Audi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RNS-E and just flashed the firmware to allow VIM. Once I flashed it the RNS-E locked up and is asking for the 4 digit pin code. I pulled the unit and it has no code anywhere on it. I checked all my manuals and documentation there is no pin code anywhere.

I called the dealer and they want to charge me 1 - 1.5 hour labor at $125 hr. just for the code. They said it wasn't a simple procedure that they had to pull the radio and hook it up to a computer which connects to AOA and retrieves the pin code. It sounds like BS to me, I was told from someone who works on Audi's that all the dealer needs is the serial number from the radio.

Can someone chime in here....

I really need this code and don't feel like paying $125 - $150 for a code that should have been provided by the dealer.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The official way is to connect the dealer VAS to the car, lookup the serial number and then request the pin online from Audi in Germany. If your car is still under warranty, claim that it just happened to ask for the code and ask them to fix it. Once they got the code (which should be in your anvi manual anyway), ask them to tell you the code to avoid future issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would work except the RNS-E is now in german from the 0080 VIM flash. They would know there was tampering.

·
Registered
104 Posts
teknikk7 said:
That would work except the RNS-E is now in german from the 0080 VIM flash. They would know there was tampering.
Same thing happened to me, but I took it in and just said it came up out of nowhere. They didn't know any better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have many PM's about how I got the pin code. Let's just say I know someone, maybe I can help you get yours. I need the AUZ# and VIN#.

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
teknikk7 said:
I have many PM's about how I got the pin code. Let's just say I know someone, maybe I can help you get yours. I need the AUZ# and VIN#.

Thanks
If the RNSE's in question are retrofitted in and the PIN is not done per vehicle but instead per unit not sure how the VIN# helps.

I.e. an RNSE originally installed in a 2005 B6 gets tranplanted into a 2003 B6 ... the radio PIN doesn't change but the VIN of the vehicle does.

Pretty sure the PIN is based on the serial number of the RNSE unit itself and nothing else.

Maybe I'm wrong but I highly doubt the vehicle serial number has anything to do with retrieving the pin. It's probably used to make sure a compatible unit is shipped to be installed.

Maybe the original VIN is used somehow (using a calculation or something) to set the initial PIN but even that doesn't make sense since I'm almost positive the radio's PIN values are set by the radio manufaturer BEFORE they get to the production line to be installed.

Just my 0.02

HTH

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The dealer needs to supply a VIN to retrieve a code against the serial AUZ.

Doesn't matter what VIN, they just need one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Craig is correct. Any VIN will work, but you must have the correct AUZ.. #

Steve

craigyb said:
The dealer needs to supply a VIN to retrieve a code against the serial AUZ.

Doesn't matter what VIN, they just need one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
there is a software disc that hacks the older rns e pre 93 units and changes the pin to the last 4 digits of auz num.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts