Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i also had OEM (trunk) nav unit, but i removed it prior to installing RNS-E.

reading some posts i found that i need to route some wire from the trunk in order for OnStar to work...

i don't really care about OnStar, but the main question is: Will my BT module work if I simply remove OnStar and change the wiring?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
At the old BNS connector in the trunk, connect the Phone NF wires to the navi NF wires and at the head unit move the pins from the navi NF positon to the Tel NF position. That should make OnStar work again and allow to simply replace the old OnStar interface with the new BT interface.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

ok, i think i'm getting it now! The only thing left is to find out what connector is going where... (my skills don't go more than plug-n-play...)

my main confusion was that some people mantioned that onstar works fine with rns-e but on cars that don't have prior OEM nav system...

are there any schematics available for trunk wiring?

thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Wasn't there a diagram on the old BNS? IIRC the NF wires are in the 10 pin connector but I don't have the exact assignment right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'll check tomorrow... I'm sure there is one on the old unit...

Not sure where NF wire should go though... back to another harness in the trunk?
Also I'm a bit confused what pins need to be changed in rns-e adapter...

I'll post more specific question tomorrow.

thanks for your patience! ;)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Check the old radio too, there should be a 10 pin connector with the navi NF wires. Those are the wires to move to the TEL NF position. Post pictures if you can.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You have to change two things:

In the 20-pin connector at your old BNS nav drive: jumper together wires 19 to 15 and wires 16 to 13. This will allow the telephone audio to continue to your headunit.

At your plug and play harness, there will be a male 10-pin connector with three wires. This is your telephone connector. Leave the wire in pin 1. Move the two other wires down (away from pin 1) one slot. In other words, move the wire from pin 3 to pin 5, then move the wire from pin 4 to pin 6. You should notice when you connect this to the 10-pin plug in your car that the wires actually mate up correctly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!

thanks much for the info! now i yhink i have enogh info to visit my garage...

the only thing i can't really understand is that if my phone wire wasn't connected how come i did hear sound coming from OnStar when i switched my PnP harness?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Midmaxi,
Lee's the man. I just did this install in a B6 S4 with onstar and oem nav last night.

I swapped out the onstar module for BT (pulling up the carpet and removing the pass seat was a bitch).

I also build a plug/play adaptor for the trunk 20 pin adaptor to reroute audio for the BT back into the rnse. Follow lee's instructions, you can do this with two jumper wires very easily.

Good luck!
-Ted

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

TeddyBGame,

did you disconnect OnStar battery (via VAG-COM) prior to removing it? If yes, what module/channel/values did you use? Is it necessary?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Re: thanks!

midimaxi said:
thanks much for the info! now i yhink i have enogh info to visit my garage...

the only thing i can't really understand is that if my phone wire wasn't connected how come i did hear sound coming from OnStar when i switched my PnP harness?
OnStar has an "emergency" speaker that is separate from the audio system. That way you can hear the onstar if you were in a bad accident or if your battery is dead and your audio system is not functional.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts