Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've done some more digging on the privacy handset thing. It's not an Audi part, but a Nokia part. This article (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec12.shtml) discusses wiring the RJ45 jack in the armrest to use it.

Has anyone here actually dealt with one of the analog phone preps? It sounds like b5retrofit is using at least part of it for his bluetooth module install. He mentioned using the speaker and microphone, which is wired to the DB25 connector in the trunk. There is a good pinout description for the DB25 as well as the RJ45 jack here (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec10.shtml).

My ideal setup would be to get the bluetooth module working, then add the privacy handset so that it switches to it when I pick up the handset.

This doesn't sound that far-fetched, does it?

Jamie

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Again, I dont want to rain on your parade, but the privacy handset is not supported on the BT module.

Craig

·
Registered
996 Posts
Also, I wouldn't use the RJ45 jack for an aftermarket handsfree/BT install...as the gauge wire cannot support powering a HF/BT kit.

That being said, you have three wires coming out of the RNS-E or Plug/Play adaptor for Mute, Speaker + / - that you should run directly to an aftermarket or OEM kit. See my link of mods below for more details on what I've done.

I'm putting in a Motorola IHF1000 BT kit ($200) this month and that will be how it will be wired to the RNS-E. If I had the extra $400, I would have installed the OEM kit....but oh well....no biggie. I might add it later.

-ted

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of doing the switching outside of the blutooth module. The DB25 connector has the microphone and speaker leads as well as the RJ45 in the armrest. It should be not terribly difficult to wire it in such that the switching happens before the bluetooth module. It wouldn't know the difference between getting its input from the mic and speaker or the handset.

Option 1 would be just running a cable between the rear where the DB25 is and where the bluetooth module gets installed.

Option 2 is to install the bluetooth module in the back and run an extension to the bluetooth harness to the head unit. The range on bluetooth is sufficient to handle this.

Of course, I may be oversimplifying this all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts