Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2007 3.0TDI S-Line UK spec. I would love to have my car nice and warm on cold winter mornings so went looking on google / forums about Auxiliary / Parking heating. From what I can gather the Q7 or should I say most common rail deisel's have a form of auxiliary heater due to the fact the engine does not produce enough heat for internal passanger comfort.

So here are a few questions I wouldl ike answering

Do all Q7's have a auxiliary heater 100%?
Can I purchase a control unit to allow timed on/off?
will this heater heat the internals cab?
Has anyone done this?
Any links to products?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
595 Posts
The q7 tdi has aux heater factory installed. It is a webasto thermotop C. In order to activate the timers on MMI you need to recode some of the modules. It is quite simple but it will require a VAG cable. I can walk you tghru this if you want. I did in my 2007 Q7 and works perfectly. I even retrofited the remote control receiver. The only difference between the aux heater you have and the parking heater you can order as an extra is that in your configuration you do not have the Shut-Off valve installed. This means that the heater will warm the cooling fluid in all circuit including engine. In the parking heater configuration the shut off valve closes the long circuit (engine) and allows the short circuit (passanger compartment) to heat up quicly. As you do not have this valve installed your heater will have to heat the entire cooling circuit. The difference is that with valve the passanger compartment will worm in 5-10 minute, without it in 20-30 minutes. The good side is the fact your engine will be warm too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
He.
For activate timers on MMI question .
Require this recode 08 ACC and must be on in hidden menu ?
Can u send u code from 08?

·
Registered
264 Posts
The q7 tdi has aux heater factory installed. It is a webasto thermotop C. In order to activate the timers on MMI you need to recode some of the modules. It is quite simple but it will require a VAG cable. I can walk you tghru this if you want. I did in my 2007 Q7 and works perfectly.
Hi,

I am about to order a new Q7 here in Sweden, and I am very interested in the procedure for how to code the car to be able to have the parking heater. I do have the Vag-Com cable, so no problems there. Could you please show me how, or refer/direct me to this information?

Other than the remote, if I would want this option, isn't there any other hardware that needs installtion for this?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
In order to activate the timers on MMI you need to recode some of the modules. It is quite simple but it will require a VAG cable. I can walk you tghru this if you want...
Any chance you can post those instructions please ?

TIA

·
Registered
595 Posts
All Q7 with TDI engines (3.0 and 4.2) have an auxialiary heater factory fitted.
The difference between the aux heater and the parking heater is that the second one has 3 extra items:

1. Shut-Off Valve N279 is fitted. This valve is actuated by the Aux Heat Control Unit and it closes the long coolant circuit. In this case when the Parking Heater is turned ON (by MMI timer or by remote control) it closes the long coolant circuit (engine) and circulates the coolant only in the short circuit (passenger compartment). Without this valve fitted during cold winter days, it takes a very long time to warm the passenger compartment as the coolant is circulated also thru entire engine.
2. Remote control receiver. This is fitted in the luggage compartment on the right hand side, next to the Phone Aerial Amplifier. It is used to receive the commands from the remote control and to turn the aux.heater on/off. It is connected to 12v, with only one wire to the aux heat controller and to the antenna amplifier in the right C-Pillar. Not all Q7 though have the right antenna amplifier that has the output for heater remote control. All of them have the antenna fitted on the right side window.
3. The remote control which is a standard Telestart T90 unit. The remote control can be easily adapted to the aux heater control unit using Ch.4 under Adaptation.

To enable timers in the MMI it is very simple as long as the aux heater control unit is there.
To do this you have to check first with a Vag-Com interface if you can see and interogate the controller 18-Aux.Heat.
If YES then select controller 08-Auto HVAC (Climatronic control unit) and add 2048 to the actual coding. Save the coding and restart the Climatronic by turning ignition off and on again.
Now pressing the SETUP button on the Climatronic Control Unit (NOT THE ONE IN THE CENTER CONSOLE UNDER THE CAR BUTTON) you will see the timers menu active.
Using the Climatronic Setup you can turn Aux Heat ON/OFF, Ventilation ON/OFF and also program up to 3 timers for the Aux Heat.

Without the valve the Aux Heat works fine but you have to remember that it is taking longer to heat up the passenger compartment.

In october last year i have installed in my Q7 the Shut-Off Valve. I also bought from ebay the remote control receiver (is the same unit in a6, a8 and q7) and the original remote control and installed them. All are working very good and i used them a lot during winter.
The shut-off valve i bought it new from my German Audi Dealer and was about 100 Euros.
The Remote and the receiver were 200 Euros on ebay.

BTW, i have a receiver for sale that i bought for a friend of mine also from ebay but he sold the car and we never had the chance to install it.If anybody is interested drop me a PM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Neo, works a treat \\:D/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Neo, thanks for the info.

I have followed your steps but when I enter 2048 to the coding in the screen below, I get an 'out of range' error.

Am I doing something wrong (new to VCDS/VAGCOM).

Any pointers appreciated!

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Do you have controller 18-Aux. Heat?

You don't have to enter 2048, you have to enter 2048 + 1046 = 3094.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes Neo, I do have controller 18-Aux. heat

Now I understand you, sorry, my mistake. You did originally say "add 2048 to the actual coding" and instead I replaced the coding with 2048.

Thanks for putting me right, much appreciated!!

I will give it another go.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It works :D

Apologies for the basic question, but how exactly does the Auxiliary heater work? Does it use the car battery or fuel?

Also, I understand the timer options, but what do the other options, such as 'Synchron' and 'Aux. vent.' do?

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
it burns fuel to generate heat and uses the battery to power the coolant circulation pump and fans. The Climatronic Control Unit is monitoring the battery and it is programmed (factory default) to stop the Aux Heater if one of 2 conditions are meet:

- Battery voltage below 11.75 V;
- Tank in reserve (Please refuel dash indicator light ON);

The other 2 options you see there are:

SYNC : Temperatures in both zones are adjusted simultaneously from one dial, so you can not set different temperatures for front left and right areas- if set to ON;

Supl. Heat : If set to ON, if you drive in extremely cold weather and the engine can not reach by itself the 90 degrees standard temperature, will use the heater to warm the coolant fluid up to 90 degrees. This will prevent the engine to run cold.

Aux Vent : is for summer time. You can program the car to ventilate by itself based on a timer. It will not cool down the car but at least will not be extremely hot if you left it parked in the sun.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello,

I have bought a T90 telestarter and a remote key controller to fit in my Q7.
I have already enabled the factory installed auxiliary TDI parking heater in the MMI. I checked out the antenna modul in the boot, but I cannot find any available connections. What version of antenna modul do I need, and how do I connect the T90 to it? do I need special cables?

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hello,

I have bought a T90 telestarter and a remote key controller to fit in my Q7.
I have already enabled the factory installed auxiliary TDI parking heater in the MMI. I checked out the antenna modul in the boot, but I cannot find any available connections. What version of antenna modul do I need, and how do I connect the T90 to it? do I need special cables?

any help is appreciated.
Which telestarter you bought?
In Q7 the only one that works is 4F0 909 509, and you need the original remote control 4L0 909 507 A. If you have this ones i can walk you thru the installation procedure which is quite simple, including the adaptation of the remote control but you will need VAG-COM for this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello Neo,

I have bought the 4F0 909 509, but the remote is a different number, it is 7E0 963 511. VAG Com is no problem, I have that.
Please walk me thru, I will buy another remote if needed.

Regards,

Michiel

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
A8 query for Auxiliary Heating

Hi,

Does anyone know if also works on the A8?

I have a 3.0TDi which also has module 18 (Aux Heating) installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hello Neo,

I have bought the 4F0 909 509, but the remote is a different number, it is 7E0 963 511. VAG Com is no problem, I have that.
Please walk me thru, I will buy another remote if needed.

Regards,

Michiel
The remote control is not compatible at all as it works only on VW Touareg >2011, and VW Transporter>2010. For Q7 you need the code 4L0 909 507 A, it is the only one that works for Q7.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts