Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently installed an RNS-E unit into my girlfriend's B7 A4. The unit came from a B5 S4 (2000). When I drive I am getting between 4-8 satellites and our position is not moving at the rate we are. In fact, our position updates about once every ten seconds, and when it does we are not pointing in the right direction and it appears we remain static (not moving once our position is updated).

We did not yet Vag the unit for her car, and I am hoping this might be the issue. I also have a unit in my car, and it is working fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I am pretty sure it is not a lack of satellites.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
B5 S4 the unit will be coded as an A6 and looking for the speed pulse over the GALA wire.

You need to code it for an A4 in the B7

·
Registered
235 Posts
or..perhaps you didn't run the gala wire?
I'm not an expert like Craigy, but that would be my guess :)

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
speed pulse is available over CAN bus in a B7, but if you really want to, it is available from the cluster. Don't know what connector or pin of the top of my head.

So simple solution, just recode it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I figured this would be the case.

I did run the Gala wire into the unit.

I will try to recode it tonight and give you guys an update tomorrow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i did it on the b7.... speed sensor is over can... you DO NOT NEED THE GALA WIRE... try removing the gala wire and see if it works, otherwise you will need to code your RNS as a A4.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I assume a 00 a6 would need the gala wire?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
dmollico said:
I assume a 00 a6 would need the gala wire?
Correct.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Gala-signal on channel 4?

Reading on measurements on channel 4, gives:
1 - Speed-Signal
2 - x km/h
3 - Reverse signal on/off
4 - N/A

Would the reading on this Speed-signal on an A6, with the GALA-connection show the GALA-speed? Or does it only show CAN-speed, which in the case of A6 would only show 0 km/h, since CAN does not transmit speed on the A6.

Does anyone know?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey AudiA4B6US,
Would a 2000 S4 2.7t need the gala wire? It has a factory bose system...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yes, any B5 A4/S4 (8D platform) needs the speed signal.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's what craigyb said in the first reply.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
That's what craigyb said in the first reply.
Often the case that the first reply contains the (simple) solution ... but if you're looking for a complex solution it's easy not to believe the solution can be that simple!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand that is what craigyb said, and just wanted to confirm so in the case that somebody is searching and wondering what the outcome was, I have made it simple for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem, only a little different situation. I have a '00 A6 and have had this unit in for about a year now. My dvd drive went and I had it replaced. Before I replaced the drive the nav arrow pointed the right way, had about 4-8 satelites, and it updated constantly as I drove. Now it only updates periodically and is not facing the right way. Could this be because the drive is from another model other than an A6? I hope its just simple coding.

TIA

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
A6ex said:
I hope its just simple coding.
Most likely coding, or even as simple as stored fault codes from when you pulled the unit out to replace the DVD drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.