Audi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aux Heater went into Component Protection, this is the cause for the error on the Auto HVAC Controller.

You have to go to an Audi Service to remove the CP on the Aux Heater, There is no other way.
I'm also interested in your latest venture .. "Mods in progress: Driver's seat memory " ;-)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Even with VagCom, CP can be removed only by VAS Diagnosis System with an online connection to Audi in Germany.
VAS is checking if the component is flagged as being stolen or coming from a stolen car. Only when receives authorization from the Audi Server the CP can be removed.

The "next venture" is scheduled for the beginning of 2011 and i guess ill do it in February as in January my car is scheduled for alcantara linings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even with VagCom, CP can be removed only by VAS Diagnosis System with an online connection to Audi in Germany.
VAS is checking if the component is flagged as being stolen or coming from a stolen car. Only when receives authorization from the Audi Server the CP can be removed.

The "next venture" is scheduled for the beginning of 2011 and i guess ill do it in February as in January my car is scheduled for alcantara linings.
Hmm funny that .. my car was stolen and recovered april this year (thanks to Tracker) !!!!

ok.. so i'll get it cleared next service.. it dosnt seem to stop the heater working though ..

Also.. "Next Venture" this is somthing i am definately looking at ... keep me posted.. ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
A million times "thank you" to Neo.

Following your instructions I checked that the Aux heat module was correctly coded for "no N279", cleared the DTCs and enabled the timers on the HVAC module. And it bloody works!

My heart did skip a beat when checking for DTCs and the Aux heat reported a problem - I initially thought it may be defective but when looking at the detail - it was complaining that the fuel gauge had gone below it's minimum value - which it has, twice - when I've been short of fuel and forgotten my wallet. :)

Just a shame my instrument panel is too old to support longcoding - was looking forward to trying needle sweep etc.

Thanks again Neo - you're a star.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You can add the remote control now for the aux heater, which is not a hard to do retrofit, nor expensive as you can find the required parts on ebay.de

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can add the remote control now for the aux heater, which is not a hard to do retrofit, nor expensive as you can find the required parts on ebay.de
Neo I have been using the aux heater this winter and it has been really useful.

Now I'd like to add the remote control and receiver but before I order the parts, I want to be sure my Q7 will accomodate the receiver

In post number 8, you said "2. Remote control receiver. This is fitted in the luggage compartment on the right hand side, next to the Phone Aerial Amplifier. It is used to receive the commands from the remote control and to turn the aux.heater on/off. It is connected to 12v, with only one wire to the aux heat controller and to the antenna amplifier in the right C-Pillar. Not all Q7 though have the right antenna amplifier that has the output for heater remote control. All of them have the antenna fitted on the right side window."

Do I need to check anything in the luggage compartment, or am I okay to go ahead and order the parts you listed earlier?

Also, can you advise how to connect the receiver in the luggage compartment? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks again for giving me a warm cabin this winter ;-)

·
Registered
595 Posts
First you will have to check if you have the right aerial amplifier.
For this you will have to take out the C-Pillar trim on the right side. To access the screws, gently pull the "Airbag" sign in the upper part, and then the lower part of the C-pillar. The lower part trim is fixed only by clamps and you can remove it bu pulling it outwards. After you take the 2 screws out and remove the upper c-pillar trim you will see next to the windows an aerial amplifier with several wires connected to it. The wire number is related to the options of your car. If your car is ready to accomodate the webasto remote control unit you will see an empty yellow aerial connector on the top side of the amplifier. The connector should be the first from the top. If it is there and is empty you just have to connect the remote control receiver there, if it is not you will have to swap the aerial amplifier with the right one or use a GSM window mount antenna for the webasto remote control receiver. The webasto remote control operates on 800 MHz so a standard GSM antenna, the types you can stick on the interior side of the window will do the job perfectly.

If you need more info, please send me a PM with your email address and i will send you some schematics.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Few more tips&tricks for Q7 owners with activated aux. heat option:

Auto HVAC Adaptation Ch.16
0=Aux Heat in Residual Heating Mode Disabled
1=Aux Heat in Residual Heating Mode Enabled

Auto HVAC Adaptation Ch.19
0=Aux Heat OFF if ECON MODE ON
1=AUX Heat ON regardless ECON MODE set

Aux. Heat Adaptation Ch.3
1=Aux Heat will run until preset timer runs out
2=Aux Heat will turn OFF if ENGINE WILL TURN OFF.

Residual Heating can be activated when you turn off ignition, remove the key and press for 2-3 seconds the ECON/ON/OFF button on the climatronic control unit.
In this mode the climatronic will turn on and pump hot air using the residual heat of the engine. If the engine will cool down and there will not be enough heat to keep the preset temperature the climatronic unit will start the auxiliary heater to help warming the cabin.
This function is very useful if you stop the car for few minutes, and want to keep the interior warm with the engine off and the car locked.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is just getting better and better! Hopefully I'll soon have remote control Aux heating, and now I can keep the car warm while waiting inside it without having to run the engine.

I'm going to try the residual heating changes with vag-com tomorrow.

Thanks yet again, Neo!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have enabled everything, it comes on at the times, but it seems to drain the battery very quickly and the car is warming up slightly but stops to prevent the battery from draining. (2007 model) Is it time for a new battery? Or coding issue?

Cheers

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you have the original battery from 2007, it is time to change it with a new one. The heater indeed takes a lot of current from the battery but will never drain it to a point where you can not start the car. Based on experience i can tell you that in my car i can run the heater for one hour and the battery level indicator in the MMI will drop to 40%.

The battery i have now is my second, i swaped the original one last year in November, so this one is an year old. The original battery was good for 2 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Neo, you are the man. I need to do this after the last few weeks in the UK.

Can anyone tell me if this coding can be done with the VCDS Lite shareware with £20 usb cable or do I need the full VCDS kit (£263) HEX-USB CAN thing from Gendan?

I only want to make this mod so can't really justify the full kit, is there anyone in the Berkshire area that can help?

Many thanks
Tim

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know about the lite version, but if you are ever in the North-East of England I can help you out with use of the full version.

One question I have is whether a flat battery can be caused by using VCDS for around 30 to 40 minutes with ignition on, in freezing weather (-4C).

I used it on the evening, and came back to a flat battery the following morning. Temperatures were around -7C overnight. The battery was fitted new a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Im not sure about the lite version, never used it so i dont know if it is capable of also saving data or just reading the faults.

Use a standard vcds just to stay on the safe side.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aux. Heat Adaptation Ch.3
1=Aux Heat will run until preset timer runs out
2=Aux Heat will turn OFF if ENGINE WILL TURN OFF.
Neo,

Can you explain this setting? Does it indicate that aux heat will continue even if this will discharge the battery beyond the point that the car can start?

Or does it indicate that if the car is started during the preset timer period and subsequently stopped again that the aux heating continues until the end of the preset period?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks again Neo.

I haven't changed aux heat adaptation 3 - since I'm not sure what it does. But I have enabled aux heating in residual heating mode and it works perfectly. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks Zak and Neo. Ufclassified has kindly made contact with an offer to help locally.

What a great thread, really looking forward to having a warm car in the morning.

Great input Neo, love the stuff you've done to your car.

Best regards all.
T.

41 - 60 of 190 Posts