Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I finally got to install my OEM TV tuner. I've been collecting the parts for a few months and finally had a break in my install schedule to get this done. This won't be for everyone as I went a bit crazy and decided to go all OEM parts for this including antennas. I got really lucky on ebay with the TV tuner, this part is about $1700 (best price) by itself from Audi parts.

First, the parts list:

OEM TV Tuner for RNS-E: 4D0 919 146 C
TV tuner bracket: 4D0 919 892
TV tuner bracket support for Sedan: 4B5 919 897 A
Screws for TV tuner bracket (x4): N 902 751 01

Antenna harness from TV to Diversity box: 4B9 971 650 AH (this is officially an Avant part, but works fine for the sedan)
Diversity switcher for radio and TV reception: 4D0 035 530 F (C5 A6 ONLY)
Antenna amps for TV and radio: 4B5 035 225 P, Q, R, and S (C5 A6 sedan ONLY)
TV tuner to RNS-E cable available from Kufatec.

Here's the tuner mounted in the back of my sedan, the Avant body style will be slightly different. The bracket and support are actually the same parts used for the CD based navigation drive, so if you have that already then you are one step ahead of the game.

The next step is to replace all the antenna amplifiers and diversity switcher box with the TV capable parts. In the sedan, the amps are at the top and bottom of both sides of the back glass. The diversity box is under the rear parcel shelf. To get to these parts, you must remove the C and D pillar trims and the rear parcel shelf. Replacing the amps and diversity box is easy, just unbolt them and swap out your old parts for the new parts. Once this is done, simply use the TV antenna harness to connect the TV tuner to the new diversity switcher.

The top left antenna is also for AM...

Now for the main wiring, I used a Kufatec harness for the TV tuner. It was a really well built cable and well worth the $75 I spent for it, as opposed to all the time I would have spent building it myself. If you want to build one yourself, you can use the chart below. I also got a set of AV inputs for the harness so I have an AV1 and AV2 for any sources I want (rear camera is next). You can get these inputs from ebay.de for about $20 plus shipping.

The conenctions are simple with the Kufatec cable. Simply insert the 54-pin connector on the TV tuner, then run the cable under the carpet to the front of the car. I ran this down the driver's side which means I have to remove the door sill trims and the driver's side knee panel to properly get the harness placed in the wire looms and hidden out of sight. Once the wire has been run, the connections behind the headunit are simple as well. The 32-pin connector snaps into place and the wires for power, ground, CAN H, CAN L, and K-line get spliced in.

The third step is to recode everything with VAG-COM to tell the RNS-E that the TV tuner is installed, and to set the TV tuner to North America NTSC mode (this is not required since you can do this from the menu system as well).

Now that everything is connected I'll just give some screenshots from the working TV tuner. The screen shot function of the RNS-E does not work when the TV tuner is running, so these shots will be from a camera. As you can tell, when in TV mode, the TV tuner itself has a built in OSD similar to the RNS-E with the softkeys labeled in the four corners. This is a very nice touch to a great system.

First, the DIS when in TV mode:

TV on:

TV channel list is constantly updated (similar to constantly updated FM channel list)
The list appears by simply turning the control knob.

TV control mode:

Teletext mode:

TV setup main menu:

TV setup screen:

TV setup videosource:

TV setup norm settnigs:

TV setup AV norm settings:

TV setup teletext settings:

TV source menu:

TV sound menu:

In VAG-COM, you can check the signal strength of each of the four antennas in the "Measuring Blocks" numbers 2-5. It also shows an on-screen display as you're doing this with HEX values for each antenna strength.

Notes:
Nothing odd to note at this time. The system works great, and the diversity antennas really perform well. I get TV stations that I didn't even know existed. Of course, the TV picture will fluctuate as you are driving (that's what my passnegers tell me at least :roll: ) but it is still very good in most areas.

-The TV tuner will mute itself if the signal gets bad enough that the sound turns to static. It shows a little mute icon to let you know what it is doing. Nice touch.

-Since the channel list is constantly updated, this means that you can change channels by using the up/down buttons on your multifunction steering wheel to get to the next good station. Much easier than fumbling with a remote control.

-The TV channel is shown in the DIS so you always know what channel is on. The channel number is also shown at the top of the screen for a few seconds anytime the channel is changed.

-You can activate AV1 through VAG-COM by accessing Measuring block 7.
-You can activate AV2 through VAG-COM by accessing Measuring block 8.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

Actually this can be done on the Lambo, I'm just not sure where they wouuld mount the TV tuner... somewhere in the trunk near the CDC I suppose. All of the antenna amps are around the windshield on the Gallardo and I do have part numbers for the different TV parts if any Lambo owner is interested in this very involved retrofit. It will even retain the use of the rear cam (using AV2).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is easy if you know how. Each car is different as well as different years within the same model.

·
Registered
104 Posts
NSX, first off GREAT JOB!

I've got a B7 A4 with RNS-E. I've searched the net and found a few different models of the Audi TV Tuner...

Do I have to use, "4D0 919 146 C" as stated in your post, or can I use "4D0 919 146 A" or "4D0 919 146 B"?

Will the other models of the TV Tuner be compatible with my car. Also, can I use another set of diversity tv antennas? Thanks!

-HD

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
hd54321 said:
NSX, first off GREAT JOB!

I've got a B7 A4 with RNS-E. I've searched the net and found a few different models of the Audi TV Tuner...

Do I have to use, "4D0 919 146 C" as stated in your post, or can I use "4D0 919 146 A" or "4D0 919 146 B"?

Will the other models of the TV Tuner be compatible with my car. Also, can I use another set of diversity tv antennas? Thanks!

-HD
The RNS-E will only detect a "C" tuner, "A" and "B" tuners don't work with the RNS-E.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can use any antennas you want as long as they have the green and brown dual FAKRA connectors to plug into the TV tuner.

·
Registered
89 Posts
AV1 and AV2 options

If I have the TV Tuner installed can I run other video sources through it rather than use a Deitz mod? Or does AV1/AV2 not mean Audio/Video Input 1 and 2.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey NSX Jr - did you see my post about the wireless UHF

In endgadget there was a post about a wireless UHF video adapter that can broadcast on a set UHF channel any video source you plug into the RCA inputs.

I was wondering if that would make the installation of a backup camera easier as it saves on a lot of wiring.......

I posted this in the cable forum - would love to hear your thoughts on wireless vs wired.

I would really like to put a rear view camera in my 03 allroad and dont really need TV

·
Registered
24 Posts
does anyone have the pinout for the old connector from the tvtuner of rnsD that way i can reuse the wires ?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
good luck when digital tv is mandated and there is no longer "antenna" transmission of channels.
???

In the UK (and most of Europe AFAIK) TV will still be transmitted when it goes all digital - which is why Audi offer the hybrid analogue/digital TV tuners.

Are you saying that in the US TV will no longer be transmitted via terrestrial channels after the digital switchover and that TV must come via cable and/or satellite? If so then that's plain stupid IMHO.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Digital doesn't necessarily mean cable or sat. In Feb 09 the US will go all digital (ATSC) but you can still receive the signal via antenna. Germany is in the process of doing the same (for a while actually) and swithcing to all digital over the air (DVB-T).

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Germany is in the process of doing the same (for a while actually) and switching to all digital over the air (DVB-T).
same here in the UK - the switchover started earlier this year and is being done region by region with completion due in 2012. This will also be DVB-T initially, but during the rollout some HD channels using DVB-T2 will also become available (test transmissions have already taken place).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts