Audi Forum banner

phaxbox / NAV plus problem

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  NSX JR 
#1 ·
Well,

I was told that the NAV+ (RNS-E) and phatbox were compatible.

My phatbox refuses to powerup. I thought it was fried so I took it to the dealership and they installed it in a car with a symphony radio and it powered up right away.

Is there any special coding that I need to put in the NAV+ for it to recognize that there is a phatbox there?

I have a CD charnger in my car, and it uses the same cable. The CD changer works with the NAV+.

I have a 2001.5 B5 S4

Please advise. Thanks.

+S4all

#2 ·
I had the same problem with my 2003 RS6. The CD changer harness on mine has a Brown (ground) wire that went into a Brown plug that is now not used with the RNS-e. I cut it and grounded it to the chassis of the RNS-e and all is good.

OR simply ground the Phatbox itself to chassis and see if it works.

#5 ·
Phatbox and CD changer at once?

Hi S4aLL,

Do I undrstand correctly that you have both the Phatbox and the CD changer working at the same time?

If so, could you tell how this is configured (y-splitter?) and used (how to access CD vs Phatbox)?

Thanks in advance!

best regards,

S4udibert

#6 ·
No, one of the previous posts mentioned the CD-changer harness which is what the PhatBox plugs into. It replaces a CD changer. The only way I've seen to have both was to use a cable that split the harness to go to both boxes. It also had a switch to select which unit was powered. However, the guy who was producing them has since (to my knowledge) stopped making them. [/quote]

#7 ·
Re: Phatbox and CD changer at once?

S4udibert said:
Hi S4aLL,

Do I undrstand correctly that you have both the Phatbox and the CD changer working at the same time?

If so, could you tell how this is configured (y-splitter?) and used (how to access CD vs Phatbox)?

Thanks in advance!

best regards,

S4udibert

I have it set up like this but I have the Phatbox & the OEM Sirius Satellite Tuner installed without a toggle switch. So I'm sure you could hook up the CD Changer and Phatbox without a problem.

#8 ·
The SAT receiver plus Phatbox install is different since the SAT receiver has an audio through for the CDC device. Two CDC type devices will always require some active or passive splitter.

#9 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
The SAT receiver plus Phatbox install is different since the SAT receiver has an audio through for the CDC device. Two CDC type devices will always require some active or passive splitter.

Yes your right! I forgot the OEM Tuner has the audio pass through.

#10 ·
Thanks for your replies..............so either I try to get hold on a Y-cable or I have to choose for either the Phatbox or the CD changer...........

(when buying 2x4=8gb sd cards, it might be an option to keep the cd changer and sell my phatbox)

#11 ·
give the pbox a try. at $160 each...you really can't go wrong. Navigating the pbox in the RNS-E is a bit tricky (vs. Sym I/II etc)....and it will take a bit to understand how to do it.

If you don't like the pbox...just sell it and buy a used CD changer on ebay for $120. Both are plug/play.

see below for my other mods...for my pbox install etc..etc.

#12 ·
Thx TeddyBgame, all your mods/installs look great!

I already own a phatbox (used it for years in my 2002 TT), and now have a 2005 S4 , which includes a RNS-E and CD changer.

The dual switching device is the thing I need. The link on AudiWorld is not working however. Is Jeff Bipes still offering this? If not, will a "simple" DIN Y-connector (or splitter) work too?

TIA

regards from Holland,

S4udibert aka Albert

#13 ·
S4udibert said:
Thx TeddyBgame, all your mods/installs look great!

I already own a phatbox (used it for years in my 2002 TT), and now have a 2005 S4 , which includes a RNS-E and CD changer.

The dual switching device is the thing I need. The link on AudiWorld is not working however. Is Jeff Bipes still offering this? If not, will a "simple" DIN Y-connector (or splitter) work too?

TIA

regards from Holland,

S4udibert aka Albert
AFAIK Jeff Bipes does not make his device anymore. A simple Y splitter will not work because you have to have some way of turning one device on and one device off... otherwise you'll have two devices talking data to the headunit which would be too confusing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.