Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen this issue posted. Audi cannot give me a valid PIN code for an original unit to the car.

I needed to remove my battery over the weekend. Naturally I needed a PIN code after.

I went to the dealer to get the PIN code. The same dealer that sold me the used car and did not supply me with a PIN code. They retrieved the PIN code from Audi, but it does not work. The dealer tells me there must be an electrical fault with the unit and a new one is 2,000 Euros please.

The ECU was replaced last year. Could that be relevant?

What are my options versus replacing a perfectly good nav/radio system?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The ECU was replaced last year.
Which ECU? - your car has 20+ ECUs...

Even when installed in a car with a different VIN the RNS-E will accept the correct PIN code, which suggest that the PIN code the dealer has given you is not the correct one.

There are members on here who can sort this problem for you without you having to buy another RNS-E...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I can only presume the dealer did what they were supposed to do. They pulled the unit to check the Serial Number etc..

As for the ECU. Part number 4B0 920 933 GX. When the car was returned after the replacement, the radio wasn't shutting off with the ignition, until they reprogrammed the new ECU.

Funny thing is, even now the current street and compass heading is showing in the instrument panel. Even the CD changer is playing. No sound, but its playing.

I am hoping that somebody on this forum can offer a solution.

Has anybody heard of a fault with these units where it won't accept a correct PIN? Can the dealer really get it wrong?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The X at the end of the part nuber means that it has been replaced in the past. It's not the factory installed unit and therefore the PIN stored in the factory database is wrong. You either have a sticker somewhere in the car with the new PIN or the dealer can look up the service history of the car, find the service record for the RNS-E replacement and hope that someone recorded the new PIN. If both doesn't work than you will need a new main board so send the unit to someone who knows how to reset the PIN.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was able to get the PIN for my remanufactured unit (like yours) from justanswer.com. Cost me $20, I think. An Audi tech used my AUZ number from the top of the unit and got the pin in about 30 minutes. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, there was a misunderstanding. I posted the part number of the replacement ECU, not the sat/nav.

The sat/nav serial number is AUZBZ7G2710679. I've searched the car very carefully for any sticker. No luck.

Audi says the code should be 0430. Does not work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct PIN Does Not Work

So it seems I have the correct PIN. It's now been indepentently verified. The correct PIN does not work. Something has gone wrong with the unit.

Are there any options beyond a complete replacement?

I expect the anti-theft measures make it difficult to overcome this particular problem.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There are sellers on here that sell the mainboard only (with a known PIN code). There are also ways to reset the code but most of the people who know how to do that are in Eastern Europe and you never know if you get your unit back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You dont need to send the unit off, use the reset disc. It generates a new serial number and uses the last 4 digits as the new PIN code.

Its a zip file, just unzip and burn to a CD.

I'm at work at the moment but can upload it tonight when i get home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So it seems I have the correct PIN. It's now been indepentently verified. The correct PIN does not work. Something has gone wrong with the unit.

Are there any options beyond a complete replacement?

I expect the anti-theft measures make it difficult to overcome this particular problem.
Have you tried the (quite strange) PIN code procedure from this retrofit DIY?

http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNS.pdf (page 14)

Edit: Removed the second part of the post - found the code for the new RNS-E unit in the navi DVD case. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Due

Just a quick post to publicly thank Rabbit for repairing my unit.

It took me a while to get to it, but he fixed it and returned it very quickly, as he promised.

He was able to help when Audi and my Dealer had no interest beyond selling me a new unit.

Thanks again Rabbit!

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
He was able to help when Audi and my Dealer had no interest beyond selling me a new unit.
Sadly that's their normal response to anything they don't have the knowledge to fix. They're not interested in finding out how to fix it, so they suggest you buy a new one - another sign of the disposable society (which I hate).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts