Audi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know if also works on the A8?

I have a 3.0TDi which also has module 18 (Aux Heating) installed.

Thanks
It works in the A8 but requires different coding compared to Q7, if you have a VAG-COM i can help you with activation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Works on the A8 (MY 2005)

It works in the A8 but requires different coding compared to Q7, if you have a VAG-COM i can help you with activation.
Thanks for your quick response! I think I may have just worked it out and increased the coding for module 08 (HVAC) by +2.

I'm not sure if I needed to, but also went into the hidden MMI menu and enabled the Aux Heating option?

I now get all the timers etc on MMI... so just need to see how effective it is!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks for your quick response! I think I may have just worked it out and increased the coding for module 08 (HVAC) by +2.

I'm not sure if I needed to, but also went into the hidden MMI menu and enabled the Aux Heating option?

I now get all the timers etc on MMI... so just need to see how effective it is!!
Indeed you got it right, it should work without a problem based on the timers you set. Please be aware that if the outside temperature is high the system will start Aux Ventilation and the heater will remain OFF.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Indeed you got it right, it should work without a problem based on the timers you set. Please be aware that if the outside temperature is high the system will start Aux Ventilation and the heater will remain OFF.
Ah... that explains it! I did wonder why it was going into ventilation mode (it's about 20c outside).

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi, how did you get on with the mod? I have just made the same adjustment to my A8, very easy to do.

Cheers Chris.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, how did you get on with the mod? I have just made the same adjustment to my A8, very easy to do.

Cheers Chris.
It's all working fine now. Though we've only just had mornings that are cold enough for the system to operate!

Interestingly, I've also had a new battery fitted by Audi last week as the old one kept losing it's charge. When Audi tested the old battery, they said it's condition was okay, but general fault finding (VAS5051) reported the battery wasn't strong enough for a car with auxilary heating. They've now replaced the battery with a higher capacity model used on A8's with aux heating.

I'm interested in learning how to retrofit the coolant shut off valve though, as the timer ran for 30 mins this morning and it only managed to defrost a small patch on the windscreen. I've now set it to 45 mins for tomorrow morning to see how effective it is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sadly... it seems my 2009 Q7 TDI USA model doesn't have the Aux heater :(... I can't connect to the module so guessing they didn't include it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Indeed it is not included as standard in the us.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's all working fine now. Though we've only just had mornings that are cold enough for the system to operate!

Interestingly, I've also had a new battery fitted by Audi last week as the old one kept losing it's charge. When Audi tested the old battery, they said it's condition was okay, but general fault finding (VAS5051) reported the battery wasn't strong enough for a car with auxilary heating. They've now replaced the battery with a higher capacity model used on A8's with aux heating.

I'm interested in learning how to retrofit the coolant shut off valve though, as the timer ran for 30 mins this morning and it only managed to defrost a small patch on the windscreen. I've now set it to 45 mins for tomorrow morning to see how effective it is.
In 30 mins your car should defrost completly even without the valve, please chech the temperature you left on the climatronic unit, for best results i advice setting it on 28 degrees celsius.

Also there is another mod that allows you to slightly increese the fan speed while in aux heat mode, this is good as it will create a higher flow of warm air inside the vehicle which will speed up the heating.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey neo,
I am able to program the timer but the heater does not turn on.
i notice that the auxilary heater option in mmi goes back to off about a minute after i select on?
any idea what i am doing wrong?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi, check with vag-com if you have controller 18-aux heat in the gareway. Not all q7 us version have the aux heater installed as standard. If you can not see the aux heater controller it seams you do not have the heater installed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't have 18-aux heat. Can it be installed and how much?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Its not only the controller that is missing, also the entire heater unit. The controller is a part of it.
Check with a local webasto dealer as the installation of the heater requires some other modifications in fuel lines an cooling lines.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi. My first post, be gentle.

I am awaiting delivery of Vag-com cable and software now. :)

On vwvortex (admittedly talking about Touaregs) it is claimed that a "dummy load" must be connected in place of the N279 before the software modification (adding 2048 to module coding) works. Otherwise it is claimed the heater runs for a minute, throws an error code and shuts down.

Too many error codes produce a lock-up in the Webasto.

Do I *NEED* to obtain and fit the N279 - or modify the wiring loom to imitate the presence of the N279? Or neither?

Thanks in advance all.

Jon

·
Registered
595 Posts
You dont have to do nothing in regard to N279.
In Q7, the coding of the 18- Aux.Heat looks as follows:

00XYZ

X=0 - No shut-off valve fitted (N279)
X=1 - Shut-Off Valve fitted (N279)

Y=0 - Switch-on condition, ambient temperature less than/equal to 5°C.
Y=2 - Switch-on condition, ambient temperature less than/equal to 1°C.

Z=1 - Shut-off due to low voltage via energy management control unit -J644.
Z=2 - The low voltage shut-off occurs at the voltage entered in the Adaption function

As you can see if the 3rd digit is set to 0 the system will totally ignore the N279 valve so there is no need in adapting anything.

Hope it helps, if you need further assistance please use PM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
enabled aux heater fine but seeing error

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: None
Control Module Part Number: 4L0 910 043 HW: 4L0 820 043 F
Component and/or Version: KLIMABETAETIGUNGH05 0060
Software Coding: 0003094
Work Shop Code: WSC 31414 790 00001
VCID: E1C2C3D841CF
1 Fault Found:
01207 - Control Module for Auxiliary Heater (J364)
013 - Check DTC Memory

If you clear it, it comes back..

I did have this error on module 18, which you cant clear though.
Not sure if this has caused it on the module 8..????

Address 18: Aux. Heat Labels: None
Part No SW: 4L0 910 105 HW: 4L0 815 071 D
Component: Heizgeraet H08 0080
Revision: 0000000C Serial number: 00000009014264
Coding: 0000001
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
VCID: E0C4C6DC4A2B

1 Fault Found:
02095 - Component Protection Active
000 - -

·
Registered
595 Posts
Aux Heater went into Component Protection, this is the cause for the error on the Auto HVAC Controller.

You have to go to an Audi Service to remove the CP on the Aux Heater, There is no other way.

21 - 40 of 192 Posts