Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the shark fin antenna have a GPS antenna if OnStar is/was installed in a car? Could this antenna be used with the RNS-E?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know where to source a short extender cable? On the C5 A6 the cable to the OnStar unit is in the passenger footwell and the distance to the RNS-E unit is only a very short distance. The only cables I have seen are several meters in length which is way overkill. I only neeed 1M maximum -even that would be too long.

·
Registered
210 Posts
peterh said:
Anyone know where to source a short extender cable? On the C5 A6 the cable to the OnStar unit is in the passenger footwell and the distance to the RNS-E unit is only a very short distance. The only cables I have seen are several meters in length which is way overkill. I only neeed 1M maximum -even that would be too long.
Depending on what connections you have; I may be able to make on up for you at your desired length. I know you'll need the FAKRA at one end - what will you need on the other end?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Should be Fakra on both ends, one female the other male.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Premade cables can be purchased at an Audi dealer, in various lengths, from about 100mm to 9000mm. tell the dealer to look in the special cataloges section of ETKA, in this section you will also find any adapter end you could imagine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I just posted this info with part numbers in another thread last week. If you search for male female FAKRA you should find it. The parts you need are a long female/female cable and a male/male cable that only comes in a 300mm long section.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I am using my roof top antenna. I tapped in on the right-rear corner of the headliner. If you pull down the rear rectangular part of the headliner. Then pull back the quarter glass trim then you'll see the harness for connecting the GPS antenna extension.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone interested in an Onstar swap into a non OnStar car?

Hey BBC,

How's it going? Hypothetically, if you got the OnStar guts out of another Audi would it be difficult to put into my Allroad? You don't know it yet but I'm also plotting against you to complete a swap out of a third row seat from a donor Allroad.

Michael
RNS-e, XM, ME-3, Phatnoise, Dietz 1417, Dietz 1380, Amplified TV antenna, TeddyB's custom harness, Submarine antenna, Using every diversity antenna on rear quarter windows, VAG coded for remote window up/down, auto door lock at speed, NAV+ appearing on DIS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
todd1010,

Would you happen to have a pic of the exact location you mention? or of the harness? How hard is it to get the headliner out of the way and expose?

·
Registered
1 Posts
on the A3, it seems that the rear overhead lights are exactly below the submarine antenna. I wonder if removing that lighting harness would be an easy way to get at the existing antenna...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts