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Gasy

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
What version of VAG-COM are you using (607.3 is the newest)?

What cable are you using (a genuine one like a HEX-USB+CAN or a third party cable)?

Will VAG-COM connect to other controllers, like the instruments on address 16?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just asked the same question as I'm having the exact same issue.

Did you retrofit your RNS-E to your car? I did, and I'm pretty sure the issue is that the K-line connection is flaky in my harness. I can connect to other modules just fine, so my problem is only with the RNS-E. As mentioned above, check if you can connect to other modules to isolate if the issue is with VAG-COM or the RNS-E

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Dave : to be honest, my VAG-Com is a "chinese" one (bought on Ebay). It uses the 311.2 version. The cable is not a HEX++USB+CAN. I will say it is a simple HEX+USB.
But what I do not understand, is that he is able to connect without facing problem to other module like adresses 08, 09, 16, 17, 37, 45, 46, 76, 77 for example. So I think it does not come from the cable. But it is only my assumption :? !

@KtKemp : no, I did not retrofit my RNS-E. It is an original one, when I have bought my A4 B7.

@Mbrooks : my 311.2 version is an activated/registrated one. But I am not so sure that I can upgrade it to the last VAG-Com version :? !! Do you think it is possible?

Regards.

Gasy

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In the B7 you should be using a HEX-CAN cable with at least 512.x, better 607.3. You may give 409.x a try, if it supports your cable but I would recommend to forget the cheap cables, they have to many timing issues in newer cars and with newer devices.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Mbrooks : my 311.2 version is an activated/registrated one. But I am not so sure that I can upgrade it to the last VAG-Com version :? !! Do you think it is possible?

Regards.

Gasy
I'm not a VAG COM expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe the latest version of the software is available for free on the VAG-COM website. I downloaded it myself recently without owning any cable or anything. It won't overwrite your existing software, but will create a second icon on your desktop with the newer version. Can't hurt to try!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
With a third party cable the latest version of VAG-COM you can use is 311.2 or 409.1 (depending on the cable), 607.3 will ONLY work with genuine VAG-COM cables not third party cables. Look at the Ross Tech page here for more details of what version of VAG-COM works with which cables.

As AudiA4B6US says, with the B7 A4 you should use a CAN capable cable (notice that you cannot see controller 01 - the engine ECU - because that is a CAN device) either a HEX-COM+CAN, or a HEX-USB+CAN. You should also use the latest VAG-COM - 607.3 today - which as mbrooks says is free to download from the Ross Tech website.

Many of this sort of "unable to communicate" problems are caused by using third party cables.

If you cannot justify the cost of a genuine Ross Tech cable, then you need to find a VAG-COM owner near you who is willing to help you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for your inputs.

I will try to find a "modern" Ross-Tech cable/607 VAG-Com version, compatible with my CAN car.

Gasy

·
Registered
95 Posts
PetrolDave said:
With a third party cable the latest version of VAG-COM you can use is 311.2 or 409.1 (depending on the cable), 607.3 will ONLY work with genuine VAG-COM cables not third party cables.
There is a lot of non-genuine cables that works with 607.3

Regards

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
zx81-sp said:
PetrolDave said:
With a third party cable the latest version of VAG-COM you can use is 311.2 or 409.1 (depending on the cable), 607.3 will ONLY work with genuine VAG-COM cables not third party cables.
There is a lot of non-genuine cables that works with 607.3
I'm quoting what Ross Tech (who create VAG-COM) say on their website, and in many of their support posts on forums worldwide.

Please give us examples of non-genuine cables that work with 607.3 - I'm sure we'd all like to find a cheaper alternative.

Of course, bear in mind that if you contact Ross Tech for support and you do not have a genuine cable then you are on your own...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know where they get it, but for example, at www.mediakit2010.com there are non-geniune products and believe me, the cable works :wink: I don't like that guys, but anyway they sell at good prices, probably there are many on-line stores with similar products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
vag com generic cables

Okay, we've definitely got to get some clarification on this deal with generic cables working with Vag-com. I'm a BIG fan of ross-tech....they helped me back in 01 when I had a 99.5 A4. However, I used to work in the automotive engineering business, and there is no reason we should have to pay $349 for a simple cable that has 2 k lines and a CAN line. I'm happy to pay for the software licensce, because that's paying for development time. But the cable is another matter.

Please, anyone who has gotten a generic cable to work with a version high enough to communicate with the RNS-E post where we can get them!

BR
Brian

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
I think using a third party able with VAG-COM is a classic case of caveat emptor (buyer beware).

You might be lucky and get a fully functional setup and save a few bucks into the bargain, but if you want to be SURE that it will work and want unlimited support if you have problems then the only answer is to spend the extra bucks and get a genuine Ross Tech cable.

It's what I've done and I've used it on many different cars now (not just Audis but also VWs and Skodas) without a single problem.

So many questions on here, and on other forums, are solved by upgrading from a third party cable to a genuine one.

My advice is this - if you have a problem with a third party cable, take the loss and get a genuine one. In the vast majority of cases the problem will go away.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Skynet said:
But I have a problem to change the value "18" to put the RS4 (3) boot screen :evil:
OK I see you actually have an A6 RNS-E (the part number begins 4B0).

How is it coded?

The value that adaptation channel 18 will accept depends on the coding
  • if the RNS-E is coded for an A4 then values 2 (S4) and 3 (RS4) will be accepted
  • if the RNS-E is coded for A3 then the value 1 (S3) will be accepted
  • if the RNS-E is coded for any other car then the values 1, 2 & 3 will NOT be accepted.
IIRC the values 0 (standard), 4 (TT) and 5 (R8 ) are accepted with all codings.

I asked an owner of an 8L S3 to see if we could get his RNS-E to display the S3 startup screen (his RNS-E has to be coded for an A6 to work in an 8L A3/S3) by changing the coding to A3, putting 1 into channel 18, restarting, recoding back to A6 and restarting again.

But it didn't work, the S3 screen only appeared while the unit was coded for an A3 - once he recoded it back to A6 the standard startup screen reappeared.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If the softcoding is not 03xxxxx you cannot set channel 18 to 3, and if the softcoding is 03xxxxx you do get speed over CAN only which breaks navigation in the B5 RS4.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts