Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed an EU RNS-E (192P) in a 2001 A6 with BOSE. I am using an adapter from Ralf Deventer. Originally I did not have the two pins to connect to the CAN bus in the grey cluster connector, so I just left them open. Everything was working fine, other than I had to turn the unit on/off manually, and of course all the stuff coming over CAN did not function (dimming, cluster display, etc).

I just got the pins today, and wired them into pins 5 and 6 of the grey connector. I can now talk to the unit with VAG-COM, and I got BOSE enabled. I went thorugh AudiA4B6US VAG-COM list, and was able to set most of the value as I would expect for an A6. The one things I can't change is channel 2 (GALA), it is stuck at 8. Maybe that makes sense since the A6 uses the GALA wire. However, I don't see any pulses in engineering mode.

Now my real problem is, that with the CAN bus connected, I can turn the RNS-E on with the ignition off, but as soon as I turn the key, the RNS-E locks up asking for the security code. And it will not accept the code with the ignition on. If I turn the ignition off, the RNS-E will then take the security code and operate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am pulling my hair out right now.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I saw a similar post before regarding the SAFE mode and the solution was to reset the unit after making the proper VAG-COM changes. To reset the unit, hold RADIO and SETUP for more than 10 seconds.

You can check if you got the CAN wires connected correctly by checking if illumination and ignition works. Without CAN, the RNS-E should turn off after 30 minutes, not turn off with ignition (or removing the ignition key for the EU unit) and the buttons will not be illuminated when you turn the lights on.

The P and R units can either use the v-pin (speed wire) or CAN-BUS to get the speed impuls. Since the A6 das not have a speed impuls on the CAN-BUS, you have to use the speed wire and code the unit for an A6. You said you did that and this problem may go away after resetting the unit.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AudiA4, thank you for the reply, I will try to reset. I have started to check the adapter, and I discovered that there is no GALA/ V-Signal wire. That would certainly explain, why I am not getting speed pulses.

More worrying is, that I now see the sheet that came with the adapter (in german), has references to Series2 radio. I specified a Symphony I radio, but I wonder if I got a Symphony II adapter. It did have the two flying leads for CAN connection, so maybe it is just missing the V-Speed wire.

Does anybody know, if there are any difference between the two adapters (other than the speed signal), and could that be part of my SAFE problem ?

JoyeD, I believe it is important, that CAN-H is connected to pin 5, and CAN-L to pin 6. Certainly the CAN spec requires it to be correct.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved :)

As usual it was a cockpit error. When I coded function 10 channel 136, I set it for LHD (USA) (00005), thinking it was the car it referred to. However, changing it to LHD (EUROPE) (03226) solved the problem, and it now works with the ignition.

I still have the V-Speed problem, but I need to email Ralf, to see if he can send me a wire to insert in the adapter.

Thanks for the replies, it got me thinking and going back over every step. This forum is fantastic, and filled with helpful people.

I must say the same for the Yahoo Group, I just like the forum format better, and I never managed to perform effective searches on Yahoo.

Bjarne

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I spoke too soon. Everything (except speed signal) was working great. The unit turned on/off with ignition, went from day to night with light switch, etc.

So I cleaned up everything, put tie wraps, and re-installed the unit and the cluster. Now is does exactly the same thing again, it will take the code if ignition is off, but not with ignition on. It turns on and off with the ignition, but that is about it. The only thing I can think of, is that the cluster was dis-connected and re-connected.

I tried to re-code everything, reset the unit multiple times, with no luck.

Anybody has any more ideas, Please !!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Things are progressing. For some reason, after I connected the CAN bus I have the problem with the SAFE code. However, there is some kind of time invloved, after half an hour to an hour it suddenly takes the code fine (after resettting the unit). I don't think it is directly related to the time after you enter the wrong code twice, since I always enter the correct code, and it still says 2 remaining tries.

So now things are back to where you could expect, the cluster works, the RNS-E turns on/off with ignition and goes into night mode when the light are turned on. The steering wheel buttons do not work, and I suspect that I will not get them working, unless I change the controller.

I still don't have the V-Speed signal connected, so navigation updates very sluggisly and it mostly thinks it it off road. Funny, without the CAN bus connected, it actually performed fairly well even without the V-Speed signal. Anyway, I got an answer from Ralf, and he is sending me a wire to connect the GALA to the V-Speed pin, so I am going to wait untill then to go any further.

My A6 is a pre-facelift 2001, so yours might be different, but I have no problems with the color difference between the NAV and the A/C panel. It is different, but not so much that it bothers me. I am considering to change the small panel above the NAV (with the emergency switch) to a wood panel from a newer A6 ($130.00 from the dealer, but it does look nice).

I will let you know as things progresses.

Bjarne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have any pics

Just curious. I have a 2001 A6 also. I am going to do an RNS-E upgrade soon. I am waiting on the cables from Kufatec. I think there is a group of us that want to see some more pre-2002 A6 success stories.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Other than that I don't expect to get the steering wheel buttons to work, I am expecting complete success. The unit now is back to actually updating reasonably fast and giving turn directions in a timely fashion.

The last thing is the GALA/V-Speed wire. I expect it will be about a week for it to arrive, and I will give a final report then :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Re: Do you have any pics

johnnya6 said:
Just curious. I have a 2001 A6 also. I am going to do an RNS-E upgrade soon. I am waiting on the cables from Kufatec. I think there is a group of us that want to see some more pre-2002 A6 success stories.
Yup...aren't we all. I have a climate control unit from a 2002-2004 A6 already....so the color won't be an issue for me. I've also added the burlwood color trim piece (above Nav+ unit)...so that's just one less piece of black trim to change out.

The other thing that I also have is headlight switch from a 2002 A6...but I'm not really concerned with swapping that out.

Good work. Keep us posted.
-ted

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't gotten the GALA wire yet, but I will update when I do.

Ted, where did you get the burlwood trim panel from (above the NAV+) ? I have been thinking about doing that, but the dealer wants $135.00 for that piece, and I have not decided, if it is worth that much to me.

Bjarne

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just received the wire for the speed signal tonight, and installed it.

So this is where I am at:

The speed signal works, and navigation is more precise in knowing exactly where to turn.

Except for the steering wheel buttons (they do not work), I am very happy with the install, and consider everything working to my satisfaction.

I was not happy with the adapter cable for the diversity antenna, it required cutting the connector off the car side and replace it. One of my goals were to be able to restore the car to original condition, in case I want to sell it, so cutting a connector off was definitely not in my plans. So for now, I did not connect the diversity connector, and all the stations in my area of interest are strong enough, that I don't need it. Later I will get the correct one from Kufatec, and install that.

I will probably in the background start to investigate the steering wheel controller, but for now I think I will just enjoy the RNS-E.

Good luck to you guys, who still has the adventure ahead :)
Bjarne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed RNSE! 2001 A6

Another install for the forum! I am so grateful for this site and the people that post info.

2001 A6 4.2 built in May, 2001
Bose
US Navigation
Rear CD changer
Hands free

Installed a Euro RNSE into a US car..
I finally got my adaptors from Kuftec, So far so good. I still have to do the VAG programming and burn /load the Nav DVD. Currently, everything is physically wired up. I even hooked up the factory nav antenna in the trunk. My car:

Suprisingly, even without the VAG programming, the RNSE works great with the Radio, CD Changer, Illumination, and Ignition on/off. The Bose even sounds great!

Not working yet-
DIS display
Multifuntion Wheel
Navigation-Still have to burn a DVD....
Clock is not accurate-(common)

My concerns:
Once I can track down a VAG -Minneapolis, MN, I can hopefully get at least the DIS working.

My adaptor did not come with a speed wire also. It had Can Hi and Can Lo. I hooked up the CAN Hi and CAN low to the grey connector behind the dash. I noticed that there were already exisiting wires in the connector #5 and #6. Assuming this is for the factory US Nav, do you think I still need to hook the speed wire or is that done through CAN?

Also, if this is done through CAN than does it mean that I can possibly have a programmable steering wheel?

Is there anyone outthere have some experience converting a US cd Nav to RNSE? Is there anything hope for CAN for car that had this option from the factory?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
AFAIK, the A6 does not have speed over CAN. You need a 4B0 RNS-E and connect the speed wire. You will also need to make sure that the RNS-E is configured for an A6, means is expecting speed over the wire and not as part of the CAN signal.

I think chances are pretty low that you will get the steering buttons to work. At least from what has been posted so far, they don't seem to use CAN which would be a must.

If you have the US DVD from Navteq, send me a PM and I will work with you on getting your backup copy to work in the EU unit.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Johnnya6, from the production date of your A6, it looks like you have the facelift 2001. That is why you have the CAN wiring to the cluster. Does your car have the Symphony I or Symphony II radio?

AFAIK, the steering wheel buttons talk to the Symphony I radio via CLK/DATA, and the Symphony II via CAN. So if you had a Symphony II radio, the steering wheel controller would be CAN enbaled and chances are good they would work with the RNS-E. If you are like me, with a Symphony I radio, you would have to change the steering wheel controller, and maybe some of the wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am wondering how the US factory audi nav recieves it's speed signal. Is it also wired with the speed signal or CAN BUS? I am confused bescause of the CAN BUS wires were hooked up behind the dash.

My car is the facelift (looks like the 2004 A6 4.2.) I think I do have the Symphony I radio. I also did notice that the radio did not have the CAN Hi and CAN lo hooked up. I may be out of luck with the steering wheel controls.

I hope the programming runs smooth. Also, I need to get the DVD from navtec as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Successful install of EU RNSE in US 2001 A6 C5 4.2...

....that had Symphony I (with Bose) and trunk mounted factory changer.

After waiting 6 or so weeks for my C5 adapter from Kufatec, I finally installed my unit permanently (had a barebones adapter that came with unit before that) with much success thanks in great part to the helpful folk on this forum.

The Kufatec adapter didn't come with a speed signal wire (which seems to be a common occurance) but I managed to fabricate one out of parts from my barebones adapter and an extra pin I had for connecting tthe CAN lines to the grey connector behind the cluster (FYI the female pin isn't quite the right one but fits inside the harness and works like a charm nonetheless).

Received my KEY-USB VAG-COM interface from Ross-tech today and changed all the settings in a minute or two. The cheap interface I bought off of eBay a few months back wouldn't communicate with the RSNE (or several other control modules for that matter) so the upgrade was well worth it to me.

So everything works just fine, except of course for the steering wheel controls. Hiding the GPS antenna behind the cluster works perfectly (thank god for that time saving tip). Oh, and the KIWI shoe shine sponge trick works very well. That color mismatch was going to bother me, but now it's barely noticeable.

I figure my total cost was around $2500 USD including accessories like the VAG-COM, a couple of 512Mb SD cards, adapters and nav DVD.

I hope my wife doesn't browse this forum. :wink:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JoeyD, concrats on the successful install :)

Did you get the dual FAKRA cable for the radio and diversity antenna from KUFATEC ? Did it fit the diversity antenna connector in the car, or did you have to do any cutting?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, bjarne. I did get the dual pig tail FAKRA adapter from Kufatec and it seemed to fit perfectly with the diversity antenna in the car (NB I used the little black clip that originally held the diversity antenna in place in the Symphony 1 radio to secure it to the new adapter; otherwise it would have easily detached itself). However, I'm not quite sure it's actually working. When I had just the diversity antenna hooked up (ie no FM antenna), I didn't seem to get any radio reception. I didn't really investigate this very far because with the FM adapter attached, I got more stations than I could want so, eh, whatever! Is there a way to check in engineering mode whether or not the diversity antenna is getting reception?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts