Audi Forum banner

Phatbox in >2005 A6...or MP3 in general

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sbaffi 
#1 ·
Hello everybody I am new to this forum :D

I tried to search the forum for answers to my questions, but could not find any so I will bother you 8) .

It's my understanding the stock Audi sound system would not play mp3s unless you get 1) Ipod or 2) Phatbox.

Any other way?

Is the Phatbox compatible with a MMI high?

Thanks!

#2 ·
The phatbox itself is not comatible with the MMI because the MMI doesn't have the old style CD changer connector.

But Audi is rumored to come out with a new interface for the MMI system that will allow connecting a USB device (and/or iPod). No information about availability or if it is retrofitable. There is also a new CD changer for the MMI that supports MP3 CDs.

#3 ·
It is also been rumored for the last year that Dension is coming out with a MOST-based Ipod interface for the C6 A6, D3 A8 and Q7.....but I have yet to see anything definitive. Maybe someone has one already.

In general, I think that it is a shame that you can spend $50+K on a great Audi car and not have any kind of MP3 support. In this case, maybe you are better off downgrading to a 2004 C5 and upgrade to the RNSE etc..etc.

:)

#4 ·
Dension Gateway 500 is the product for A6/A8 and possibly Q7. Not released yet, was slated for June 2006, I have some on order, but not seen them yet.

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php

Audi will be factory fitting this as an option pretty soon.

Craig

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

I am currently driving a 2005 Renault Laguna GT where I installed a Pioneer HD1BT (Z1 in USA), which is a great nav and an even better Audio-Video platform...we are talking about 30Gb of built-in hard disk for mp3 files and videos.

I am thinking about changin' to a A6. From what I saw at the dealership and from the forum videos the Audi nav is not as fancy as the Pioneer but I can live with it.

The lack of mp3 capabilities, insted, is something that I do not like much since I drive a lot and need my music :twisted:

#7 ·
Thanks Paul I found that out from Audiworld.....the german Audi web configurator now allows to choose the mp3/music interface option for 240 Euros, no trace of it in the dutch one :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.